Librivoxer sometimes haunted by lost lives

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

In searching for the dates of death of little known writers, I have sometimes been startled by poignant glimpses into the authors' lives.
After some search I found the date of death of Albert Keim (1876-1947), who wrote the biography of Louis Pasteur I recorded, but only after I learned that his brother and others of his family had died in the Holocaust.
Just now after long search, I found the date of death of an author I wish to read, Charles Anthony Vince, M.A. (1855-1929), but only after finding myself at the memorial of his son, Lieutenant William Lang Vince, killed in action in France in 1917, age 27.
Still, it is good to feel this sadness for those who have gone before us and to bring them back to life, as it were, through their works.

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

I know how you feel. For a couple of years, I thought that the Dutch poet Emmy V Sanders perished in WWII because I knew she had returned to her native country but I couldn't find a death-date. Just now I found out on a genealogy site that she passed away in 1950, in Illinois, aged in her 70's.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Yes, intimate and remote, at the same time!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i have the same when reading the wikipedia entries of the different authors whose work we read.

for example the poets joyce kilmer and ernst wilhelm lotz, who died on opposite sides in world war i, and georg trakl, who committed suicide while working as a medic in that war.

all three of them brilliant poets. they were 31, 24, and 27 years old.
Carolin
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

A single plaintive cord inspired and still vibrates in the poems left by Georg Trakl, a poet who was an Austrian ofiicer, and who, in a state 0f mental derangement, took his own life during the war.
The Encyclopædia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences ..., Volume 31
edited by Hugh Chisholm (1922)
https://books.google.com/books?pg=PA226&dq=georg+trakl&id=gngYAQAAIAAJ&output=text

Intriguing, and looking now for an English translation from the period.
My previous LV work: Bellona Times