One Book A Week Club 2017

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It is time to open a new thread for our One Book a Week Club!

Sign up and set your goal for 2017 - how many books do you want to read this year?

Anything goes: novels, non-fiction, audio- or e-books...
Anytime goes: one per day/week/weekend/month/quarter...

Update your post with your latest read, if you like, you can give a rating or even a short synopsis.

But most of all: Have fun! :D

This seems to be one of the oldest tradition on LibriVox. Threads from previous years are here:
2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

And here I am, calling dibs on first post again...
Last year was not good, only 37 books finished in total. I hope this year will be better, let's see...

Dead tree copies for my own entertainment/edification/or for work:
1. Shadowplay by Tad Williams
2. Shadowrise by Tad Williams
3. Shadowheart by Tad Williams
4. More Max Danger by Robert J. Collins
5. Japan Sinks by Sakyo Komatsu
6. Periodic Tales. The Curious Life of the Elements by Hugh Aldersey-Williams
7. I am a Cat by Soseki Natsume
8. Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin
9. The Princessa. Machiavelli for Women by Harriet Rubin
10. Death by Water by Kenzaburo Oe
11. V for Vendetta (after the movie)
12. Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata
13. The Goddess Chronicle by Natsuo Kirino
14. Steirerkind by Claudia Rossbacher
15. Confessions of a Yakuza by Junichi Saga
16. The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro
17. Tod am Zollhaus by Petra Oelker

Audiobooks FROM LibriVox for my own entertainment/edification on commutes and during housework:
1. Die Frau mit den Karfunkelsteinen von Eugenie Marlitt

Audiobooks FOR LibriVox for my own entertainment/edification and possibly that of others:
1.A Color Notation by A. H. Munsell
2. Der Maigraf by Otto Roquette DPL'ed for Carolin
3. The History of the Suez Canal by Ferdinand de Lesseps
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm aiming for eighty books in 2017. I aimed at 52 last year and almost reached 70.

They are probably all going to be paper books; I find ebooks harder to read (I read them on my desktop, and have only rarely finished one), and I've never completed an audiobook. I'll include my solo recordings if I manage to complete either of them this year.

Peter

Current total (to end of April): 15 fiction, 3 non-fiction.

January (4 fiction, 1 non-fiction)

1 Jack Hargreaves - The Old Country. Paperback, non-fiction. Like having an old, favourite uncle or grandfather reminiscing about life in the country "when I was a lad". Another collection of short, friendly essays about life as it used to be, by a man who was a child just after the first world war.
2 Tom Holt - Who's Afraid of Beowulf. Paperback, fiction, re-read. One of Tom Holt's humorous novels which does have a reasonably strong story line. An American archaeologist visiting a newly opened mound in Scotland finds a very complete ship burial, complete with the crew in full armour. She picks up a small gold brooch, then her torch fails, so she leaves ... quickly. She comes back later and encounters the warriors and their king, and gets caught up in their quest. I think this is the first book where we encounter Danny Bennett, a rather odd TV producer.
3 Terry Pratchett - Feet of Clay. Hardback, fiction, re-read. The golems of Ankh-Morpork have created a golem king, but something seems to be wrong inside his head. Sam Vimes and the Watch investigate some strange murders.
4 Terry Pratchett - Night Watch. Hardback fiction, re-read. Sam Vimes gets kicked back in time to when he had just joined the guard, and finds himself caught up in a revolution, knowing that what he does will change his own future.
5 C.J. Cherryh - The Pride of Chanur. Paperback s.f., re-read (the first in four linked novels). Complex and involving story of intergalactic trading and politics; five or six non-human races are in uneasy interaction, when then encounter the first taste of the human confederacy. Storyline centres on Pyanfur Chanur and her crew, members of a bipedal, great-cat-like race; trading and getting unexpectedly involved in deadly inter-racial politics.

February (7 fiction, no non-fiction)
1 Ben Aaronovitch - The Hanging Tree. Hardback, fiction. Another in the humorous, magical, London police procedural series. Peter Grant, trainee wizard (and police constable) helps to investigate another murder and gets much closer to the Faceless Man.
2 C.J. Cherryh - Chanur's Venture. Paperback, s.f., re-read. Continuation from The Pride of Chanur (from January).
3 C.J. Cherryh - The Kif Strike Back. Paperback, s.f., re-read. Continuation from Chanur's Venture.
4 C.J. Cherryh - Chanur's Homecoming. Paperback, s.f., re-read. The conclusion of the story started in Chanur's Venture. I've reread this set of novels a half a dozen times. I love looking through Pyanfar Chanur's mind at the universe she lives in, dealing with races alien to her, but always with responsibilities to her crew (including, shocking to the people of her homeworld, a MAN - her husband - .. not to mention a HUMAN man who had escaped the predacious kif), and care for the whole Compact of races, whether she feels them to be friend or enemy.
5 Diane Duane - Games Wizards Play. Hardback, fiction. The latest in the series that started with "So you want to be a wizard". 620 pages long, oddly short on complexity of storyline, but very involving to read. Kit and Nita's relationship is developing, and they and Dairine get involved in mentoring a couple of contestants in a global assessment of spell-work. Nita's developing visionary powers open a murky window on extremely dangerous consequences. I had put off reading this for some time, given relatively bad reviews on Amazon, but for me this is a good addition to the series, and I'm looking forward to more.
6 Diane Duane - The Wizard's Dilemma. Nita's mother is ill, and Nita tries to use her wizardry to heal her. Kit's dog, Ponch, unexpectedly takes Kit to strange worlds ... oh, and they each meet the Transcendent Pig. A good story, dealing with some of the stresses of life.
7 Terry Pratchett and others - Nanny Ogg's Cookbook. Paperback fiction; generally well-reviewed on Amazon. A collection of recipes plus (approximately half the book) a collection of comments and short essays on life, all from the supposed pen of Nanny Ogg. I found it dull; very, very mildly amusing; without a story, it's like reading a book of limericks ... one or two in context might be fun, but a crowd of them becomes tedious. This book is going to the charity shop.

March (3 fiction, 1 non-fiction)
1 Diane Duane - Interim Errantry. Paperback, fiction. It's set in Kit and Nita's "So you want to be a wizard" universe. I hadn't realised that this book existed until a week or so ago. The stories fall just before "Games Wizards Play". Two short stories and one novel-length one (the latter exploring a massive multi-wizard attempt to transfer an entire population and biome off the parent planet before it is destroyed by its fragmenting moon ... and Kit and Nita starting to become aware that their relationship is becoming more emotional and sexual).
2 Terry Pratchett - The World of Poo. In the Discworld novel Snuff, Sam Vimes's son Sam starts a new hobby of studying and collecting dung, encouraged by the children's author Felicity Beedle, who lives near the Ramkin's country home. Here is Felicity Beedle's little story about poo. Written for children, it's mildly funny. Physically, it's a lovely Edwardian-style book with embossed, cloth-textured hard covers, and woodcut-style illustrations. I'll probably give it to a couple of adolescents that I know.
3 Derek Humphry - Final Exit. Non-fiction, paperback. "The practicalities of self-deliverance and assisted suicide for the dying." A sympathetic and helpful guide to the complexities of handling your own assisted death in the case of terminal or intolerable illness. I had a copy of this book about twenty years ago; it's been updated since (last in 2002). including the use of helium. It's very reassuring to know that these methods are available.
4 Diana Wynne Jones - Hexwood. The author has written some stories that I'm very fond of, but she has also written some that I find pointless and confusing. This is one of the latter class. I've had to buy replacements for some of her books about the Chrestomanci worlds, but Hexwood is going straight to the charity shop.

April (1 fiction, 1 non-fiction)
1 Roger Zelazny's visual guide to Castle Amber - Roger Zelazny, Neil Randall. Hardback, fiction. (described in the thread).
2 The Way of Wyrd - Brian Bates. Library paperback fiction/non-fiction. Described in the thread.

May
1 Lynn Truss - Cat out of Hell. Library paperback; fiction. Oddly tedious. Initially very confusing, as it intertwined three first-person narratives of different aspects of the story. Cats that talk, Beelzebub almost appears, a few deaths. Two of the main narrators lost their partners (a wife and a sister), but seemed curiously unaffected by the fact. I liked her Eats, Shoots and Leaves very much, but I'm glad that I never saw this novel in the shops, or I'd probably have bought it on the strength of that earlier book.

In progress: Dazzling Stranger: Bert Jansch and the British Folk and Blues Revival - Colin Harper.
Last edited by Peter Why on May 20th, 2017, 1:15 pm, edited 35 times in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

Didn't reach my goal for last year, trying again. :)

Aiming for 50 books (for LV, on paper, or on kindle) including a chapter a day from the bible. (I'm going to count bible books as books if they are long-ish, but if they are really short, I might group them together ex. Letters, Prophets, etc.)

Books Complete: 1
Books Left: 49

Books reading on my own:
1. The Settlers in Canada by Frederick Marryat
2. The Little Savage by Frederick Marryat
3. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
4. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
5. Tom Slade: Motorcycle Dispatch Bearer by Percy Keese Fitzhugh
6. Under the Lilacs by Louisa May Alcott
7. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
8. Little Men by Louisa May Alcott
9. Roy Blakeley's Silver Fox Patrol by Percy Keese Fitzhugh
11. The Boy Scout Treasure Hunters by Charles Henry Lerrigo
12. Wild Animals I Have Known by Ernest Thompson Seton
13. Pee-Wee Harris by Percy Keese Fitzhugh
14. The Story of the Amulet by Edith Nesbit
15. Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
16. The Wouldbegoods by Edith Nesbit
17. The Princess and Curdie by George MacDonald
18. The Princess and the Pauper by Mark Twain

