Antiquated speech...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
carteki

Post by carteki »

I use Anon frequently. It helps separate the wheat from from the chaff!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Johndec wrote:I might try to bring 'erstwhile' back into fashion... :wink:
Oooh, yes, and then you can vary it depending on circumstances with 'whilom'!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Where the job advertisement says "Provide three references", you could respond "Ibid., Op. Cit., and Loc. Cit.", but I bet you won't get the job.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
J_N

Post by J_N »

I know how to use i.e. correctly - does that count? :lol:

On a serious note, though: I am not sure about my English but I have been told quite often that my German sometimes is rather high-brow (i.e. old-fashioned). I am pretty sure this comes from reading too much. :mrgreen:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I don't think this one's antiquated, precisely, but regional. Today I used the word "stramash" in a facebook comment. I don't know why this is the word that came to mind as the most fitting (in reference to the uproar people always make over the Starbucks holiday cups every year :roll:), but I know I got it from one of my George MacDonald books.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I love the words “whipper snapper” Especially like the phrase “Gol danged whipper snapper.” Has a real Gabby Hayes sound to it. Anybody remember him?
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

mhhbook wrote:I love the words “whipper snapper” Especially like the phrase “Gol danged whipper snapper.” Has a real Gabby Hayes sound to it. Anybody remember him?

"Hayes, in real life an intelligent, well-groomed and articulate man, was often cast as a grizzled codger who uttered phrases such as ... "durn persnickety female"..." [Wikipedia] Yes, I remember him.
PatrickLondon

Post by PatrickLondon »

mightyfelix wrote:I don't think this one's antiquated, precisely, but regional. Today I used the word "stramash" in a facebook comment.
Indeed, Scottish is a useful source for some interesting alternatives. I think most modern Scots would consider "anent" a bit too old-fashioned and pernickety, but I find "outwith" quite useful sometimes (as an erstwhile - that's perfectly current with me, by the way - bureaucrat, I might well say "That would be outwith my remit": it helped to adopt the somewhat pinched accent of an Edinburgh lawyer). At the other end of the scale, "bahookie" adds a certain entertainment value.
"Too literate to be spam" - another forum moderator on one of my posts! | http://www.autolycus-london.blogspot.com