Crocheting!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
SPly

Post by SPly »

Hi,
Who here likes to crochet?
I love to crochet, I crochet headbands, animals, scarves, hats, and a vest!
Do any of you crochet without patterns?
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I love crochet! I usually use a pattern though, unless I'm just playing around with scrap yarn, or making scarves. I finished a neat green scarf recently-- spider stitch with a row of dc/chain in the middle to make a neat pattern, and then more spider stitch around all the edges. I love how it turned out.

this is my current project, in blue and grey yarns: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lizard-6
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yes to all of the above! :mrgreen:

I'm fascinated by crochet patterns but I also crochet without a pattern on occasion.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

You wild people! I can only crochet with a pattern - I like that lizard scarf one, so I've added it to my Ravelry favourites. I'm Elizabby on there, same as here.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

cool, I'll have to find you over there.

I finished the lizard scarf over Thanksgiving-- it turned out nicely! maybe I should take photos to post somewhere.

this is my next thing (not crochet, but still cool): https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/any-yarn-scarf
the pattern seems to have some mistakes in it but after six tries and some frustrated diagraming I finally figured out how to make it work.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
SPly

Post by SPly »

Wow!
That is great!
It is awesome to hear from people who share my interests!
Here is a link to some headbands I am trying to sell.
https://www.fiverr.com/sarahpaschall/make-you-a-crocheted-headband-with-flower

(That scarf is Gorgeous!)

:D
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

wahhh Finally found this thread! lol Me too!! Love crocheting with a passion! And I must admit that's one of the reasons why I didn't really have time to get back on recording books with Librivox because crocheting took over. >.< ahem BUT am better at balancing all my interests/passions now -- lol so it should be ok. >.> :D

I first began with crocheting toys-- and then diversified into making actual articles of clothing and accessories :D Here are a few that I made :D

https://cchayo.deviantart.com/

I've crocheted some small projects without a pattern-- such as cellphone covers :D I made several to give away to family over the holidays.

One thing's for sure - I can't stop crocheting! lol Sometimes have to remind myself to stop and rest a spell. Had a scare several years back when I'd just be all gung ho and get all wrapped up in the project and finishing it. Wrist and hand began to get numb and cramp up and then it began to hurt. T_T
If not now, when? Wake up and live!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kehinde wrote: January 17th, 2018, 1:12 am And I must admit that's one of the reasons why I didn't really have time to get back on recording books with Librivox because crocheting took over. >.<
I've got the opposite problem! My poor languishing projects all think that I love making audiobooks more than them. (I neither confirm nor deny these allegations.)
Kehinde

Post by Kehinde »

mightyfelix wrote: January 17th, 2018, 4:51 pm
I've got the opposite problem! My poor languishing projects all think that I love making audiobooks more than them. (I neither confirm nor deny these allegations.)
haha I can see how recording can take over too! You just get engrossed in it (and get addicted!) and time flies. lol before you know it 3 hours have passed:D That's how it is when you're having fun :D

What other languishing products have you got?
If not now, when? Wake up and live!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

There are two main ones right now. One is a pair of socks (knitted). I love socks, and have made so many pair for so many people, I've lost count!

The other is a small crocheted doily. That's one that I'm actually replicating from an older damaged doily, so I've had to reverse engineer it to get the pattern, first of all. And I feel really bad about not finishing that one, because the original doesn't belong to me (and I'm not really sure where it is at the moment), and I'm really close to finishing, but I keep not doing it! I should really finish and give it back to the person I'm making it for... But my perfectionism is getting in the way. I'm not really sure how well it's matching up to the original, since I seem to have misplaced it... :cry:
carteki

Post by carteki »

I do cross stitch in the summer and crocheting in the winter. I usually go through around 10-12 balls of yarn during a season making ribbed beanies which nowdays get donated to friends / a cancer center. I modified the pattern from one I found on the internet and know it off by heart so no pattern necessary - also pretty simple. It's one ball of wool per beanie. (I also have a problem with finishing stuff) I also do squares to make up blankets - 20cm x 20cm. I'll usually try out something new when making the squares as I get bored easily. Right now I want to do whirls of different colours and then end the circle off by squaring it. At some point I want to crochet a tissue (klenix) holder as I'm also trying to reduce my plastic usage. I had a sewn one years ago and it worked wonders - kept my tissues in one place and got refilled when empty, but haven't found any great yarn shops near me.
Generally I'll look for a pattern for something, modify it to suit me (for the tissue holder I'll make a smaller version of a clutch purse pattern) and if I like it - like with the beanies - it'll become a staple.
I've 1 1/2 kids jumpers to my name. I finished one, and the other I finally got the correct yarn for - amazing how it varies from brand to brand - but still need to feel motivated to finish...
mongope

Post by mongope »

¡Me encanta el crochet! Pero no tengo tiempo de todo. ¿Alguien se aburre? :hmm: !!Hay tanto por hacer!! :D
Montse
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

Oh, I am a knitter through and through. It's not that I think crochet is silly. I just can't freakin do it, like I mean can not. Go figure, though. I knit sweaters, socks, scarves, vests, hats, mittens, but mostly children's sweaters for my nieces and nephews. Where I live, wearing wool, can save your life, it is I think -25 tonight, and it was 10 below that yesterday. And actually, I hate knitting socks, I have second sock syndrome, so I am like really excited to knit the first one, and I finish it and think “ Ok I am all done!”
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
watekinslet

Post by watekinslet »

Interesting :) I've always struggled to understand the difference between crocheting and knitting, but I'm sure there's a lot of things to consider...
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

watekinslet wrote: February 13th, 2018, 6:10 am Interesting :) I've always struggled to understand the difference between crocheting and knitting, but I'm sure there's a lot of things to consider...
Well, to begin with, I like having a needle in either hand and the feel of all the stitches, I feel like you can be more precise. But, actually, I really like the look of knitting and the feel. Crochet never looks as good to me, but it is personal preference :)
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM