One Book a Week Club 2016 (Good Intentions Edition)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

For me it was 17 paper books and 1 solo. I was going through a reading drought for most of the year...

I guess I could add the PLed books too, though...
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Only two books completed in December. Several other started, but I don't count those. Completed books were:

"The Enchanted Typewriter" by John Kendrick Bangs, LibriVox download. Amusing, clever little book very nicely read by Cleogirl (Cate Barratt)
"Almost a Family: A Memoir" by John Darnton. Library e-book download. Excellent memoir by a journalist whose father (also a journalist) was killed in WWII, when the author was an infant.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Just took a quick count of what I read last year, coming up with a count of 60. That includes a few short stories. My goal wasn't so much the number of books, but still book related. One was to read some books by John Steinbeck, as I hadn't read any of his works in decades. I accomplished that with a few of his short novels. I'll probably read a few more of his books in 2017. I also aimed at reading something by James Fenimore Cooper, but didn't get that done. So, that's a goal for 2017.

In the past few years I've been neglecting "real books" in favor of audiobooks and e-books. For 2016 I promised that I'd read some print books, and read 14 in 2016. Yay for me! One of my goals will be to increase that number in 2017. Of course there are still dozens and dozens of books sitting there all pretty and patient on the bookshelves, knowing that I'll read them one day...maybe. :)

Looking forward to a reading forum for 2017 similar to this one.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
J_N

Post by J_N »

Just leaving this here: 2017 thread - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=63428

See you there! :D
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

did anyone discover any new favourites this year that you would like to share, any recommendations we should all check out? :)
Carolin
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

If I were suggesting books from last year for a friend to read, I'd choose:

Fiction
Barbara Hambly - Bride of the Rat God. Hollywood in the ?twenties; revival of an ancient Chinese demon; friendship and love. I've read the book at least four times.

Non-fiction.
David Spiegelhalter - Sex by numbers. A statistician talks about sex and the difficulty of getting accurate data about what we do. He discusses the history of sex surveys and the ways that the media misuse reported results for sensational affect. An enjoyable wander through our (usually) hidden behaviour and how we find out how "normal" or unusual our tastes are.

Jack Hargreaves - Out of Town. Autobiographical collection of pieces from the time of his childhood, when horses were the power behind farmwork and transport, to 1929. Hargreaves was best known for his "Out of Town" television series, giving glimpses into country life (I have the DVDs of all that remain of the series after the BBC's casual willingness to delete recorded TV programmes of the sixties and seventies).

... and its sequel, "The Old Country". Like having an old, favourite uncle or grandfather reminiscing about life in the country "when I was a lad". Another collection of short, friendly essays about life as it used to be, by a man who was a child just after the first world war.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

:oops: I completely forgot to keep up this list. It looks as though my book list was last updated on April 1, 2016, and then I seem to have totally neglected it.

Looks like I had read 19 paper books and listened to about a dozen audiobooks, as of the date I stopped keeping the 2016 list.

I might be able to update from memory if it were only missing a month or so, but there's no way I'm going to be able to reconstruct the past 9 months from memory!

So I'll wash my hands of 2016, and begin a 2017 list. And resolve to do a better job of keeping it updated!