One Book a Week Club 2016 (Good Intentions Edition)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Grahame's Golden Age is already in the catalogue. Although it's very pleasant to read, I don't (so far) love it so much that I'd do another reading of it. I do like it immensely, and I checked the LV catalogue as soon as I'd read a few pages to see if we already had a recording. His style in these essays is very reminiscent of the Wind in the Willows ... which I *am* tempted to read as a duplicate solo, despite disliking Toad so much.

Apparently A.A. Milne, who wrote the Toad of Toad Hall play, loved the Toad chapters, while his wife loved the others (Dulce Domum, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, the one about the seafaring rat ...). I'm on her side.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
smike

Post by smike »

Yes, I found the recording after I had posted here. :)

You just *have* to love toad -- isn't there a toad everywhere?
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I find it hard to enjoy a book or film which has a main character in it with whom I can't identify or empathise with in some way. I've never watched any of the later Shrek films, for example, because although I like the basic story, I dislike the character of that donkey so much that I don't want to encounter him again ... he's an emotionally manipulative liar.

This may explain why I don't much like Dickens's fiction: too many unpleasant characters.

If I do read Wind in the Willows as a solo, I'd probably read Toad rather like Billy Bunter in those early radio versions .... Yaroo!

Peter
smike

Post by smike »

Seeing as there already five versions of the book (two group, three solos), I guess you could just as well choose something else. ;)
Claudia

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Peter Why wrote:I find it hard to enjoy a book or film which has a main character in it with whom I can't identify or empathise with in some way. I've never watched any of the later Shrek films, for example, because although I like the basic story, I dislike the character of that donkey so much that I don't want to encounter him again ... he's an emotionally manipulative liar.

This may explain why I don't much like Dickens's fiction: too many unpleasant characters.

Peter
On the other hand one could argue that it's a compliment towards a creator- it means they managed to create a character that manages to evoke emotions in the audience, istead of being a totally one-dimensional plot device.

I'm striving to finish a Polish s-f novel. It kinda hard to keep going, though, because it's one of those books which involve time travel, alternative timelines and time dilation and stuff like that tends to make my brain hurt.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I've just finished "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers", a collection of reminiscences of Paul Erdös. He was an incredibly creative mathematician but, apparently like many powerful mathematicians, also very eccentric. The text was not too heavily mathematical, and brought together some biographical material with lots of anecdotes of his life from his friends and associates. A lovely read .. I do wish I'd pursued maths more intensely in my secondary school. I was good at the subject but for some reason didn't pursue it to A-level (the exams for approximately 18 year olds).

Thanks for suggesting the book, Carolin.

Peter
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Peter Why wrote:I've just finished "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers", a collection of reminiscences of Paul Erdös. He was an incredibly creative mathematician but, apparently like many powerful mathematicians, also very eccentric. The text was not too heavily mathematical, and brought together some biographical material with lots of anecdotes of his life from his friends and associates. A lovely read .. I do wish I'd pursued maths more intensely in my secondary school. I was good at the subject but for some reason didn't pursue it to A-level (the exams for approximately 18 year olds).

Thanks for suggesting the book, Carolin.

Peter
There's a documentary on YT about Erdos with fellow-matematicians and others reminiscing about him. I can't recall its title right now, though. What caught my interest was that he'd visited my city, Poznań, and was involved in a sports event (not as a competitor, ofc.). He also died in Poland while attending a conference.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
J_N

Post by J_N »

Today, I came across a very short novella (~60 pages) aimed at teenagers called "War, What if it Were Here" (Krieg - Stell dir vor, er wäre hier) by Janne Teller. The Danish author paints a surprisingly vivid picture (for such a short work) what it means to be a refugee... I think it was originally published in 2004 but is more relevant than ever today - especially since my country has recently fixed an upper limit on refugee intakes :evil:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I was looking up Kenneth Grahame on the internet and found that someone had written a sequel to The Wind in the Willows ... so I bought a second-hand copy. It only took a few days to read.

The Willows in Winter. Quite a good continuation of Grahame's style, but lacking in some way that I can't define ... lacking in love, perhaps (Grahame's love of people and places comes over in his Golden Age, as well as in Wind in the Willows)? Much too much Toad to my taste, but it does give you a bit more of the lives and personalities of the main characters. I enjoyed the book, but probably won't read it again.

Peter
smike

Post by smike »

When was the book written? I guess if it's newer, that might be why it is lacking something. I imagine it very hard to emulate that style and feel of Graham's time.
Claudia

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

It was written in 1993. The author apparently wrote a series of popular novels about Duncton Wood, but I've not encountered them.

Peter
J_N

Post by J_N »

I've just finished my second Dorothy Whipple book "Someone at a Distance" (and my 4th from Persephone Books), rounding of January.
I really enjoy her stories... I came across her last year because Cori had her in her 'One Book a Week Club 2015' list... and now I am forwarding the recommendation ;) If you enjoy "slice of life" stories set in England - Whipple wrote them marvellously :)

[I think Cori called her "20th century Jane Austen" ;)]
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Back to William Horwood and his Wind in the Willows sequels. Apparently he wrote a sequence of three of these novels following the original, plus a later-written novel (The Willows at Christmas) which comes before the first of the three. However, from reading the reviews on Amazon, in the third of the three main novels, Grahame's main characters all die. I will not be reading any more of Mr Horwood's books! In the same way as some of the reviewers of his books, I prefer to remember the Mole, Ratty, Otter and the Badger in a sort of timeless Summer ... I know it's a fantasy, but that glow is a big part of the pleasure of The Wind in the Willows.

Peter
smike

Post by smike »

Peter Why wrote: I will not be reading any more of Mr Horwood's books!
Peter
I read his Skallagrigg nearly 30 years ago, and it's a very compelling, gripping novel! Do give it a try if you can get hold of a copy, it's a book that really goes under your skin. Just seeing the author's name just now reminded me of it, and that means something. :)
Claudia

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Peter Why wrote:However, from reading the reviews on Amazon, in the third of the three main novels, Grahame's main characters all die.
whaaaaat!? :evil:
Carolin