Earthquake!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Just now as I was sitting here going through the forums I felt an earthquake. Not a very large one and I think I only felt it because I am on the second floor. And as I'm texting with my daughter about the most recent quake all she can text back is that she is eating muffins!

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
tony123

Post by tony123 »

Well, who can resist the lure of a muffin, especially if it's hot! :lol:

I still recall a very slight earthquake so many years ago. None of the particulars, except that I was in an easy chair, and it felt as if I were being gently rocked... a strangely unsettling feeling.
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

We had a real roller here (southern Vancouver Island) just after Christmas last. And even with all the training we get on what to do in a quake, my grown kids and I and all my friends just sat there thinking "oh, another earthquake". It wasn't until after it was over that we thought we should have followed procedure. Most of the ones we get are so little that they are not felt by people, but about once a year or so we get a roller or a shaker. I just got a new display shelf for all my Doctor Who collectables and I made sure to put the very breakable ceramics on the bottom shelf. Hopefully they won't get broken in the next quake.

--Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
aaronml

Post by aaronml »

Hazel Pethig wrote:We had a real roller here (southern Vancouver Island) just after Christmas last. And even with all the training we get on what to do in a quake, my grown kids and I and all my friends just sat there thinking "oh, another earthquake". It wasn't until after it was over that we thought we should have followed procedure. Most of the ones we get are so little that they are not felt by people, but about once a year or so we get a roller or a shaker. I just got a new display shelf for all my Doctor Who collectables and I made sure to put the very breakable ceramics on the bottom shelf. Hopefully they won't get broken in the next quake.

--Hazel
OMG DOCTOR WHO!!!! I LOVE DOCTOR WHO! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :thumbs:
Aaron
J_N

Post by J_N »

I had a fairly strong one while in Japan - everything shook quite a lot... at uni we were told "if the Japanese don't freak, don't freak. it's not the shaking ones you have to be weary about, it's the ones that make the buildings jump that are dangerous."
so I simply got up and stood under a doorway, just in case a ceiling board or some such thing came loose. the desk lamp toppled to the floor and a picture came off the wall (which I caught as it was right next to me), but that was it. it's quite strange for me (coming from a country with very few, very weak earthquakes) how everyone was completely unfaced. I guess humans get used to everything. :shock:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

I thought before I moved here that people were crazy to ignore earthquakes. But now that I live in an EQ zone or just seems normal! Like many people here on the island I tend to avoid tall buildings, just in case. Most of the buildings in our capital city were build before EQ codes went into effect.