Kindle query

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I didn't want to spend all that money for a Kindle, so I downloaded the free "Kindle for the PC". I've been reading The Music of the Primes using this, but it's apparently a "text only" version and doesn't show the probably-very-useful diagrams. Does a physical Kindle handle pictures and diagrams properly?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

Hi Peter,
I think all Kindles show the same thing. The problem is that the Kindle version of some books seem to have poor quality illustrations (or omit them completely) compared with the paper versions. It's a fairly common complaint among readers.
If you're referring to the Marcus du Sautoy book, then a few of the Amazon customer reviews make a similar point.
Regards,
-Ian
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I can't help with the Kindle, Peter, (nor indeed with the Marcus du Sautoy book, as they don't have it), but have you discovered the excellent online resources (including ebooks and audiobooks) of the Kent Library service?

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you both. I've just bought a second-hand paperback of the book to get the diagrams.

Ruth, I've not explored the library's resources much yet. I should investigate further, but I've been put off a little because I've not heard anything yet of the one out-of-area book I requested two months ago, and search couldn't find another book I'd have liked to read, in or out of the county.

Thinking of Kindle still, I bought Sophie Neville's The Making of Swallows and Amazons as a paperback a while back, but bought The Secrets of Filming Swallows and Amazons on Kindle because it was supposed to have links to some amateur 8mm film that was taken at the time. It's essentially the same as the paper book but with links. But none of the links work ... gaah!

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger