Crocheting!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

That's funny! I started off as a knitter, but as soon as I mastered crochet I was like, Oh this is where I belong! :thumbs:

Crochet is much quicker to make something, so it's good for those us with short concentration spans. I'm also very right handed and very unco with my left - so I found that knitting requires a lot of left hand work, but crochet doesn't. Knitting also requires quite fussy tension - crochet is much more forgiving! Also, I like the open, lacy look of crochet - I admit that knitting is probably more practical, but since I mainly make scarves, shawls and hats it doesn't really matter. I'm starting to try my hand at amigurumi, but it's harder than it looks!

I usually sit at my computer and crochet as I PL - that way I can just look up and check the text if something doesn't make sense, but I'm primarily experiencing it as a listener would. Also, I need to look to crochet - I'm not good enough to do it without looking!
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

:lol: You just described me to a T. We have a home fellowship, and have meetings twice a week and then on Sunday, so there is hours of just talking and listening, it is really ideal to just pull out your bag and knit. Also, I am not lefthanded but my Dad is, and I think I got a bit of it, cause my friends look at me funny when I play cards or eat with my left hand. It really is just what you like better, and I am, like you said, fussy with it, so we're a perfect match. I am getting more intricate as I become more experienced. Before I would do the bare basics, but now I put a lot of fair isle into my sweaters.

But having said that, I do get bored after a like 2-3 months of knitting, which is perfect cause then winter is over and I am too busy with other things. :)
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
SPly

Post by SPly »

Elizabby wrote: February 14th, 2018, 9:19 pm That's funny! I started off as a knitter, but as soon as I mastered crochet I was like, Oh this is where I belong! :thumbs:

Crochet is much quicker to make something, so it's good for those us with short concentration spans. I'm also very right handed and very unco with my left - so I found that knitting requires a lot of left hand work, but crochet doesn't. Knitting also requires quite fussy tension - crochet is much more forgiving! Also, I like the open, lacy look of crochet - I admit that knitting is probably more practical, but since I mainly make scarves, shawls and hats it doesn't really matter. I'm starting to try my hand at amigurumi, but it's harder than it looks!

I usually sit at my computer and crochet as I PL - that way I can just look up and check the text if something doesn't make sense, but I'm primarily experiencing it as a listener would. Also, I need to look to crochet - I'm not good enough to do it without looking!
That's funny! I was taught knitting by my grandmother about five years ago, but it took so long to make something!
I was given a learn to crochet book for a birthday present, and I have been hooked (pun intended) ever since! One big difference between knitting and crochet is that knitting is a tighter stitch. I was working on a sweater as a gift for someone, but they will have to wear a T-shirt under it, because it is see through.
I really like crochet much better because it is faster, I can finish a wearable vest for myself in two days!
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

Win2017 wrote: February 10th, 2018, 7:36 pm Oh, I am a knitter through and through. It's not that I think crochet is silly. I just can't freakin do it, like I mean can not. Go figure, though. I knit sweaters, socks, scarves, vests, hats, mittens, but mostly children's sweaters for my nieces and nephews. Where I live, wearing wool, can save your life, it is I think -25 tonight, and it was 10 below that yesterday. And actually, I hate knitting socks, I have second sock syndrome, so I am like really excited to knit the first one, and I finish it and think “ Ok I am all done!”
hahaha! I'm the same way but with crochet! T_T I can't wrap my head around knitting and I really tried several times. Interestingly enough, my twin sis knits and she never got into crochet like I did. lol Go figure! :D I've yet to crochet with wool! Def looking forward to it but the prices make my heart sink a bit. >.<
Last edited by Kehinde on March 29th, 2018, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If not now, when? Wake up and live!
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

mightyfelix wrote: January 18th, 2018, 12:00 am But my perfectionism is getting in the way. I'm not really sure how well it's matching up to the original, since I seem to have misplaced it... :cry:

Ohhhh, I definitely know what you mean! I think we're all perfectionists when it comes to creating something. lol I'm super anal about getting it right- and if I made a mistake but didn't realize it till like the 10 rows down I'll not think twice of unraveling everything to fix just one mistake and get it right. Sometimes a couple of days have gone by before I realize there's a mistake and yup there's me unraveling 2 days worth of work! It may seem a waste of time but I can't rest and I'm truly dissatisfied with it if I messed up and didn't go back to fix it. It's that serious. I look at it this way, at least it's one mistake that I can learn from and learn not to do or watch out for the next time around.

