LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 2:45 am

Post Posted:: August 16th, 2017, 9:07 pm 

A note today of another LV member's passing made me look up world death rate. Did you know, that it is about 8 deaths per 1000 population?

Given that we have more than 60,000 members, and assuming there are very few duplicates, then about 500 (five hundred!) of those who have signed up in the last 12 years are no longer living.

It's startling (or what is the right word?)

Post Posted:: August 16th, 2017, 9:22 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

I often wonder what has happened to regulars who suddenly disappear mid project, I'm sure there are deaths we don't hear about. So it's not we don't appreciate their efforts, we just don't know about them.

Anne

Post Posted:: August 16th, 2017, 10:25 pm 

I wanted to make sure that was 8 deaths per thousand per year, and looked the phrase up on wikipedia. It's alarming that the corresponding birth rate is 18.5 per 1,000 per year.

Part of being a friend with someone is sharing some of your interests or ways of thought. The people that get involved in LibriVox become a network of friends through the work we do for each other and through sharing our experiences, senses of humour and so on, mostly without actual contact. It's sad to watch our friends fall back into the earth we come from.

I think quite a few of us have given our executors instructions to pass this news onto the LV community when it happens.

Peter

Post Posted:: August 16th, 2017, 11:57 pm 

Peter Why wrote:
I think quite a few of us have given our executors instructions to pass this news onto the LV community when it happens.

I don't want to be flippant, but I had to re-read this sentence..... My brain interpreted that word as "executioners" the first time through.

Journal of Francis Asbury, second Methodist bishop and traveling preacher in America from 1771-1815
Religion: Mushrooms on the Moor by Frank Boreham (died 1959)
Fantasy: The Double Life of Mr. Alfred Burton

Post Posted:: August 17th, 2017, 12:51 am 

In my case, he may well be my executioner, as he has Power of Attourney over my health status!

Peter

Post Posted:: August 17th, 2017, 1:16 am 

Peter Why wrote:

That's a good idea - I don't think my husband would be in any fit state to login here and tell people that I've died, even though he does have an account here. The executor is a better choice.

FULL: Jo's Boys Little Men W&D Teacup Club Martyr 2nd Mrs Tanqueray