LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 3:24 am


Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ] 

Author Message
Offline
Post Posted:: December 23rd, 2016, 3:11 am 

Joined: May 5th, 2009, 3:27 am
Posts: 320
Location: California
Hi everyone! Long time, no see (except during this time of year)!

Minutes ago, I uploaded a video on Instagram with audio from the 2010 Christmas Carol Collection that I recorded and donated to the public domain. I was instantly given a "copyright claim" notice that "Jones Reading Company" owns the audio. They certainly do not own any LibriVox audio, so I appealed and my video post was reinstated a few minutes later (for now).

Jones Reading Company has been selling public domain audio on Amazon and has uploaded videos with LibriVox audio on YouTube, so the notice was probably generated because of their clever yet infuriating business strategy. :evil:

Has anyone else gotten a copyright claim when using LibriVox audio, especially when posting your own work? If so, what are good strategies to tell Instagram or Facebook or YouTube or Jones Reading Company that we have every right to use our own recordings in the public domain? :hmm:

Cheers,
Ryan

_________________
Ryan DeRamos
LibriVox Instagram Blog


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: December 23rd, 2016, 7:31 am 

Joined: January 10th, 2015, 9:56 am
Posts: 1589
Good for you.
If its on Amazon its probably on Audible which they will quickly take down if they know that there are various pd versions out there already. You just need to fill in their form.

Kim


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: December 23rd, 2016, 11:53 am 

Joined: May 5th, 2009, 3:27 am
Posts: 320
Location: California
Thanks for the info regarding Audible! I couldn't find "Jones Reading Company" or "AB Entertainment" (Jones' "record label") on Audible, but they have re-released and claimed copyright over LibriVox audiobooks and music on Amazon, Spotify, CD Baby, iTunes, and other places that sell mp3s. I wish there was some way to tell these services that Jones/AB cannot claim copyright over LibriVox public domain recordings.

Jones re-released our 2010 Christmas Carol Collection in 2014, as "Christmas Carols for Kids." They've re-released other audiobooks as well.

_________________
Ryan DeRamos
LibriVox Instagram Blog


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: December 24th, 2016, 1:13 am 

Joined: January 10th, 2015, 9:56 am
Posts: 1589
Welcome to the world of public domain - they can do what they want with the recordings. If the license was creative commons then it would be a problem, but it isn't.

Kim


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: December 24th, 2016, 5:28 am 

Joined: May 5th, 2009, 3:27 am
Posts: 320
Location: California
carteki wrote:
Welcome to the world of public domain - they can do what they want with the recordings. If the license was creative commons then it would be a problem, but it isn't.

Kim


I have no problem with anyone trying to sell our recordings; claiming copyright over unmodified public domain work is the problem. I should post a screenshot of the copyright claim and link it here.

_________________
Ryan DeRamos
LibriVox Instagram Blog


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: December 27th, 2016, 10:03 am 

Joined: November 28th, 2015, 7:47 am
Posts: 1063
Location: Florida
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/artist/Jones+Reading+Company/a/albums.htm
One of their comps for kids included Saki's Reginald's Christmas Revels alongside Rumplestilskin. :roll:

_________________
My previous LV work: Bellona Times


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: December 27th, 2016, 4:05 pm 

Joined: August 21st, 2014, 9:34 am
Posts: 1951
Location: Probably the holodeck :)
DeRamos wrote:
Thanks for the info regarding Audible! I couldn't find "Jones Reading Company" or "AB Entertainment" (Jones' "record label") on Audible, but they have re-released and claimed copyright over LibriVox audiobooks and music on Amazon, Spotify, CD Baby, iTunes, and other places that sell mp3s. I wish there was some way to tell these services that Jones/AB cannot claim copyright over LibriVox public domain recordings.

Jones re-released our 2010 Christmas Carol Collection in 2014, as "Christmas Carols for Kids." They've re-released other audiobooks as well.


Since these people are on CDBaby, that means that they are collecting royalties for ads on videos posted on YouTube of LV recordings. :( (or at least they have the option to.)

Kangaroo


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: December 27th, 2016, 5:27 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Posts: 28039
Location: Melbourne,Australia
We can't stop that but most of the ones I've seen don't - and it does advertise LibriVox (even if half of them spell it wrongly)

If it makes people feel better - we do get a number of emails from people complaining about being charged for things , and I do suggest that is they are unhappy they contact the hosting site , and I get a number of replies saying they did and the site has taken them down
However what the original post was about was people claiming copyright - and that is illegal as far as I know .

Anne

_________________
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: December 27th, 2016, 10:53 pm 

Joined: May 5th, 2009, 3:27 am
Posts: 320
Location: California
annise wrote:
We can't stop that but most of the ones I've seen don't - and it does advertise LibriVox (even if half of them spell it wrongly)

If it makes people feel better - we do get a number of emails from people complainig about being charged for things , and I do suggest that is they are unhappy they contact th hosting site , and I get a number of repleies saying they did and the site has taken them down
However what the original post was about was people claiming copyright - and that is illegal as far as I know .

Anne


The problem is definitely people claiming copyright when they have no right to do so. I can guess that the distribution service that uploads a single album to all the services (iTunes, Amazon Music, Google Play, CD Baby, etc.) instantly claims copyright for the commercial uploader. In my situation, copyright was instantly given to "Jones Reading Company." What I can't figure out is how to stop erroneous copyright notices from happening to people who have every right to use LibriVox recordings in their remixed media (especially the original performers, including yours truly :wink: ).

Here's a little collage that shows some of LibriVox's Christmas Carol Collection 2010 track listing vs. the version for sale on Amazon Music (2014), with a screenshot of the copyright notice that Instagram automatically gave me: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOaSaunAOxe/?taken-by=ryan_deramos

VfkaBT wrote:
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/artist/Jones+Reading+Company/a/albums.htm
One of their comps for kids included Saki's Reginald's Christmas Revels alongside Rumplestilskin. :roll:


"Christmas Carols for Kids" also includes Bellona Times' 2010 Christmas Carols, too, so it might be surreal if you want to upload your LibriVox work onto social media. :roll:

I appealed Instagram's decision to take down my video, and they restored my video within minutes. I'm guessing it's because "Jones Reading Company" isn't a subsidiary of Disney or Sony or Universal or whatever big rights holder. This whole incident might be moot, since I was "allowed" to use the music I recorded for LibriVox, but I am willing to escalate these sort of things, if only to try to figure out how to take down individuals and companies who illegally claim copyright over public domain recordings.

_________________
Ryan DeRamos
LibriVox Instagram Blog


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: December 27th, 2016, 11:44 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Posts: 28039
Location: Melbourne,Australia
I didn't want to convey the impression that it doesn't annoy me too, and that I don't have urges about them and their hosts and large pots of boiling oil. If you could find a way to stop them that would please me greatly :D

Anne

_________________
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: December 28th, 2016, 7:49 am 

Joined: August 21st, 2014, 9:34 am
Posts: 1951
Location: Probably the holodeck :)
As for the carols collection I believe that it being on CDBaby is the problem, cause they are the company that is distributing this across the internet. If maybe someone sent them an email or something, they could take it off their website, and likewise stop distributing it to websites?

Kangaroo


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: December 31st, 2016, 10:03 am 

Joined: November 28th, 2015, 7:47 am
Posts: 1063
Location: Florida
Quote:
VfkaBT wrote:
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/artist/Jones+Reading+Company/a/albums.htm
One of their comps for kids included Saki's Reginald's Christmas Revels alongside Rumplestilskin. :roll:


"Christmas Carols for Kids" also includes Bellona Times' 2010 Christmas Carols, too, so it might be surreal if you want to upload your LibriVox work onto social media. :roll:

I appealed Instagram's decision to take down my video, and they restored my video within minutes. I'm guessing it's because "Jones Reading Company" isn't a subsidiary of Disney or Sony or Universal or whatever big rights holder. This whole incident might be moot, since I was "allowed" to use the music I recorded for LibriVox, but I am willing to escalate these sort of things, if only to try to figure out how to take down individuals and companies who illegally claim copyright over public domain recordings.


When I do my Creative Commons copyrighted literary anthologies, I always mention or link to sources of text and artwork. I also click 'not for commercial purposes' as I'm creating them. I realize other people need to make a living but just throwing our hard work out there and not acknowledging the source is unethical as hell.

_________________
My previous LV work: Bellona Times


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: July 11th, 2017, 3:55 pm 

Joined: January 16th, 2017, 8:51 am
Posts: 47
carteki wrote:
Good for you.
If its on Amazon its probably on Audible which they will quickly take down if they know that there are various pd versions out there already. You just need to fill in their form.

Kim


Sorry but... which form?


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group