Hearing Test

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
carteki

Post by carteki »

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/hearing_test/
How high a frequency can you hear? I'm at 12000 Hz tone - I can't hear the next ones - but then I know that I have selective hearing :p

Kim
catrose

Post by catrose »

Up to 18000. May google another one to see if I can hear any higher! :mrgreen:

I think age has a lot to do with it. It reminds me of a craze we had in school a few years ago. "Mosquito ringtone". Apparently so high that you could hear your phone going off, but your teacher couldn't. It never worked though, and it caused half the class to get migraines :lol:

ETA: tested on a different website. The highest I can get up to is 19000 :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

12,000. I'm 51. I put it down to clean living, and not cranking up Barnsie and the Akka-Dakka too much.

SOTE
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Funny! I can hear 16kHz, which since it says that's for 30yo and under I think I'm doing OK! I can't imagine actually using it on my phone though - it's a very annoying noise!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I know absolutely nothing about audiology, but what I do notice is that the higher frequencies are at considerably lower volume than the lower frequency samples. Is it entirely surprising that I cannot hear the 18KHz sample when the volume only appears to be about 60% of the volume of the 8 and 10 KHz samples? According to MP3Gain, the samples range from 54dB to 86dB. If I amplify 18Hz by 10 dB I can hear it perfectly. Of course, I may be being simplistic and hearing doesn't work like that at all. The somewhat more scientific hearing check here indicates that I have no hearing loss, but perhaps age is taken into consideration in their calculation.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

I haven't done the test, but I did have my hearing tested recently as part of a scientific study I was taking part in. For the hearing test part they used special audiological headphones and took some trouble to position them quite carefully on my ears.

I suspect this is as much a test of your headphones as it is of your ears.
carteki

Post by carteki »

Interesting point about the different volumes vs the frequency of the sound. Perhaps they've skewed the volumes to make it "realistic". I think I may have some selective deafness at lower pitches - previously I posted something where Audacity said that the volume was 89db, but I could barely hear it (and it's happened before when I've edited a piece). Some experienced the same as me .. for others the volume was normal.

I did the other test and also came out "normal" - but I do think that it is age adjusted.

As my doc says ... "with the human body - what is normal?"

Kim