Hope your project is picking up! :D I just finished a lovely tunic crocheted with cotton thread. And taking a break from crocheting to think of my next project! :D There's a lovely dress pattern I recently acquired that I so so badly want to crochet-- but they recommend that you use silk thread. I haven't checked the silk thread prices -- but I know it's not cheap. Crocheting can get quite expensive!
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

Elizabby wrote: February 14th, 2018, 9:19 pm Also, I like the open, lacy look of crochet - I admit that knitting is probably more practical, but since I mainly make scarves, shawls and hats it doesn't really matter. I'm starting to try my hand at amigurumi, but it's harder than it looks!

Yes- I actually started out with amigurumi but slowly got into the harder part of crochet with the open lacy look -- I have this dream of having a closet full of dresses and clothes that I crocheted. lol Yup! Slowly changing my closet one outfit at a time rofl

I put all my patterns on my tablet and use my laptop to watch and listen to media-- I find it really convenient so while something's playing I don't need to stop or pause it if I need to check on the pattern etc. :D I used to use my phone for patterns but screen was tad too small.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kehinde wrote: March 29th, 2018, 9:21 am I have this dream of having a closet full of dresses and clothes that I crocheted. lol Yup! Slowly changing my closet one outfit at a time rofl
You will get there eventually without even noticing, if these projects are ones that you just enjoy doing. My sock drawer is about 50/50 store bought and handmade socks right now, because I enjoy making socks so much. I keep adding new pairs to my drawer as I make them, and then without realizing it, my drawer is full of them!
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

mightyfelix wrote: March 29th, 2018, 9:43 am
You will get there eventually without even noticing, if these projects are ones that you just enjoy doing. My sock drawer is about 50/50 store bought and handmade socks right now, because I enjoy making socks so much. I keep adding new pairs to my drawer as I make them, and then without realizing it, my drawer is full of them!
haha- true! Do you end up giving away your handmade socks? I find I give my completed projects away to close friends and family. Also what's your opinion on using acrylic vs. cotton or wool? I found myself using cotton now because my projects with acrylic ended up looking... strange for some reason.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kehinde wrote: April 2nd, 2018, 3:43 pm

haha- true! Do you end up giving away your handmade socks? I find I give my completed projects away to close friends and family.
Yes, I've given away many pairs. Several of my family members have one or more pairs, and a few of my friends.
Also what's your opinion on using acrylic vs. cotton or wool? I found myself using cotton now because my projects with acrylic ended up looking... strange for some reason.
It depends what I'm making. Most of my socks are done with wool/nylon. Cotton is good for dish cloths and toys, but I don't like it for garments because it doesn't have any elasticity and doesn't keep its shape well over time.
lynn0301

Post by lynn0301 »

I just picked up crocheting back in February. I've made two granny squares, and a hat which unfortunately didn't turn out too well. It isn't much, but I do plan on doing more. My potential projects now are figurines, a scarf, and a shawl.

Yes, I rely on patterns since I'm a newbie.
Difficile lectu mihi mars et jonicu difficile- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Recently, I made a crochet doll that turned out to be the size of a six-month-old baby, MUCH larger than expected. :shock: And before that I made a blanket, some of it crocheted while PL-ing. Isn’t it fun to do crafts while you proof listen?
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

I can crochet and knit, but I prefer to crochet. :) I mainly make toys. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I love making toys for babies and baby showers. They last so much longer than clothes, and there are so many cute animals to choose from.
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

Animals are definitely a favorite thing to make of mine mightfelix. ☺️ I find that my two younger cousins really like them.☺️
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Just finished a Raspberry Shell. Pics on my FaceBook:Christine Rottger