Learning French again - audiobook recommendations?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Hi All,

I am learning French again after a 20+ year hiatus from school French from 4th grade through 10th grade. I am using Duolingo, but even going through every lesson I won't reach fluency. Since relocating to a French speaking country is not possible right now, I thought I would listen to audiobooks as I follow along in the book.

Can anyone recommend some more beginner texts to listen to here on LV? At least I know if they are here I will easily find links to the ebooks versions in the Completed projects thread.

Preferably native speakers but honestly as long as the pronunciation is good I don't think it really matters.

Thanks!
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

I found Heidi, by Johanna Spyri, and also I noticed by the same reader 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. Both stories I am somewhat familiar with, and I think Heidi could be a good starter, and then I will follow with 20k Leagues.

I think that I will most likely be stopping and starting a lot, as I play to make sure to look up any unfamiliar words as I am listening.

Hopefully, by the time I listen to a few dozen books and finish my lessons by the end of this year I will be functionally fluent.
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Bonjour Jason,

Fables of La Fontaine et of Florian might be a good place to start, as well as the "Il était une fois ..." collections 001, 002 and 003 (children's stories/fairy tales).

If you're familiar with Jules Verne's work, there are a few solo and collaborative recordings of his books.

Bon apprentissage !
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
Redpill

Post by Redpill »

I can't recommend any specific French audiobook, but I wanted to say that you should search for podcasts. I have started to learn Italian and I have found some free podcasts that not only fun to listen to, but really help with vocabulary and pronunciation.