Audiobooks outdo films in emotional engagement

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Listen and weep: 'Audiobooks outdo films in emotional engagement'

[A] new University College London study has found that audiobooks are more “emotionally engaging” than film and television adaptations....UCL study backed by Audible finds unconscious responses to the same book scenes, witnessed in adaptations across different media, are strongest in the auditory format.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/21/listen-and-weep-audiobooks-outdo-films-in-emotional-engagement
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I can see this.

I think it also makes the production more timeless.

The Twilight Zone stories were recently redone as audio only radio dramas about 15 years ago. (They’re in the App Store).

These audio productions avoid becoming dated, due to having no outdated visual effects. I found myself being quite affected by the audio production of an episode that I had previously not noticed much in the old TV episodes, namely “The Passersby”.

My accent notwithstanding, that would be a great DR play to take part in, if only it were PD.

Regards,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

No big surprise here either.

In a book or even audiobook, you can use your own imagination to fit the characters, the setup, facial expressions... You still have to do some "work" to enjoy the story, definitely more so than with movies.

I love Lord of the Rings, and the movies are great I think. Still, every time I see Mr. Smith, I mean, Elrond, it feels like a slap in the face.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com