Books for LV (DPL):
1. Star Stories for Little Folks by Gertrude Chandler Warner (Jan)
2. The Adventures of Peter Cottontail by Thornton W. Burgess
3. The Story of Sir Walter Raleigh by Margaret Duncan Kelly

Books for LV (Solo):
1. The Boy Scouts in Russia by John Blaine

Books for homeschool:
1. Grammar-Land by M. L. Nesbitt

Books of the Bible:
1. Matthew (NRSV)

*Bold means that I have completed reading this book. 8-)
Last edited by Kangaroo692 on January 1st, 2017, 6:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.
J_N

Post by J_N »

Getting my place on the first page again. Happy New Year, everyone! :D
(Oh and I surpassed my goal of 100 books by 64 last year... not upping my target though - only rounding it to 2 books a week)

Goal: 147/104
Tracking on goodreads

January
  1. The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant / Rivers of London #6) by Ben Aaronovitch
  2. The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief #2) by Megan Whalen Turner
  3. Heart and Brain: Gut Instincts by The Awkward Yeti
  4. It's Just a Little Crush (Lizzie Hart Mysteries #1) by Caroline Fardig
  5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
  6. Fowl Language: Welcome to Parenting by Brian Gordon
  7. Adulthood Is a Myth by Sarah Andersen
  8. The Circle by Dave Eggers
  9. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
  10. A Dangerous Fortune by Ken Follett
  11. Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War by Mary Roach
February
  1. Every Thing on It by Shel Silverstein
  2. Far Beyond the Field: Haiku by Japanese Women by Makoto Ueda
  3. Diplomacy by Zahra Owens
  4. Love and War (North and South #2) by John Jakes
  5. Fireflies by Cory Archie
  6. It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis
  7. Aristotle and an Aardvark Go to Washington by Thomas Cathcart, Daniel Klein
  8. The Ballroom by Anna Hope
  9. 切られたページは知っている (探偵チ−ムKZ事件ノ−ト #2) by 藤本 ひとみ
  10. The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand
March
  1. Bambi: A Life in the Woods by Salten, Felix
  2. Apple and Rain by Sarah Crossan
  3. I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life by Yong, Ed
  4. I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That by Goldacre, Ben
  5. In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Philbrick, Nathaniel
  6. The Magic Finger by Dahl, Roald
  7. Smarter Than You Think: How Technology is Changing Our Minds for the Better by Thompson, Clive
  8. Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness by Laloux, Frederic
  9. The Hired Girl by Schlitz, Laura Amy
  10. In the Plex: How Google Thinks, Works, and Shapes Our Lives by Levy, Steven
  11. Save the Date by Albert, Annabeth
April
  1. Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Lawson, Jenny
  2. Wishful Drinking by Fisher, Carrie
  3. Me Before You (Me Before You #1) by Jojo Moyes
  4. Shockaholic by Carrie Fisher
  5. The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan
  6. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (Rats of NIMH #1) by Robert C. O'Brien
  7. Body Language by Aki Morimoto
  8. Aunts Aren't Gentlemen (Jeeves) by P.G. Wodehouse
  9. The Man Who Doesn't Take Off His Clothes 1 (Don't Worry Mama Series #2) by Narise Konohara
  10. The Man Who Doesn't Take Off His Clothes 2 (Don't Worry Mama Series #3) by Narise Konohara
  11. White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg
  12. Ravens of Avalon (Avalon #6) by Diana L. Paxson, Marion Zimmer Bradley
  13. Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella
May
  1. Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan by Jake Adelstein
  2. The First 20 Minutes: Surprising Science Reveals How We Can: Exercise Better, Train Smarter, Live Longer by Gretchen Reynolds
  3. Join the Club: How Peer Pressure Can Transform the World by Tina Rosenberg
  4. Children of Paradise: The Struggle for the Soul of Iran by Laura Secor
  5. Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal by Conor Grennan
  6. Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time by Dava Sobel
  7. The Transfiguration of Miss. Philura by Florence Morse Kingsley
  8. A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1) by V.E. Schwab
  9. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
  10. Leonorenlieder by Johann Christian Günther
  11. The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson
  12. Cold Sleep (Cold Series #1) by Narise Konohara
  13. Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1) by Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff
  14. Cold Light (Cold Series #2) by Narise Konohara
  15. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
June
  1. My Fair Godmother (My Fair Godmother #1) by Janette Rallison
  2. Zero by Mark Elsberg
  3. P.S. I Like You by Kasie West
  4. Wer kriegt die Kurve?: Zeitenwende in der Autoindustrie by Ferdinand Dudenhöffer
  5. The Martian (The Martian #1) by Andy Weir
  6. On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
  7. Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini
  8. Uglies (Uglies #1) by Scott Westerfeld
