Short, hard-hitting documentary on audiobook recording

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
scout

Post by scout »

Content retracted.

Daniel
Last edited by scout on February 27th, 2015, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The quality of an audiobook of fiction may be defined by its technical quality, the author's
storytelling abilities, and the narrator's ability to capture the mood of the text.
— scout
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

carolb wrote:As Libba narrated her book, Beauty Queens, I suggest that it was in fact self-deprecating humour, with a large dose of empathy,
and most certainly a knowledge of what recording entails ... probably why she now has other narrators record her books. :wink:

Carol
Although on watching it, I thought it was very funny and could empathize, I wasn't clear on the fact that she was, in fact, recording a book that she herself had written. To me, this makes it even funnier, and I imagine the experience affected her future writing, knowing in the back of her mind that someone was going to have to read this out loud - or more specifically, act it.

Thanks Carol, for clarifying. Now I'll watch it again with a new appreciation.

Patti
The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many answers. Ruth Benedict

Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema

My Page
carolb

Post by carolb »

ppcunningham wrote: ... I wasn't clear on the fact that she was, in fact, recording a book that she herself had written.
I think in that sketch she was re-living the experience - and of course, hamming it up for the fun effect.

I came across this Degas quote:
Painting is easy when you don't know how, difficult when you do

Isn't that the truth for recording?! :P

Carol
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

Indeed.

I came across this one, that I thought was apropos:

"We can read all about oranges; we can look at pictures of oranges and we can talk to people who have eaten oranges. But, until we taste the orange ourselves, we do not truly understand the full truth about what an orange is."

--William Simpson

Made me giggle - also made me want to go buy some oranges......

Patti
The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many answers. Ruth Benedict

Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema

My Page
carolb

Post by carolb »

ppcunningham wrote: "We can read all about oranges; we can look at pictures of oranges and we can talk to people who have eaten oranges. But, until we taste the orange ourselves, we do not truly understand the full truth about what an orange is."--William Simpson
:clap: SO appropriate, Patti!

Carol
CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

hahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Oh, this was SO fantastic!! "These authors and their words!!!" lol! So true!! :D
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen