Silly Accidents

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

I cut my thumb today trying to separate frozen burgers with a sharp knife. Looking back this was a very silly thing to be doing, and I should have known better!

Has anyone else injured themselves doing things they knew (or at least should have) they shouldn't but did anyway? :mrgreen:
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I sliced a flap into side of my finger while trying to cut the rind off a piece of cheese. Milliseconds before the knife slipped, I thought, this probably isn't the safest way to hold this. I was right. Took three stitches.
Karen S.
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Ouch :(
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Worst part was that this was only two years ago, meaning I was in my late thirties at the time. No excuses for youth and inexperience. :D
Karen S.
J_N

Post by J_N »

not too long ago, I was cutting an iceberg salad... and the second I thought "if the knive slips..." it slipped... no stitches needed, but I barely made it to the couch grabbing a towel on my way before I fainted... my body reacts pretty strongly to shock...

even less long ago (does that make grammatical sense? o.o): took a tag of some clothes - had a staple in it... thought "better put it in the waste asap so the cats can't hurt themselves", seconds later had the staple in my thumb... not sure how I managed that... but it hurt like %&$§

luckily, we lived ...and hopefully we learned ;)
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

I was a figure skater when I was a kid. I took a fall right into the corner of the rink and I thought to myself, "this is the worst place to fall". Just then another skater landed pick first on the tips of 2 of my fingers! Lots of blood but no stitches needed. It's really hard to scrape all the blood off the ice sheet!

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

That sounds nasty :( I remember someone I went to school with having a similar accident, but it was their legs that got sliced.

I don't think I've skating is for me lol
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

It's nothing to do with a knife, but it was certainly accidental: I bought a bag of fresh chilies and chopped them all at once so I could freeze them. The hand swelled and burned. I now use scissors.
Off LV 25-28 March.
carteki

Post by carteki »

gypsygirl wrote:Worst part was that this was only two years ago, meaning I was in my late thirties at the time. No excuses for youth and inexperience. :D
So at a client on Friday afternoon and the client moves upstairs into the bar. I was a teetotaller then and got nicely ribbed about my coke. Sunday morning I'm rushing out of the house and fall down the stairs, hurting my big toe. Back at the client on Monday morning limping along with my foot in a flip flop. The client sees this and doesn't miss a beat in saying "see what happens when you drink coke...."

Moving forward a couple of years I tore the tendon that runs on the outside of my foot - from that funny bone to my ankle. It hurts like the blazes and I used a walking stick for a while. I felt really sheepish when answering what I'd done - as I'd fallen over my own foot. I was stone cold sober at the time (I drink more as I age). I'd been sitting on my foot which "fell asleep" which resulted in my falling over it when I put weight on it.
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

carteki wrote:I'd been sitting on my foot which "fell asleep" which resulted in my falling over it when I put weight on it.
I've done this before! After sitting for ages on the floor for assembly when I was at school. So I kind of fell on top of people :lol:
lynn0301

Post by lynn0301 »

One time when I was around 8, I was practicing on the night before my violin recital. This included rehearsing my walkout on stage and taking a bow. While practicing my walkout, I decided to add some swagger. Ah, the typical 8-year-old me :lol: Unfortunately, I tripped and fell on the tile floor of the den with my violin in my arms. The violin did break :( . Luckily however, my dad was able to get a used violin from a neighbor for $50.
Difficile lectu mihi mars et jonicu difficile- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Years ago I was using a paring knife. I dropped the knife, it fell on the floor, bounced up, the point of the knife hit me in the leg, giving me a small puncture wound, then it fell back down to the floor again.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