What's for dinner?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm eating a delicious potato soup right now, with leeks, carrots, and chick peas. Anybody else have any favorite dishes? Recipes to share? Funny stories about what not to try in the kitchen?
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

“Funny stories about what not to try in the kitchen?”

If you’re boiling an egg, make sure not to let the saucepan boil dry.

You did? What was that “Whoompf!” sound? And what’s this pretty yellow-white pattern decorating the kitchen ceiling?

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

It's been colder than usual down here -- several freezes -- so my soup-pot has been filled daily. Currently on the menu: vegetable rice perloo. The base is onion, garlic, carrot, and celery, sauteed in canola oil, followed by 2 quarts of water, a couple of soup tablets (your choice), 1/2 cup of lentils or split-peas, and 1/2 cup of rice. Bring to a boil for a few minutes and add a package of frozen mixed vegetables, such as cauliflower & broccoli, or an Italian/Roma mix (from Publix, for fellow southerners), season with herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, black pepper) and pull the temperature back down to a moderate simmer for at least 1 hour. The rice expands and creates a sort of white sauce which eventually thickens, especially leftovers in the fridge overnight. If the rice-veg mixture burns a little on reheat, it's even better, like a roux.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Chicken, noodles, lots of vegetables (cabbage, onion, grated carrots, peppers) stirfried and with a coating of salty/sweet sauce with soysauce, brown sugar, ginger, worstershiresauce
Kathrine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yum! I did chicken-stuffed avocado the other day, one of my husband's favorites. Which is great for me, because I think it's the quickest and easiest thing I've ever made! Just saute some shredded chicken with olive oil, salt, garlic, and parsley (I also added savory the other day, just because, but my husband didn't like it as much). Then cut a couple of avocados in half and scoop them out. Leave a little bit on the rind to hold the shape. Then mix the chicken and avocado together and scoop it back into the shells! You can also add some parmesan or mozzarella if you like.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

We are having home-made pizza tonight.

But my funny story: I decided to try making my own pasta sauce from fresh tomatoes. It was all going OK until I tasted it and realised it was far too sour! So (typical new bride) I rang my mother in a panic wondering what to do? She told me "if it is too sour, add some sugar". After I hung up the phone, I realised I didn't ask her how much sugar to add! So I decided to start with four tablespoons and then I could always add more later...

The pasta sauce was completely inedible - anyone who knows anything about cooking would have started with one or two teaspoons - four tablespoons was clearly MUCH too much! I think we ended up having pizza that night too... ;)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby wrote: February 17th, 2018, 10:39 pm We are having home-made pizza tonight.

But my funny story: I decided to try making my own pasta sauce from fresh tomatoes. It was all going OK until I tasted it and realised it was far too sour! So (typical new bride) I rang my mother in a panic wondering what to do? She told me "if it is too sour, add some sugar". After I hung up the phone, I realised I didn't ask her how much sugar to add! So I decided to start with four tablespoons and then I could always add more later...

The pasta sauce was completely inedible - anyone who knows anything about cooking would have started with one or two teaspoons - four tablespoons was clearly MUCH too much! I think we ended up having pizza that night too... ;)
Haha learn by doing, right?

Then there was that time I fell asleep while the meatloaf was in the oven... I think it cooked for three hours instead of one. So I didn't have anything for the potluck that night... And I was late.
venus12

Post by venus12 »

we've been eating crock pot food for dinner for a week now. It's easy to use just see if the meat is browned than just dump everything else into the same pot.