Statistics

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » August 16th, 2017, 9:07 pm

A note today of another LV member's passing made me look up world death rate. Did you know, that it is about 8 deaths per 1000 population?

Given that we have more than 60,000 members, and assuming there are very few duplicates, then about 500 (five hundred!) of those who have signed up in the last 12 years are no longer living.

It's startling (or what is the right word?)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » August 16th, 2017, 9:22 pm

I often wonder what has happened to regulars who suddenly disappear mid project, I'm sure there are deaths we don't hear about. So it's not we don't appreciate their efforts, we just don't know about them.

Anne
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » August 16th, 2017, 10:25 pm

I wanted to make sure that was 8 deaths per thousand per year, and looked the phrase up on wikipedia. It's alarming that the corresponding birth rate is 18.5 per 1,000 per year.

Part of being a friend with someone is sharing some of your interests or ways of thought. The people that get involved in LibriVox become a network of friends through the work we do for each other and through sharing our experiences, senses of humour and so on, mostly without actual contact. It's sad to watch our friends fall back into the earth we come from.

I think quite a few of us have given our executors instructions to pass this news onto the LV community when it happens.

Peter
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist." Kenneth Boulding, 1973

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » August 16th, 2017, 11:57 pm

Peter Why wrote:I think quite a few of us have given our executors instructions to pass this news onto the LV community when it happens.
I don't want to be flippant, but I had to re-read this sentence..... My brain interpreted that word as "executioners" the first time through.
Devorah Allen

Journal of Francis Asbury Traveling preacher in fledgling America
The Crook in the Lot Faith in the midst of difficulties
The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle Dramatic Reading
Insect Adventures Children's NF (US or Life+50 only)

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » August 17th, 2017, 12:51 am

In my case, he may well be my executioner, as he has Power of Attourney over my health status!

Peter
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist." Kenneth Boulding, 1973

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » August 17th, 2017, 1:16 am

Peter Why wrote: I think quite a few of us have given our executors instructions to pass this news onto the LV community when it happens.
That's a good idea - I don't think my husband would be in any fit state to login here and tell people that I've died, even though he does have an account here. The executor is a better choice.