One Book A Week Club 2018

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Heh, Mary -- I keep forgetting I could post to the thread, I just zip in and update the same post over and over. Needs doing again for last month, so I'll post too this time. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here I am, once again at this lonely LibriVox forum with my list of books read in Apri: :)

"Nuggets in the Devil’s Punchbowl “ by Andrew Robertson. Gutenberg download. Pleasant, entertaining book of short stories of Australian frontier life. Has a definite cowboy feel to it.

The Mermaid of Druid Lake and Other Stories” by Charles Weather Bump. LibriVox download OK stories. Some fairly entertaining.

We All Hear Voices” by Sam Taggart. Library sale book. Nice, entertaining fiction story taking place in small town Arkansas. Sam is an acquaintance, though we haven’t seen him in many years. This book was easy to read and entertaining.

The Witness for the Defence” by A.E.W. Mason. LibriVox download. Enjoyed this book a lot. Based on a play written by the same author. Also made into a movie in 1919. Well written and very well read by Nicholas Clifford.

The People of the Book” by Geraldine Brooks. Library Book. Excellent novel. The story is a fictional account of an actual manuscript (The Sarajevo Haggadah, one of the oldest surviving Jewish illuminated texts.) told in speculative, fictional incidents often occurring during historic periods telling what was happening to the manuscript at the time. The story line is somewhat like the movie “The Red Violin”. I enjoyed this book a lot and especially like this writer.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I finally finished The Last of the Mohicans today! :D I think I started it maybe a year and a half ago? For some reason, I could only read it in fits and starts. It was pretty different from what I was expecting, and I'm not sure yet how I feel about it.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

It's June and time for my submission of books read in May. An interesting list.

"The Window at the White Cat" by Mary Roberts Rinehart. LibriVox Download Entertaining, enjoyable book. I like her characters.

"The Virgin Blue" by Tracy Chevalier. Book from library sale. Pretty good. One of those plots where characters in a past century have similarities to characters in the present century. Very good in spots, but sometimes a little awkward and not quite right. This was the author’s first book, so she probably hadn’t quite found her voice.

"The Homely Heroine" by Edna Ferber. LibriVox download. OK stories. Didn’t really strike my fancy.

"The Billy Bob Tapes: A Cave Full of Ghosts" by Billy Bob Thornton and Kinky Friedman. Kindle library download. Very good book. I’ve been a Billy Bob fan for several years. I've always appreciated his small town background. This book was written from taped interviews, so it was like sitting down having a conversation with a person. He’s very complimentary of people who have helped him along the way.

"The Couple Next Door" by Shari Lapena. Library e book download. Very good, entertaining. Fairly short novel about a couple whose child is kidnapped. Lots of suspense and excitement. Ending was sort of shock, though some aspects were hinted at throughout the book. I would have preferred a nicer ending.

"City of Endless Night" by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child. Library audiobook download. The latest in the Pendergast series. Not their best effort, but still a good mystery. Predictable in some parts, but still very entertaining. As always, Rene Auberjonois does an excellent job as the narrator.

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

I've been very lax about remembering to update my book list in this thread. Today I finally posted updates for the first time since January :oops: :shock:
Here's my original book list post, as of now up-to-date:
viewtopic.php?p=1425910#p1425910
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here is my posting for books read in June. Just a few books completed, though there are several in progress. Hhhmmm... :hmm: maybe if I read just one book at a time, I'd get more finished each month. Nah - that wouldn't be any fun. Anyway, here's the June list.

