[FOUND] Dutch Carol: Info needed, please!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 23rd, 2016, 6:54 pm

Could someone find who wrote the words and music to this carol?

"Eere zij God, eere zij God,
In den Hooge, in den Hooge, in den Hooge.
Vrede op aarde, vrede op aarde
In de menschen een welbehagen...."

And if anyone could find who translated it into English (and when), that would be superb, too!

"Glory to God, glory to God,
In the Highest, in the Highest, in the Highest.
Peace be on earth, peace be on earth,
And to mankind good will forever...."
The Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Report of the President's Commission on Immigration and Naturalization (1953)
Christmas Lore: LINK
Proofs The Earth Isn't a Globe! LINK

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 24th, 2016, 1:00 am

Wikipedia's your friend:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory_to_God
The song first appeared in print in 1857 in the hymnal Het nachtegaaltje (The little nightingale),compiled and written by lyricist Isaac Bikkers (1833-1903).

The music is attributed to F.A. Schultz, of whom little is known except for references by others that a Franz Albert Schultz wrote a song book while working at a college in Königsberg in 1731. No copies of this book are extant. Dutch song books indicate the composition date as 1870.
That's for the Dutch original, no info there about the English translation. but somehow I think it did not take long for that, in case it's a copyright issue.
I know the song in German too, by the way, there it goes back to 1523 (according to wikipedia).
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 24th, 2016, 6:32 am

Thanks! I was thinking it'd have to be researched in Dutch, which I don't understand. :lol:

It's for our church service tomorrow. I don't think I'll need lots of copyright info. :)

lezer

Post by lezer » December 24th, 2016, 3:24 pm

A Dutch site (http://www.kerklied.net/node/43 ) mentions those same people, does have some more information but probably not needed for your purpose.
Among other things, in quick translation:

Isaac Bikkers was a teacher, he published 3 small books with collections of songs. It appears that Bikkers mostly used songs that were originally written in German, that he translated into Dutch himself (usually). He had contacts in Germany. So it is presumed that this song probably also had German roots.

Franz Albert Schul(t)z, the probable composer of the music, lived from 1692 until 1763. He studied theology and philosphy in Halle. He worked for a time as preacher in the army, and in 1731 he settled in Königsberg, where he was a preacher, professor and director of the 'Collegium Fridericianum'.

This Dutch website on church music states that there is sometimes controversy whether this song should be sung in church. The music is considered by some to be too much of a military marching type song; or apparently some consider it not of enough quality, with a weak melodic line. (This is a very much shortened summary of the page long well written discussion).
Anna

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 24th, 2016, 6:09 pm

Yes, more than I need, but interesting anyway. Thanks, Anna!