Audio books - underuse

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

I have been listening to audio books for approx. ten years now. I thoroughly enjoy the practice and always encourage others to try. One fellow I worked with told me he had never read a complete book. I got him started listening to audio books. He was so moved when he thanked me. We both got something in our eyes.

I believe that a huge portion of our society would benefit greatly if more effort was made to present the advantages of audio books. So many people are unable to read for whatever reason, but those with hearing could certainly use the service. Those of us who can read can only guess at what those who can't are missing.

I worked in northern Saskatchewan in a small First Nation community where the lack of reading skills was glaringly apparent, especially among the older people. Some had never learned to read, while some had lost their good eyesight.

I would love to hear others' thoughts on this.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I know two people with failing eyesight. One loves audiobooks. The other doesn’t because they aren’t “real books”. She listened to one once and didn’t like it, so decided not to listen to anymore. To me that’s like hearing someone sing a song you don’t like, then decide you’re never going to listen to anyone sing again.

Books in any format are great, so far as I’m concerned. I’ve discovered a lot of wonderful books thanks to sites like LibriVox.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

Audiobooks have become such a regular part of my world that I cringe at the thought of them not being available.
45-minute drive to work
50-minute walk at lunchtime
45-minute drive home

Bring on Librivox and Audible...
Why yes there IS a blog about choral singing. Thanks for asking.
http://www.thewindwardchoralsociety.org/news/