Naming inanimate objects

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
AliceReid

Post by AliceReid »

Weird, I know, but does anyone else give names to their things? I mean, I'm an artist, so I tend to draw people and name them if I like them a lot. I'll also draw things like my computer and name my computer whatever the picture looks like.

For example, my computer's name is Alex, my phone's name is Cassandra, and my chromebook's name was Augustus Magnussen or Van Straton depending on how much it pissed me off.

I'm interested in knowing if this is just something I do or if other people do it as well...
-Reid.

"Fear doesn't have to make you cruel or cowardly. Fear can make you kind."-Doctor Who
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Well, I don't, but I gave away a large money-plant a year or so ago, and the woman who picked it up asked me what it was called, so I gave her a name for it. ... and I remember, I think it was in the Illuminati Trilogy, one of the fictional characters said that all men gave their penises a name. I don't know whether the authors of the books were simply extrapolating from their own behaviour or whether it was just a literary joke.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

My cat has a name but it's meaningless as he never answers to it.

And he's inanimate enough of the time to qualify as an object (at least that what it seems like to me.)
Why yes there IS a blog about choral singing. Thanks for asking.
http://www.thewindwardchoralsociety.org/news/
tony123

Post by tony123 »

:D

My sister names lots of things, including her cars and even trees that she plants. She used to name my cars too, but I always tended to forget their names. She once gave me a little brightly colored ceramic dragon that could perch on the edge of things with his paws hanging over, and I think his name began with an F. But I may be mixing that up with an iron dragon she has that can hold water and sit on the floor furnace, humidifying her house in the winter.

The point of all that is to say that she's also artistic, and is very much alert and aware of both people and things around her. I think the naming probably goes along with that.
linny

Post by linny »

I named my gps Maggie. My first one was a megellion (brand). I've since had 2 garmin's but I still call it Maggie. :?
carteki

Post by carteki »

My aunt & uncle named their gps "gertie". But since "she" talks to you I guess it isn't a completely inanimate object.
I don't name inanimate objects, but recently have been wondering how my cat (called Yoko by her previous owner) has picked up the name sweetness - because while she can be all cute when she wants to, its definitely on her terms and when she wants to!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I had forgotten about GPS. One of my friends has chosen a female voice for his in-car TomTom device. He calls her Rita (from the Beatles song) ... and his wife calls her his other woman!

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

All our stuffed animals have names. Then you have to name your computers or give some house or user name for them. The house we live in got a name. At first I named it Eiderdown from all the white everywhere. (People building cheap, you know. Buy all white carpeting etc since no one else wants it.) Later on I named it Moominhall, because Moominhouse is round, but our house is more hallway in structure. The Moomins got us through a lot. (Tove Jansson et all.)

D.
DivMS

Post by DivMS »

I keep naming inanimate objects all the time, especially ones that are close to me, like my smartphone and laptop. I generally use animal or nature-oriented names. For instance, my laptop is called blue whale and my mobile is named one-eyed panda (mainly because of the colors) :mrgreen:
Divya
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

I don't name anything, but in the book I'm reading now one of the characters call his car Vlad the Impala! I think that's great.

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
loon

Post by loon »

I never got three puppies at the same time, but if that happened I wanted to name them Klaatu, Barada, and Nikto, mostly because I thought it would be a great to be yelling that while poking my head out the back door trying to get them to come back inside.

But now we get dogs from animal rescue. They already have names ... know their names. I probably won't get the chance to name critters going forward, there are always rescue dogs available.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I had a cat named Sunshine but I wanted a different word to call him to me so that I could use his name at will and he wasn't required to respond. I remembered the old punch line (forget the joke) "call me a taxi". So I trained him to come when I called him a taxi. :mrgreen:

Needless to say, I got strange looks from people when he got out and I was walking down the street yelling "TAXI! TAXI" in a small town with no taxi service. He did come running though when he heard me. :)
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

The perfect name for a dog is "Looks Like Rain" Can you imagine standing in the dog park yelling out "Looks Like Rain"! Another good name for a cat is "Hey Yu"

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]