  9. Pretties (Uglies #2) by Scott Westerfeld
July
  1. Specials (Uglies #3) by Scott Westerfeld
  2. A Job to Love by The School of Life
  3. The John Lennon Letters by John Lennon
  4. The Odyssey by Homer
  5. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
  6. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
  7. Better to Wish (Family Tree #1) by Ann M. Martin
  8. The Long Way Home (Family Tree #2) by Ann M. Martin
  9. Best Kept Secret (Family Tree #3) by Ann M. Martin
  10. Home Is the Place (Family Tree #4) by Ann M. Martin
  11. Cold Fever (Cold Series #3) by Narise Konohara
  12. Will and the Valentine Saint (Victorian Holiday Hearts #2) by Summer Devon & Bonnie Dee
  13. House of Mirrors by Bonnie Dee & Summer Devon
  14. Death Masks (The Dresden Files #5) by Jim Butcher
August
  1. Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King
  2. Bitter Rednesses of Love by Dominique Frost
  3. The Color of Magic (Discworld #1) by Terry Pratchett
  4. Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl
  5. The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me by Roald Dahl
  6. The Light Fantastic (Discworld #2) by Terry Pratchett
  7. Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson
  8. Passagier 23 by Sebastian Fitzek
  9. Mitteilungsheft: Leider hat Lukas by Niki Glattauer
  10. Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles #2) by Sarah Andersen
  11. Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
  12. The Pack or the Panther (Tales of the Harker Pack #1) by Tara Lain
  13. Cannibalism: A Perfectly Natural History by Bill Schutt
  14. How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You by Matthew Inman
  15. Bro 4 Bro by Harper Logan
  16. The Honest Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone--Especially Ourselves by Dan Ariely
  17. Don't Worry Mama (Don't Worry Mama Series #1) by Narise Konohara
  18. Worth Waiting For (Heart of the South #1) by Wendy Qualls
  19. A Brief History of Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice by Jack Holland
  20. Indian Givers: How Native Americans Transformed the World by Jack Weatherford
September
  1. The Elements of Eloquence: How to Turn the Perfect English Phrase by Mark Forsyth
  2. Jugend ohne Gott by Ödön von Horváth
  3. Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston
  4. The History of Sexuality, Volume 1: An Introduction (A história da sexualidade, volume 1) by Michel Foucault
  5. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
  6. Der Hund der Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
  7. Teleny (The Reverse of the Medal) by Oscar Wilde
October
  1. See Me by Nicholas Sparks
  2. Leider hat Lukas schon wieder ... by Niki Glattauer
  3. When First I Met My King (Arthur Trilogy #1) by Harper Fox
  4. Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
  5. Wiener Sammel Surium by Harald Havas
  6. The Client by John Grisham
  7. Ein Walzer für die Liebe. Wien in Der Weltliteratur. by Anna Lindner
  8. Gemischter Satz by Sabina Naber
  9. The Estuary Pilgrim by Douglas Skeggs
  10. The Bear by James Oliver Curwood
  11. Tante Poldi und die sizilianischen Löwen (Tante Poldi #1) by Mario Giordano
  12. Tatort Kaffeehaus by Edith Kneifl
November
  1. Kurioses Österreich by Harald Havas
  2. The Twenty-four Hour Mind: the Role of Sleep and Dreaming in Our Emotional Lives by Rosalind D. Cartwright
  3. Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata
  4. The Courage to Be Me: A Story of Courage, Self-Compassion and Hope After Sexual Abuse by Nina Burrowes
  5. Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley
  6. My Dog: The Paradox: A Lovable Discourse about Man's Best Friend by Matthew Inman
  7. Why Grizzly Bears Should Wear Underpants by Matthew Inman
  8. América by T.C. Boyle
  9. Ikki Ni Yomeru! Meisaku Sen (Grade 1) by Takashi Saito
  10. 箱の中 by Narise Konohara
  11. Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz
  12. Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6) by Jim Butcher
  13. Das Joshua-Profil by Sebastian Fitzek
  14. Dead Beat (The Dresden Files #7) by Jim Butcher
  15. Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files #8) by Jim Butcher
  16. Eilige Nacht : etwas andere Weihnachtsgeschichten by Iris Berben
  17. White Night (The Dresden Files #9) by Jim Butcher
  18. Raymie Nightingale by Kate DiCamillo
December
  1. Bossypants by Tina Fey
  2. Mind = Blown: Amazing Facts About This Weird, Hilarious, Insane World by Matthew Santoro
  3. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
  4. Awake (The Side Ways Book 1) by Andy Havens
  5. Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: The Last Herald-Mage #1) by Mercedes Lackey
  6. Magic's Promise (Valdemar: The Last Herald-Mage #2) by Mercedes Lackey
  7. Fowl Language: The Struggle Is Real by Brian Gordon

DNF - Reading Challenges:
Last edited by J_N on January 1st, 2018, 3:20 am, edited 27 times in total.
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Yes, good intentions last year, but I didn't make my goal again in 2016 :(. So time to set my sights a bit lower this year.

