Other Hobbies?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

You can't always just record. What are some of your other hobbies?

Mine are, Knitting and sewing in the winter, Gardening in the spring/summer, Horseriding/training, dog training(rain or shine, or -25!), general house/farm maintenance, and fun in general swimming, tennis, volleyball(I am not as pretentious as that all sounds, don't worry, I wrestle calves in the mud too!) Anyway, I think there is more, as I live on a farm, the list can get extensive.
However, when winter comes the cycle grinds to a halt, and it gets pretty calm. Oh, and as we have a multi-generational home I have many nieces/nephews, and other friends(my brother-in-law, sisters) and my own younger sisters, most of the things that I said are done with them. We also spend a lot of time working out the problems that inevitably come with living like that. Things that are ignored only magnify.

Ok, I know a lot of you think I just made that up, but I didn't, and we're not even that weird. :lol:

And now I want to hear what you all do
Last edited by Win2017 on February 12th, 2018, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Win2017 wrote: February 12th, 2018, 3:35 pm You can't always just record. What are some of your other hobbies?
You can't??! :shock:

Haha kidding... I guess. :wink:

I enjoy a little gardening. It's all in containers, because I live in an apartment. I do some knitting and crochet, though not as much as I used to. And I enjoy puzzles and logic games. Hiking, if the weather's nice. Drinking coffee and petting my cats. :D
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Playing board games (solo and with friends), learning (gradually) to play banjo and guitar, bread making (on hold at the moment, as I've moved into a flat with a gas oven with appalling heat control and distribution).

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

I belong to a group of enthusiasts who get together at one another's places to play the piano so I spend a lot of time learning new music and practising (who knew how much fun practising could be, truly!) . I also sing soprano in a choir. And I do enjoy titivating the house and garden. Back in 1996/7 a number of us on a literary list-serve began a parody-writing game. The survivors (I mean that literally as most of us were pretty mature when it started) continue to try to confound one another but the pace has slackened somewhat.
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Peter Why wrote: February 12th, 2018, 4:19 pm Playing board games (solo and with friends), learning (gradually) to play banjo and guitar, bread making (on hold at the moment, as I've moved into a flat with a gas oven with appalling heat control and distribution).

Peter
Yeah, that is interesting. Our family only eats homemade bread made with natural yeast, its called sourdough bread. We simply hate storebought bread, and this stuff is so good, it is not sour at all as we have perfected the recipe. I am the sole breadmaker in our house, every 3 weeks I knead up a Rubbermaid and usually end up baking it at midnight, cause it takes like 8 or more hours of rising time. :D I don't know why I just gave you a full explanation of bread, but I did. And I also make beer. I know I must be sounding weirder by the minute. But we like having a beer and it is way too expensive and homemade is way better. :lol:
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Oh, super quick I want to clarify my username. Win, is the name of a new horse I got in 2017. His actual name is Winter, after a Major in Band of Brothers HBO series. And also cause he has white splattered on his hind end. :D
Hope Kuerschner

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Yes, I'm a sourdough user, too. I have San Francisco starter running for my white bread, and a really active rye starter for all-rye (especially "Borodinsky" bread) and wholemeal wheat breads.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Hobby? Bushwalking !

(That's "hiking" to other folks)

Here's two clips from the Blue Mountains, a couple of hours drive to the west of Sydney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmFgI1XR3Kg&index=1&list=PLJCZ8EFJdBMYzCArsPFrc0pzMYUe_RJ6_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vCGuVFz1KA
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Win2017 wrote: February 12th, 2018, 8:30 pm And I also make beer. I know I must be sounding weirder by the minute. But we like having a beer and it is way too expensive and homemade is way better. :lol:
We make beer too! Also mead, from the honey from our bees, and wine from our own grapes. Hubby is a keen gardener, and Greek - hence we started with making wine and then kind of branched out into the other stuff. Unfortunately ours isn't very good yet - the beer was OK but the wine was pretty awful. We make pizza dough from our own yeast starter, but I'm too scared to try bread - everyone I know who bakes bread uses a bread maker. Hubby also does quite a lot of carpentry - his last project was to make a desk with drawers for our middle girl. (I mention his hobbies because he's also on here, though he only really records when I ask him to do a voice for one of my dramatic projects!)

