The Name of Librivox

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

I am a student of Latin, and when I saw the name "Librivox" I was intrigued. I took apart the name into "libri" and "vox". Libri means books, in the genitive case, or literally, "of the books". Vox simply means the voice. So, put that together and you get "The voice of the books" or Librivox.

Awesome
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

That's the idea! :D
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

Edmonds wrote: March 31st, 2018, 2:58 pm So, put that together and you get "The voice of the books" or Librivox.
With a hint of "libertas" -- Free.
Truth,
James
---------------------
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't see where you get "libertas"
Will you explain, please?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

According to Latin scholars if it were Latin it would be ungrammatical but according to our Glorious Founder it isn't meant to be latin so treat it like a wine review " an interesting word with a trace of free , an aroma of libraries and hidden trace of voice" :D

Anne
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

annise wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 3:30 pm According to Latin scholars if it were Latin it would be ungrammatical but according to our Glorious Founder it isn't meant to be latin so treat it like a wine review " an interesting word with a trace of free , an aroma of libraries and hidden trace of voice" :D
I love this!
and yes, hugh mentions somewhere that it is only pseudoLatin anyway. enough to evoke some Latin meanings but nothing strict or exact
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Horner94

Post by Horner94 »

Hello Edmonds -

Thanks for sharing the etymology of the word 'Librivox' - you learn something new everyday as they say! :D

Regards,
Chad