Daydreams about books still copyrighted

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

*Stares wistfully off into space*

Maybe, when I'm 100 years old, The Neverending Story will be PD in English. And then I can read Morla the Aged One in a DR... :9: :roll:
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"When I'm 100 years old..."

The holo-deck will help you refine your delivery, but the Librivox Uploader is going to time-out if it has to wait four years for the file to come in from Alpha Centauri.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The most requested are the non PD "Anne of Green Gables" series books - closely followed by "To Kill a Mocking Bird" :D

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I could see those being popular requests. Actually, it surprises me that Anne of Green Gables isn't PD. I actually never had any idea how old it was, but just kind of assumed it must be old enough to be PD.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Most of Anne is PD and we have it all , just Windy Poplars and Anne of Ingleside aren't yet - and "to kill a mocking bird" is a very popular USA school text , so the less enthusiastic readers are hoping to be able to listen :D

Anne
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

You know what not-yet-PD books I’d like to be able to record, particularly as a play or DR?

The James Herriot books.

Particularly while we still have people with the genuine pronounced accents.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 25th, 2018, 11:59 pm You know what not-yet-PD books I’d like to be able to record, particularly as a play or DR?

The James Herriot books.

Particularly while we still have people with the genuine pronounced accents.

Chris
I'm not familiar with these. Looking him up, I realize that I have indeed heard of these books, but never read them. And, looking at some of the Goodreads reviews, I realize that I really should!
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

Dashiell Hammett, and his gal-pal, Lillian Hellman. Also, The Great Gatsby, and early plays by Cole Porter and Phillip Barry. US copyright law needs to grow up, push it up to 1935, and just apply to books. Disney can keep MM.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
venus12

Post by venus12 »

Gertrude Atherton will enter public domain next year, love her work! specially What Dreams May Come
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

venus12 wrote: February 18th, 2018, 6:39 am Gertrude Atherton will enter public domain next year, love her work! specially What Dreams May Come
Her 1922-and-earlier books are PD in the USA already, and some are in the catalog. But yes, she is still copyrighted in Life+70 countries until January 1, 2019. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Cori

Post by Cori »

What Dreams May Come could be read here this year by American/Canadian/Australian readers ... it's only us Europeans who have to wait a whole 'nother 10 months.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
carteki

Post by carteki »

When is the next PD year for LV? Is it 2021? I've forgotten.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

carteki wrote: February 18th, 2018, 10:15 am When is the next PD year for LV? Is it 2021? I've forgotten.
In 2019 we'll be able to record books published in 1923. It used to be so far away - now it's just around the corner!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
carteki

Post by carteki »

YAY!
But more rules to consider. 1922 was quite a nice line in the sand!
venus12

Post by venus12 »

thanks for the link! oh well 10 months just a short time away.
Cori wrote: February 18th, 2018, 7:19 am What Dreams May Come could be read here this year by American/Canadian/Australian readers ... it's only us Europeans who have to wait a whole 'nother 10 months.