I also crochet a bit, knit a little and read (paper books) a lot! I sing in a choir and act as a taxi service for my 3 daughters who all decided to do different activities this year - one does gymnastics, one does dance and the other piano. Since we are in Australia, they all do swimming as well, which pretty much goes without saying around here... ;)

I also have a paying job - but I only do it two days each week, so that's kind of like a hobby! :lol:
watekinslet

Post by watekinslet »

I've started to pick up a few new hobbies that I'm excited about. One is archery :D Another is learning Spanish. I like the idea of doing archery because it's physical but also has a meditative aspect to it. As for learning a language, I just feel like I want to! Never really known another language other than English, but it's been quite fun learning Spanish with Duolingo.
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Elizabby wrote: February 13th, 2018, 5:10 am
We make beer too! Also mead, from the honey from our bees, and wine from our own grapes. Hubby is a keen gardener, and Greek - hence we started with making wine and then kind of branched out into the other stuff. Unfortunately ours isn't very good yet - the beer was OK but the wine was pretty awful. We make pizza dough from our own yeast starter, but I'm too scared to try bread - everyone I know who bakes bread uses a bread maker.
Interesting, we make wine to or should I say we just buy a 6-gallon pail of natural grape juice from an Italian place, pour it into a carboy, and viola! We have wine. We're not really into wine, and more like it sweet, so by the time it is actually beginning to be wine, it is usually gone. I make bread a lot, and you should not be afraid to do it! I have a recipe and instructions I could post for you.

With everything we do, it was simply to pull back from the worlds quick way of getting everything, and food and drink just happened to be first on the list. Also, there is more of a connection with the family through it. Not to be health nuts, but to watch what we do and not just be lusty for everything that doesn't satisfy anyway.
Elizabby wrote: February 13th, 2018, 5:10 am I also crochet a bit, knit a little and read (paper books) a lot! I sing in a choir and act as a taxi service for my 3 daughters who all decided to do different activities this year - one does gymnastics, one does dance and the other piano. Since we are in Australia, they all do swimming as well, which pretty much goes without saying around here...
I am also a bookworm! Can't get enough of books. All the activities I do, are here on the farm with family and friends. I am not musical at all, but I love listening to it. :D
Hope Kuerschner

Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

watekinslet wrote: February 13th, 2018, 6:09 am I've started to pick up a few new hobbies that I'm excited about. One is archery :D Another is learning Spanish. I like the idea of doing archery because it's physical but also has a meditative aspect to it. As for learning a language, I just feel like I want to! Never really known another language other than English, but it's been quite fun learning Spanish with Duolingo.
I am also learning Hebrew. It's been a challenge, and I would have stopped long ago, but for my mom, sisters, and friends all doing it, and forcing me too as well. At the beginning I was like, "okay I can do this, ya" and then 10 lessons in I was like, "nnooo". However, I am not discouraging you in any way! Once you get past the hump it is very rewarding. Do you only use Duolingo? Because I used, still use, a program called Pimsleur Language program. It is way better than anything I've looked at, because it drops you right in to the speaking. Check it out, you might like it. :)

My little sister and best friend are really into archery, and sometimes I go with them to the stack of bales that we shoot into, it makes me so sore though. :D
Hope Kuerschner

watekinslet

Post by watekinslet »

Win2017 wrote: February 14th, 2018, 4:17 pm
watekinslet wrote: February 13th, 2018, 6:09 am I've started to pick up a few new hobbies that I'm excited about. One is archery :D Another is learning Spanish. I like the idea of doing archery because it's physical but also has a meditative aspect to it. As for learning a language, I just feel like I want to! Never really known another language other than English, but it's been quite fun learning Spanish with Duolingo.
I am also learning Hebrew. It's been a challenge, and I would have stopped long ago, but for my mom, sisters, and friends all doing it, and forcing me too as well. At the beginning I was like, "okay I can do this, ya" and then 10 lessons in I was like, "nnooo". However, I am not discouraging you in any way! Once you get past the hump it is very rewarding. Do you only use Duolingo? Because I used, still use, a program called Pimsleur Language program. It is way better than anything I've looked at, because it drops you right in to the speaking. Check it out, you might like it. :)

My little sister and best friend are really into archery, and sometimes I go with them to the stack of bales that we shoot into, it makes me so sore though. :D
Ah nice, Hebrew looks hard! But worth it if you're going to use it a lot. I only use Duolingo atm, but will check out the one you suggested :) Ha, that archery does sound fun, but so far I've only been shooting at targets indoors. Will move outdoors soon enough hopefully.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

How is using Duolingo for Hebrew working out for you seeing as the language uses a different alphabet? Does DL have a module for that or did you have to use external materials for it?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

I personally have not used DL at all. The Pimsleur program has levels with 30 units each, and at the end of each level is 30 reading lessons. They take you from not knowing a single letter to reading sentences. However, my Dad is using DL and says its really good, but I do think you would need to know a bit of the bare basics from something else before just jumping into using DL. Also, I will say learning the alphabet of another language and even the reading is relatively easy, but it is all those in between contractions that are really hard to pick up. Pimsleur is the only program I know that teaches you a lot of that.(I am not advertising for them :lol:) I just really enjoyed the way it was put together. Also(last thing, as this is getting to be an article) I am now using a book called Ulpan Ivrit, you have to order it online from an Israeli store, it is really good once you're done the other thing. Okay I am done :D
Hope Kuerschner