Do You Download Your Own Work?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Just out of curiosity... Do you download your own projects when they're catalogued? Does it matter whether the projects were solos or collaborative efforts? Do you download those things that you've already PL'd? Or does it depend on the content, how you felt you read on any given day, etc.? Are you proud enough of your work that you want it for your own purposes, or do you find yourself thinking, "I hope others enjoy, but I don't need to hear my own voice!"?

Personally, I download almost all colaborations for which I read a section or two. It's rare that I download something I've DPL'd, at least for a bit--I have to wait for it to fade from my mind so it's fresh when I come back to it. I only download my own solos if I find the content extraordinarily worthwhile.
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Not my solos, because I have all the files on my hard drive or backup drive. Why download them? But I've never listened to them after having recorded them.

Group projects: sometimes, if I'm interested in it enough to listen to the whole thing. The fact that I'm in it has little or no bearing on the decision.

DPL: I haven't yet, because I've already listened to it.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
kayray

Post by kayray »

Yes! I listen to my own solos quite a lot, because I try to record books that I want to listen to, and I am one of my favorite narrators, heehee :) :) :)

I usually use the xml feed to download them into my favorite podcast/audiobook player (Bookmobile for iPhone).
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

I know what you mean, Kara. I usually tend to get fussy about my narration--finding a million areas in which I could have improved--but on the other hand, I tend to work on solos that no one has ever recorded before, either here or commercially. So, it's my own readings or nothing! I don't think my reading is that quality, since reading in Braille results in a stilted product if I'm not careful, but what I lack in narration skill I make up for in content/book choice. So, yes, those projects usually end up on my iPod. Somehow, downloading the Zip file from the actual LV server seems an entirely new experience--vastly different from the files I have backed up. Or am I being too sentimentally-minded for my own good!?
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

If I'm thinking of doing a new book in a series I've already recorded some books of, I will listen to some of the previously recorded stuff (from my backups copies) so as to get "in character" for the voice parts. That is, not only to get the voice sounding the same, but to get the character's "attitude" right; (a "Stanislavski Half-hour"?).

Also, if I'm looking for a new-type voice part, listening to characters from other literature will sometimes give me an idea for a variation.

Note that this doesn't apply to Dad Rudd. I can do him at the drop of a hat. There has been an occasion or two when that's come in handy. :lol:
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

kayray wrote:Yes! I listen to my own solos quite a lot, because I try to record books that I want to listen to, and I am one of my favorite narrators, heehee :) :) :)

snip
You're one of my favourite narrators too, Kara. And I also record books I want to listen to. And learn from. They have all been on subjects (and by authors) that were new to me and many were quite densely written - so I can still get a lot of enlightenment out of listening to them occasionally (particularly the sciency ones). I don't download them because I have them on my hard drive.

But the main reason is that I listen to loads of exciting podcasts and Librivox readings in the normal course of things. But, when I want to drift off, mine is one of the several Librivox voices* that reliably lull me to sleep. Better than Temaze.

Best,

Barbara

*Note that this is something else that doesn't apply to Dad Rudd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

"Better than Temaze."

I had wondered why Librivox had a "special" new-reader approval process for us Aussies voices.

All that business about "clinical trials in rodents, followed by low doses to a small group of healthy volunteers who are closely supervised" suddenly makes sense now. :lol:

SOTE

Diphthongs. Available in your size. Call Now!
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox