How old people really are? (now with a new anonymous survey :)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Hey, there is so many names that you see constantly on this site, and voices that you hear. Like a lot of the moderators. It would be kinda interesting. Maybe eventually I would even tell you mine, that would be fun. Try guessing some other peoples as well. But... it's probably too personal, right. :hmm:
Last edited by Cori on February 21st, 2018, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tweaking the title to entice a few more participants. Scroll down for survey link.
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This was from 2016:
ZamesCurran wrote: June 14th, 2016, 9:19 am
Piotrek81 wrote:There used to exist a pinned thread with a spreadsheet where everyone who cared to answer could enter their age. It must have been unstickied.
That would apparently be: LibriVox Average Age Survey : viewtopic.php?f=25&t=39938
This however, just has a collection of birth years, with no connection to the person, so if someone were to die (or just drop out of contributing), they would still be counted (and counted as getting older).

Then there's : The average age (and birthdays?) : viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2938
On this thread people gave their birthdays in message so we can tie ages to people -- however, that thread is near 9 years old, and I noticed very few active contributors among the posters there. If someone is no longer involved, we really can't count their current age in the average.
I wonder if someone could re-create the age spreadsheet - clear out all entries and get brand new ones. :hmm:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

That would be fun. People constantly take me to be about a decade younger than I actually am when they meet me in person. And I think my voice probably sounds younger than I actually am, too. A few of the comments I've gotten from LVers who've gotten to know my voice lead me to think that they guess me to be quite young. It doesn't bother me, though, just kind of makes me snicker. :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm not anti the idea - but....
What I like about the internet is that I can't make judgements about you all based on colour, religion, race, age , income or sex unless you have chosen to tell me - even with names I have been wrong on a few occasions that I know of and probably more. And on the rare occasions I've seen a photo the member looks nothing like my imagined person.

Anne (or am I really Frederick)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

53 years old.

Bushranger's beard.

"Aww shucks, Ma'am" expression.

Next question. :lol:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Yeah, I guess people do want to keep things low key. I am almost 16, but many say I seem older, and I guess the fact that I am 6ft tall helps a bit. 8-)

And my first name is Hope, not Andrea, as I previously signed off, I usually go by another name on sites, but as I know you all now, that is my actual name. Plus, I was starting to confused myself :D
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
Cori

Post by Cori »

Oooh, Hope posted while I was tinkering :D

So! I've set a new spreadsheet up which will just show this year and not update next year. The format is a little different -- add your year to the first tab, then click to see the results in the second tab (tabs are at the bottom of the page.) Requests for additional calculations / charts are welcome! (Especially if you explain how to do them, or link me to instructions ;) )

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1amk4Ae8m87Xgt34yx03rEC5Zsy3DfqpuM30wMOTcc04/edit?usp=sharing

It should be anonymous, but if you want to be careful of personal details (like your gmail address), log out of Google first, or open this in a private tab of your browser.

No need to post dates/ages in this thread, unless you want to ... and I won't be taking numbers from this thread into the spreadsheet ... it's 100% opt-in. :)

P.S. The sheet is in a google account I set up specially for this. Please don't email me there -- I won't see it or reply. PM instead. :thumbs:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Cori wrote: February 15th, 2018, 2:37 pm Oooh, Hope posted while I was tinkering :D

So! I've set a new spreadsheet up which will just show this year and not update next year. The format is a little different -- add your year to the first tab, then click to see the results in the second tab (tabs are at the bottom of the page.) Requests for additional calculations / charts are welcome! (Especially if you explain how to do them, or link me to instructions ;) )

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1amk4Ae8m87Xgt34yx03rEC5Zsy3DfqpuM30wMOTcc04/edit?usp=sharing

It should be anonymous, but if you want to be careful of personal details (like your gmail address), log out of Google first, or open this in a private tab of your browser.

No need to post dates/ages in this thread, unless you want to ... and I won't be taking numbers from this thread into the spreadsheet ... it's 100% opt-in. :)

P.S. The sheet is in a google account I set up specially for this. Please don't email me there -- I won't see it or reply. PM instead. :thumbs:
Cool! I'm in!
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Okay, I think I get it, but are you saying that if you want you can put your username or name in the tab next to your age, or just anonymous dates? :)
Hope Kuerschner

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Win2017 wrote: February 15th, 2018, 3:04 pm Okay, I think I get it, but are you saying that if you want you can put your username or name in the tab next to your age, or just anonymous dates? :)
Just the date.

The bit about logging out of Google or opening a new tab is because if you're logged into Google, people might be able to use the collaboration tools to see that User A modified Cell X to say 2001, so User A is 17 this year. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Cori

Post by Cori »

Exactly what Tricia said. :) I can't see other people's edits when I'm logged in or out ... so I think it really is anonymous. But thinking about privacy online is always a good thing.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Cori,

I don't know Google Sheets enough, but there seems to be an error somewhere. It doesn't count the ages correctly in the "Group counts" column. For example, there is an age 45, but the row 9 has 0 in the "counts"... Could you check?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Cori

Post by Cori »

Good catch, tovarisch, it's not doing the boundaries correctly, and has put the 45 yr old into the 46+ group. I'll poke it!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Cori wrote: February 17th, 2018, 4:16 am Good catch, tovarisch, it's not doing the boundaries correctly, and has put the 45 yr old into the 46+ group. I'll poke it!
It's not just that one column, either. There is one 32-year-old, but there is a 0 in the 31-34 bracket. It's like everything is shifted a few years over.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Resolved. 8-) Side benefit, I now know how to use FREQUENCY properly. ArrayFormula is still a bit of a dark art, though.