Talking about our Librivox listening

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I am a huge fan of Librivox and have become totally hooked on listening to various works, and I assume that most if not all of the volunteers here do too. Is there a particular board where people talk about the works they have recently listened to, in terms of the substance of the works themselves, not so much the reading of it and certainly not criticising or critiquing the readers.

For example, I just finished The Silver Box, a play by John Galsworthy. It's the first time I listened to a dramatic work and first of all I do want to say that I was so impressed with everyone's voice acting in it, I really enjoyed listening to it and I'm in awe that you all do your bits separately because it sounded like you were all in the room or on stage together.

But as to the play itself....in what universe was this a comedy? I kept waiting for it to get funny but it never did, it was well written, a bit didactic but I was drawn into the action and sympathised with almost all of the characters at some points and wanted to thwack most of them at others. I guess maybe it's a comedy in that there were not bodies all over the stage at the end like a Romeo and Juliet or a Hamlet, but it still felt pretty tragic for at least some of the characters. It wasn't what I expected from the description but I was very drawn in and will now be looking for more Galsworthy, a name I've seen plenty of times but have never read before.

If there is a better board or an existing thread for such things, please point me to it! I'd love to see what others are listening to and enjoying and what they think about the works they are taking in.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We haven't really got a spot. I'm not saying we shouldn't have or that it wouldn't be a good idea, but maybe people realise that it is really hard to keep the reader/s out of it, no matter how hard you try . This is really a place for readers not listeners and anything that may even indirectly discourage readers is actively discouraged.
So we do have a thank a reader but really not much else in the way of reviews / discussions about listening.
Archive does have reviews https://archive.org/details/thesilverbox_1603_librivox and it seems to me that the reviewer would agree fully with you as to the comedy .
Anyone can write reviews at Archive, they range from well thought out reviews to my favourite other end of the range "Shame Librivox for having a British accent reading the famous American author Charles Dickins"
Archive also gives the chance to have favourites, and you can see others lists , but it's not really the same I know.

Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

There is a bit of listening chat on the Librivox Readers and Listener's Facebook page. People tend to talk about what they've liked and what they are listening to now.