What is your least favourite word?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

"Matrix metalloproteinase..." Sounds like it has something to do with marshmallows. Yum! :P

My least favorite phrase is a cheery "Good Morning!" ...Ick. I especially don't like saying it myself because it always sounds so fake coming out of my mouth. Maybe because it is.
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

JorWat wrote:Asked.

The /skt/ combination is really awkward to say. There's almost no way to say it without sounding like 'ah-sih-kuh-tuh' said quickly (or in howjsay's case, at normal speed). No wonder some people say 'arsed' instead!
Agreed! :shock:
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

MARTIN GEESON wrote:On the basis of sound, I dislike the word lozenge. ... for some reason it makes me think of a caterpillar or slug, compressing itself, arching its back to pursue its oozy path.
That one made me laugh. :lol:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

JorWat wrote:Asked.

The /skt/ combination is really awkward to say. There's almost no way to say it without sounding like 'ah-sih-kuh-tuh' said quickly (or in howjsay's case, at normal speed). No wonder some people say 'arsed' instead!
I've always said Aks and taks and .... and I have to stop and correct myself before saying it . But I feel better about it since listening to LV recordings - because I am not alone :9:

Anne
carteki

Post by carteki »

I had to say "Similarly" in a recording ... but couldn't. I fudged it a little...
aerikbjornsson

Post by aerikbjornsson »

annise wrote:
I've always said Aks and taks and .... and I have to stop and correct myself before saying it . But I feel better about it since listening to LV recordings - because I am not alone :9:

Anne
Hey, if it makes you feel better, "aks" isn't actually wrong!

quoting from NPR "'ax' dates back to the eighth century. The pronunciation derives from the Old English verb "acsian." Chaucer used "ax." It's in the first complete English translation of the Bible (the Coverdale Bible): " 'Axe and it shall be given.'"
http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/12/03/248515217/why-chaucer-said-ax-instead-of-ask-and-why-some-still-do
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

So far that I can think of,

'squat'

is my least favorite word.
I hate the way it feels to pronounce it.
:|