Goal: 60 books
Completed: 40 books

Books/ebooks read{A}:
1. Right Half Hollins, by Ralph Henry Barbour - 1925 (text) {B}
2. In the Clouds for Uncle Sam, by Ashton Lamar - 1910 (text) {B}
3. From Canal Boy to President, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - 1881 (text)
4. The Spirit of the School, by Ralph Henry Barbour - 1907 (text) {B}
5. Helen Ford, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - 1866 (text)
6. Tattered Tom, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - 1871 (text)
7. Paul the Peddler, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - 1871 (text)
8. Phil the Fiddler, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - 1872 (text)
9. Slow and Sure, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - 1872 (text)
10. Julius, The Street Boy, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - 1874 (text)
11. The Silent Battle, by George Gibbs - 1913 (text) {B} (first read of the year -- during production for PG)
12. The Stolen Aeroplane, by Ashton Lamar - 1910 (text) {B}
13. The Young Outlaw, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - 1875 (text)
14. Sam's Chance, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - 1876 (text)
15. The Telegraph Boy, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - 1879 (text)
16. Tom, Dick, and Harriet, by Ralph Henry Barbour - 1907 (text) {B}
17. Harry's Island, by Ralph Henry Barbour - 1908 (text) {B}
18. The Yellow Dove, by George Gibbs - 1915 (text) {B}
19. The Armed Ship America, by James Otis - 1900 (text) {B}
20. Daniel Boone, Backwoodsman, by C. H. Forbes-Lindsay - 1908 (text) {C}
21. Dangerous, by Milo Yiannopoulos - 2017
22. Captain Chub, by Ralph Henry Barbour - 1909 (text) {B}
23. Captain John Smith, by C. H. Forbes-Lindsay - 1907 (text) {B}
24. The Aeroplane Express, by Ashton Lamar - 1910 (text) {B}
25. Brazil and La Plata: The Personal Record of a Cruise, by C. S. Stewart - 1856 (text)
26. Transmission; or, Variation of Character Through the Mother, by Georgiana B. Kirby - 1877 (text) {B}
27. Shifting for Himself, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - 1876 (text)
28. The Guardsman, by Homer Greene - 1919 (text) {B}
29. The Evolution of Modern Band Saw Mills for Sawing Logs, by D. Clint Prescott - 1910 (text)
30. Social Life in Old Virginia Before the War, by Thomas Nelson Page - 1897 (text) {B}
31. Forward Pass, by Ralph Henry Barbour - 1908 (text) {B}
32. From Farm Boy to Senator, by Horatio Alger, Jr. - 1882 (text)
33. Bringing up the Boy, by Carl Werner - 1913 (text) {B}
34. Call Me By Your Name, by André Aciman - 2007
35. Psychology and Crime, by Thomas Holmes - 1912 (text)
36. The Problem of Manflight, by James Means - 1894 (text) {B}
37. How to be a Man, by Harvey Newcomb - 1846 (text) {B}

Audiobooks - LV DPLs:
1. Hawaiian Sea Hunt Mystery, by Andy Adams - 1913 (text) (audio)
2. The Silent Battle, by George Gibbs - 1913 (text) (audio) {B} (second read of the year -- as a DPL for LV)

Audiobooks - LV solos:
1. The Riverpark Rebellion, by Homer Greene - 1892 (text) (audio) {B}

{A} includes read-alouds to my nieces/nephews -- which got me started at LV! 8-)
{B} produced these for Project Gutenberg/Distributed Proofreaders
{C} produced these for Project Gutenberg
Last edited by DACSoft on January 4th, 2018, 1:49 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
linny

Post by linny »

I haven't participated before but I've been thinking about it for the last couple of weeks and hoping a new thread would appear for 2017. Thank you, Ava! :9:

The following listing may not fit exactly but it's mine so it works for me. :wink: Since I've never tracked before all the goals were pulled from the clouds so it will be interesting to see how it all works out. Here is to a happy, healthy, and safe 2017!

Hours of audio PLed - (not to include how long it takes to PL or to spot check) goal 365 hours - current 59 hours
January: 59:48:06

Finished audio PL OK in group projects - goal 52 hours, current 0:38:46
January: 0:38:46, 0:39:23 pending PL

BC abandoned solos / Multi-volume works still to be completed - goal 6, Completed: 0
In progress:
1- Social Statics: or, The Conditions Essential to Human Happiness Specified, and the First of them Developed by Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903). viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61979
2- Rainy Week by Eleanor H Abbott viewtopic.php?f=28&t=61656
3- Legends of the Jews, volume 4 by Louis Ginzberg viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63536

Solo's read - goal 4
Current: 0

Books listened to - goal 12 - Current: 2
A Kiss for Cinderella - DR - This was a fun, short DR. Sweet, sad, and funny all rolled together.
He Fell in Love Brought together out of need and over time fell in love. A really lovely story.
Love Among the Chickens Currently listening.

Books read - goal 12 - Current: 0
Embarrassing status but hey, did you see that PL number?

Updated for January.
Last edited by linny on February 7th, 2017, 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

January
1. Kendall, Henry - The Poems of Henry Kendall
2. Ibsen, Henrik - Ghosts
3. Heyer, Georgette - The Masqueraders
4. Butcher, Jim - Cold Days
5. Mieville, China - This Census Taker

February
6. Amicis, Edmondo de - Heart
7. Senancour, Etienne Pivert de - Obermann
8. Eliot, George - Middlemarch
9. Ormondroyd, Edward - David and the Phoenix
10. Heyer, Georgette - Devil's Cub
11. Kracht, Christian - Imperium
12. Loti, Pierre - Madame Chrysantheme
13. Daudet, Alphonse - Monday Tales
14. Butcher, Jim - Skin Game

March
Carolin
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

My goal is 300 books. I listed around 225 (made my goal) last year but I know I missed writing down a bunch of books, so I'm going to try to keep track better and list by month. :) I'm also going to try and keep track of page numbers just for fun because I've never done that before!
January: 4895 pages
Not Forsaken by Agnes Gibherne
Through a Needle's Eye by Hesba Stretton
Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley
The Insanity of God by Nik Ripken
River People
All of a Kind Family
Child of the Revolution
Mara, Daughter of the Nile
Daybreak
Nurse and Spy in the Union Army
The Life of Pauline Cushman
Totally Surrounded
In Freedom's Cause
The Talisman
The Adventure of the Dying Detective
My Imprisonment
Exploits of Sherlock Holmes
The Spy of the Rebellion
Mosby's Reminiscenses
Genesis
Exodus
Capturing a Confederate Mail
Confederate Articles of War
Last edited by AdeledePignerolles on February 8th, 2017, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adele

Post by icequeen »

OK, I am determined to complete my list this year! I think that I will shoot for 50 books this year. ETA: I have increased my goal to 55 books! 57 Books!!

Books with Paper Pages that Actually Turn!
1. Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
2. The Long Mars by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter
3. Navigators of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
4. Saturn Run, by John Sandford and Ctein
5. The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon
6. The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza
7. The Fireman by Joe Hill
8. The Bourne Engima by Eric Van Lustbader
9. The Night Stalker by Robert Bryndza
10. The Red Hunter by Lisa Unger
11. Mississippi Blood by Greg Iles
12. The Temple Mount Code by Charles Brokaw
13. Artemis, by Andy Weir

E-Books
14. The Sands of Mars by Arthur C. Clark
15. The Lost Order by Steve Berry
16. Libertarians on the Prairie: Laura Ingalls Wilder and Rose Wilder Lane, and the Making of the Little House Books by Christine Woodside
17. See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt
18. In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran by Nigel John Taylor
19.The Enigma Strain by Nick Thacker
20. Surrender the Sun by A.R. Shaw

Audio-Books
21. A Bullet for Cinderella by John D. McDonald
22. Abraham Lincoln: A History Volume 4 by John Hay and John George Nicolay
23. Unhappy Far-Off Things by Lord Dunsany
24. Wandl the Invader (Version 2) by Ray Cummings
25. The Stoneground Ghost Tales by Edmund Gill Swain
26. The Night Club by Herbert Jenkins
27. Abbotsford and Newstead Abbey by Washington Irving
28. The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
29. The Adventures of Peter Cottontail by Thornton W. Burgess
30. The Favor of Kings by Mary Hastings Bradley
31. The Joss: A Reversion by Richard Marsh
32. Abraham Lincoln: A History Volume 5 by John Hay and John George Nicolay
33. Smoke by Ivan Turgenev
34. Black Oxen by Gertrude Atherton
35. The Rulers of the Lakes by Joseph A. Altsheler
36. The Death Shot by Thomas Mayne Reid
37. The Life of Florence Nightingale, Volume 2 by Edward Tyas Cooke
38. A Lear of the Steppe, etc. by Ivan Turgenev
39. More Selected Classics of Washington Irving
40. War the Creator by Gelett Burgess
41. The Boy Scouts on the Trail by Herbert Carter
42. Molly Brown's Freshman Days by Nell Speed
43. Molly Brown's Sophomore Days by Nell Speed
44. Devlin the Barber by B.L. Farjeon
45. Abraham Lincoln: A History Volume 6 by John Hay and John George Nicolay
46. The Smoke Eaters by Harvey J. O'Higgins
47. Uncle Wiggily's Fortune by Howard Garis
48. The Boy Scouts in the Maine Woods by Herbert Carter
49. The Permanent Husband by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
50. Memoir of Washington Irving by Charles Adams
51. The Submarine Boys for the Flag by Victor G. Durham
52. Alice, or the Wages of Sin by Frederic Werden Pangborn
53. The Submarine Boys by Victor G. Durham
54. Abraham Lincoln: A History, Volume 7 by John Hay and John George Nicholay
55. Nothing of Importance by Bernard Adams
56. Abraham Lincoln: A History, Volume 8 by John Hay and John George Nicolay

Solo Projects
57. Lives of the Queens of England, Volume 7 by Agnes and Elisabeth Strickland
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
MBraymiller

Post by MBraymiller »

I read 102 books last year and don't think I can maintain that kind of pace this year. I'm aiming for 50 this year.

01. Known to Evil by Walter Mosley - Second Leonid McGill mystery. This book left me largely unimpressed. Very one dimensional and formulaic By the time we got to the end, I didn't care anymore whodunnit.
02. Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen - I really liked this book. I liked the two different perspectives. Not a "feel good" book, but a rewarding read nonetheless.
03. Follow the Stone by John Locke - A fun read. Recommended if you like westerns. There is not a lot of depth here, but there's enough story to carry it along.
04. First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones - Not my cup of tea, but I am NOT her target demographic by any stretch of the imagination either. I thought it tried too hard to be funny.
05. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs - (Sigh) another "paranormal' book that had SO much potential but went the cheap and easy route of vampires and werewolves.
06. The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker - Wow. I really liked this one. Touching and lyrical story of two outcasts who must remain hidden who find each other. Highly recommended. Deeply atmospheric.
07. On Account of a Wish by Curtis Cooper - I work with the author, and have known him for a long time. I had read one of his other books, and was not as enthusiastic as he might have wished in my final remarks on it. I went into this one with some degree of trepidation, but was pleasantly surprised. It is rough since it was his first book, but there is a good story in it.
08. Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher - I enjoyed this one a lot. I like the world building, the characters and the pacing. I do NOT want to live in the world he created for these people, but I like reading about their struggles, defeats and triumphs.
09. On The Matter of the Red Hand by J.M. Guillen - Densly written fantasy / noir detective story. Very entertaining.
10. Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher - I liked it and I didn't like it. Tabling this series for now.
11. Waking by Emily Thompson - A steampunk fairy tale that was very rewarding. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
12. Snatched by Karin Slaughter - A Will Trent novella that takes place in one tense day. This is a great little thriller.
13. The Woman Who Walked In Sunshine by Alexander McCall Smith - I can't say enough good things about the Ladies #1 Detective Agency series. These are TRUE escapism books.
14. Crow Shine by Alan Baxter - a collection of short stories that take a hard look into some dark places and shows us that sometimes the "good guys" don't win.
15. Nine Tales of Raffalon by Matthew Hughes - I got this ebook from the author's website for 99 cents, and got way more than my money's worth in content. Tremendously fun read.
16. Revival by Stephen King - King is hit or miss with me. This was enjoyable, but some of King's biases are getting old, and the ending was lackluster, from my point of view.
17. Britt-Marie Was Here by Frederik Backman - An unusual take on the coming of age story featuring a 63 year-old woman as the protagonist. A light-hearted read that is deeper than it appears to be.
18. The Air War by Adrian Tchaikovsky - Book 8 of one of the best fantasy series' I have ever read.
19. One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline - Good story that suffers from being a bit one dimensional.
20. My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry by Frederik Backman - Absolutely wonderful grown up fairy tale. One of the best books I have read this year.
21. Faceoff edited by David Baldacci - Great collection of short stories each in which two authors collaborate with the heroes of their individual series of novels.
22. A Man Called Ove by Frederik Backman - A funny, poignant look at love and loss and growth.
23. The Starlit Wood Edited by Dominik Parisien - A collection of short stories, each of which is a modern take on a classic fairy tale. Some very good reads in this volume.
24. The Heavenly table by Donald Ray Pollock - Relentlessly bleak and grim and not worth reading at all.
25. War Master's Gate by Adrian Tchaikovsky - The penultimate volume of the Shadows of the Apt series and a fantastic book. This series does not get the recognition that (IMHO) it deserves.
26. Working For Bigfoot by Jim Butcher - Short(ish) stories featuring Harry Dresden and a really big guy named Strength of a River in His Shoulders. All around fun.
27. The Innocent by David Baldacci - First in the Will Robie series, featuring a super agent for the CIA. Requires a lot of suspension of disbelief, but is an entertaining story. (It must be since I have since read the next two in the series.)
28. MatchUp edited by Lee Child - A follow up volume to Face Off above. It has the same hook in each of the stories as above, and is just as much fun as the previous volume.
29. Make Me by Lee Child - Jack Reacher #20 A satisfying read. I appreciate that the Jack Reacher novels do not need to be read in order.
30. Red Sister by Mark Lawrence - An interesting book. I found the world to be pretty unique, and Lawrence's foreshadowing to have the subtlety of a bulldozer. However, it was still enjoyable for that.
31. The Hit by David Baldacci - Will Robie #2 which features (gasp of surprise!) corruption at the head of the security agency. What a NEW and UNIQUE (yawn) twist! Very tropy, but still enjoyable to read. However, you've already read it in 100 other books.
32. The Trespasser by Tana French - A Tana French novel is an emotional investment. Her books are dark and gripping, and they get better and better.
33. Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky - WOW! This is a great science fiction novel featuring a truly alien feeling "alien." Another of my best reads of 2017
34. The Target by David Baldacci - Will Robie #3 - This is the one that pushed my ability to believe too far. It reads like a super-hero novel rather than a super agent novel. Even James Bond is not as invincible as Baldacci's hero.
35. Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben - Not Coben's best novel by any stretch.
36. We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor - Oh what a fun book! Refreshing science fiction read.
37. Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence - An "Odd Couple" type of fantasy that, despite some shortcomings, works very well.
38. The Girl In The Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz - Set in the Millennium world of Stieg Larsson, this novel tells another store of Salander and Blomkvist. A satisfying read.
39. The Seal of the Worm by Adrian Tchaikovsky - The final volume in the Shadows of the Apt series.
Last edited by MBraymiller on November 16th, 2017, 7:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
“Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.”
Isaiah 45:22