Year of Wonders” by Geraldine Brooks. Library book. Once again, another excellent book by this writer.
Barracoon: The Story of the Last Black Cargo” by Zora Neale Hurston. Hoopla download. Excellent book written in the 1920s, but only recently published outside of scholastic circles. The author interviewed an elderly black man, a former slave who was on one of the last slave ships to reach the United States in 1859. Fascinating book.
Razor Girl” by Carl Hiaasen. Library audiobook download. Good book. Fun read with lots of colorful characters. Not great literature, but lots of fun.
Indian Summer” by John Knowles. Print book from library sale umpteen years ago. Novel about a young man returning from WWII, his plans for the future and consequences of meeting with an old friend. Excellent characters and writing.

thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

My goal at the beginning of the year was to read at least two books a month (a non-f and a fiction). So far:

The Valiant Papers, by Calvin Miller :|
1984, by George Orwell :help:
Curious Faith, by Logan Wolfram (non-f) :9:
The Unseen Realm, by Michael Heiser (non-f) :mrgreen:
The Invisible War, by Chip Ingram (non-f) :D
Strong Poison, by Dorothy L. Sayers :)
How to Listen to God, by Charles Stanley (non-f) :)
The Fisherman's Lady, by George Macdonald 8-)
The Career Manifesto, by Mike Steib (non-f) :)
Arsene Lupin, Gentleman-Thief, by Maurice LeBlanc 8-)
Seasons of Waiting, by Betsy Childs Howard (non-f) :thumbs:
The Aisles Have Eyes, by Joseph Turow (non-f) :shock:
Village School, by Miss Read :wink:
Word of Mouth, by Susan Blu (non-f) :clap:

Plus, I have skim-read many others...
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

I noticed you read The Fisherman’s Lady by George MacDonald. That is probably my favourite book, or one of them, I don’t quite like that it’s abridged...

I was quite obsessed with his writings for a while. He is one of very few authors that touch on the deeper issues of life. The sequel to that book is actually better in my opinion(I love the crazy horse Kelpie, I do train horses so maybe that contributes :lol: )

The second book follows how he becomes great and rich, yet still has to serve those around him. I do wish more men like Malcolm existed in real life. :D
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Yes, I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did! I will definitely be reading more by George Macdonald in the future. :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

thestorygirl wrote: July 21st, 2018, 3:38 pm Yes, I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did! I will definitely be reading more by George Macdonald in the future. :D
George MacDonald is certainly my favorite author, and The Fisherman's Lady was the first of his realistic novels I ever read. I'm actually currently working on recording the original unedited story, Malcolm. It's been slow going so far, but I intend to focus more of my attention on it and not pick up quite so much in other projects until it's finished.
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Wow! That is a huge undertaking! I just finished recording my first solo and know how long that took me, but a Macdonald novel would be even harder. Good luck!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

It's several days in to August, so time to list my books read in July. I know, I know...everyone is super excited about this! :D Anyway, here is my list. I read several very good books last month. This is the type of project that I like. :)

A Gentleman in Moscow” by Amor Towles. Library ebook download. Excellent, entertaining book. Pleasant and surprising.

The Shipping News” by E. Annie Proulx. Print book from library book sale. Excellent book. Enjoyed it a lot.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time” by Mark Haddon. Print book from library sale. Another excellent book. A good read.

Girl Waits with Gun” by Amy Stewart. Library e-book download. Good entertaining book, circa pre WWI. Fiction based on fact. Nice book.

The Family Romanov – Murder, Rebellion & the Fall of Imperial Russia” by Candace Fleming. Audio book from library sale. Excellent book about the turmoil in Russia during the early years of the 20th century.

Cori

Post by Cori »

Oh, A Gentleman in Moscow is on my TBR pile -- I'll move it up to the top. Thanks for helping me prioritise, Mary! :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here is my list of books read in August.

"The Canadians of Old" by Philippe Aubert de Gaspe (translated), LibriVox recording. Well written, mid 18th century novel about French and English in Canada. Very nicely read by Bruce Pirie.
"Murder in Mesopotamia" by Agatha Christie. Archive.org. Audiobook reading by Anna Massey. Nice Agatha Christie mystery, excellently read by Ms. Massey. Very entertaining
"Caleb’s Crossing" by Geraldine Brooks. Library book. Another excellent book by Ms. Brooks. She has a definite talent for writing in an old fashioned style with a fresh, up-to-date feeling.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I need to update my list. I've been doing much more reading this year than I thought I'd be able to do, so I'm actually pretty far behind. :roll: