Help finding a story.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
DanAD

Post by DanAD »

So a couple years ago on a trip to California I put on a story. And for the last year and a half I've tried finding it again. It's a high fantasy story wherethe world is split by a magical barier and in one side magic is absent. A young mans guardian (maybe his uncle) is killed. And he must flee from the murderers (from the other side of the barier) He crosses the barier and seeks to over throw the warlock before the barier is destroyed. He is traveling with companions and reveals his family history along the journy.

It could be several books or just one but it's one I would enjoy listening to again. I believe the author read it but I can't be possitive. At any rate any advise on how to find it on here or it's name would be greatly apriciated.

Dan A. D.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmm. If the author read it, it's more than likely not a LibriVox project, since most of our works were published in 1922 or earlier. :lol:

There is a lot of sci-fi that is newer, but even those seem to be works published in the 1960s or earlier.

It was in English, and a solo (only one voice)?
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
DanAD

Post by DanAD »

It was definitely in the Librivox library it's the only audio app I have used.(because it's the best ;) ) But I don't know how scribl books and up on the app. any advise on how to find it?

Yes it was English and a solo recorder.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, I'm pretty sure the "LibriVox" app contains works that aren't from LV as well as our books. It's not of our invention, nor do we develop or support it. They just use our books. :)

I did a search in our catalog for both genres Fantasy Fiction and Science Fiction (two separate searches), Solo recordings, with status Complete and browsed through them. I didn't see anything that looks like what you're searching for. Of course, I could have overlooked it, or it could have been classified as a different genre.

Here's the Sci-fi search: https://librivox.org/search?title=&author=&reader=&keywords=&genre_id=30&status=complete&project_type=solo&recorded_language=&sort_order=alpha&search_page=1&search_form=advanced
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Cori

Post by Cori »

I don't think we have any author-read stories here, due to the deathiness required for most stuff to be in the public domain ;)

It sounds a little like (modern book) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22055262-a-darker-shade-of-magic perhaps -- though I didn't get on with the story when I tried to read it, so can't vouch for any travelling or murders, and I'd've thought the alternate London would have been fairly memorable, so this probably isn't right.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Would this be The Guardian's Apprentice, by J.Michael Radcliffe?
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Cori

Post by Cori »

Ooh, that sounds a lot closer to the description given, Peter!

What do you think, Dan?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I've not read it, but found it by searching for some of Dan's key phrases.
Peter
quarere

Post by quarere »

Endlessly sorry for the late reply, I only now stumbled upon the thread. Anyhow, I'm almost 98% sure you're talking about Terry Goodkind's The Sword of Truth cycle (probably one of these books: Wizard's First Rule; Stone of Tears; Blood of the Fold). It also features the magical boundary, the protagonist is Richard Cypher and Kahleen the confessor... oh and the "uncle" is actually the old wizard, right?

Also, can it be you've seen (rather than read) its TV adaptation, The Legend of the Seeker?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The original poster only posted on March the 25th and 26th, and hasn't been seen here since.
Peter