Goodreads name: Matt Braymiller
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

I forgot to keep my 2016 list updated - (the last update was on April 1st last year.) But I'll launch a 2017 list, and hope to do a better job of updating it this time around!

Read From Library:
1. The Word Detective (John Simpson)
2. I Am Malala (Malala Yousafzai)
3. Heritage of Flames (editor Donald Cannon)
4. Hidden Figures (Margot Lee Shetterly)
5. The Book of Joy (Desmond Tutu and Dalai Lama)
6. Why We Can't Wait (Martin Luther King Jr.)
7. Where Do We Go From Here? (Martin Luther King Jr.)
8. A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety (Jimmy Carter)
9. Three Mile Island (Mark Stephens)

My Own Books Read:
1. Our Prayer (Louis Evely)
2. The Orchard (Adele Crockett Robertson)
3. The Great Divorce (C.S. Lewis)
4. The Nine Tailors (Dorothy Sayers)

Read (or edited, or proof-listened) for LibriVox:
1. Hardtack and Coffee (John D. Billings) (duet; read half, listened to all when done.)

Listened to from LibriVox:
1. A Christmas Carol (Charles Dickens)
2. My Airships (Alberto Santos-Dumont)
3. Unsung Heroes (Elizabeth Ross Haynes)
4. The Technique of the Mystery Story (Carolyn Wells)

(List updated February 24, 2017)

-----------------------

Update as of January 2nd 2018:

Well, plainly I gave up on this list only two months into last year. We had a family medical crisis beginning in early March, which filled most of the rest of the year. By the time I got back to LV, this book-list thread had completely slipped my mind. Now, it's not going to be possible for me to remember every book read in 2017.

I do remember a number of books that I read aloud to my dad while he was in the hospital:
Shades of Glory by Lawrence D. Hogan
And So It Goes by Linda Ellerbee
The Human Comedy by William Saroyan
The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti
Death of a Ghost by M.C. Beaton
The Merry Wives of Maggody by Joan Hess
Murder Unprompted by Simon Brett

Also a few things we listened to together on LV during that time:
Mountain Interval by Robert Frost
A Boy's Will by Robert Frost
Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

More recently, I can remember what I've been reading during the later part of this year, still fresher in mind:
Backstage at the Lincoln Assassination by Thomas Bogar
Liturgy of the Ordinary by Tish Warren
Women Will Vote by Susan Goodier
Be Free or Die by Cate Lineberry
Gratefulness by David Steindl-Rast
Neither Snow Nor Rain by Devin Leonard

So that's about the best I can do for the 2017 book list. I know there are a lot of gaps in there, but hey, it's 2018 and I get to start a fresh list! This year, I'll try to keep it up!
Last edited by commonsparrow3 on January 2nd, 2018, 2:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I read 60 items for 2016. They were mostly books, but also some short stories. I'm not a fast reader, so I'll stick to that goal for 2017.

I thought it would be fun to give myself an oddball challenge, so decided that for each month I'll read something containing that month's name in the title. I've found a couple of short stories with January in the title, so I'm good for this month. However, most texts with names of the month in the title are magazines, such as: "Blah Blah Magazine, January 1917" I'm hoping to stay away from periodicals. However, if I can't, the selection of magazines available on Gutenberg and Archive.org is amazing. While doing a quick online search earlier today, I came across an issue of "Himalayan Times" Wow! An oddball little internet discovery that appeals to the nerd in me. :)
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
linny

Post by linny »

mhhbook wrote:I thought it would be fun to give myself an oddball challenge, so decided that for each month I'll read something containing that month's name in the title.
Mary, that is such a fun idea I had to do a quick search myself. I found this link https://archive.org/details/February_201408 They appeal to me. It reminds me of the books or cards you can buy that list all the interesting facts for the year you were born. This list all the interesting things which happened in that month going back hundreds of years. Short little spinets which work well for me. Anyway, great idea! Have fun. :thumbs:
Honnha

Post by Honnha »

Delightful.
Last edited by Honnha on January 9th, 2017, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Give me your scars, your blemishes, your beauty marks and bruises.
I am allergic to perfection and
plastic makes me leery."