Librivox Podcast

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ultraspacemobile

Post by ultraspacemobile » May 2nd, 2014, 9:03 pm

Hello Librivoxers,

Having listened through the back-catalog of Librivox Community Podcasts, I could not help but notice that most of it was recorded between 2006 to about the middle of 2009. Also, not a single one has been recorded this year. Why is this? Does anyone have any thoughts on why the podcast has "gone extinct," so to speak?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 2nd, 2014, 9:07 pm

Because no one has stepped up to do them. :) That, and I think a lot of the topics have been covered, so it's harder to come up with new ideas.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Report of the President's Commission on Immigration and Naturalization (1953)
Christmas Lore, short chapters: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=77195

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » May 3rd, 2014, 12:00 am

What Tricia said. :)
Also, gathering materials (i.e submissions from participants willing to appear in a podcast) usually takes a few weeks. Brainstorming ideas and putting a podcast together can take some time too, especially if you're not familiar with the latter.
In fact there have been ideas for two installments this year but nothing has come of it so far.
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » May 3rd, 2014, 12:52 am

I may do one for the 9th anniversary... I suppose I ought to. I'll have a think about it.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 3rd, 2014, 6:36 am

It seems like interests here occur in waves. Back then, podcasts were the rage, and we had a team that were crazy about doing them. At another time, everyone on LibriVox seemed to be reading cooking and recipe books. Right now the rage is dramatic readings. I'm not sure what the next craze will be. :)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Report of the President's Commission on Immigration and Naturalization (1953)
Christmas Lore, short chapters: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=77195

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » May 3rd, 2014, 7:33 am

@TriciaG
Come to think of it, do we have a podcast about dramatic readings? I'll have to check :)
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

DrewJ

Post by DrewJ » May 3rd, 2014, 3:35 pm

I don't know anything about podcasting, but I would love to be a part of the next one if you'll have me. :)
When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won. -Second Witch
Read some poetry?

ultraspacemobile

Post by ultraspacemobile » May 3rd, 2014, 10:18 pm

You know, its interesting that the term "podcast" can mean so many things--Jim Mowatt treated the community podcast as a sort of community-focused radio talk show at first, but couldn't it really be anything LV-related? What if, for example, we used the podcast as a way to assemble criticisms of works by the readers that don't belong in the book summaries?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » May 3rd, 2014, 10:56 pm

Before I answer, what exactly do you mean by criticisms ?

Anne

ultraspacemobile

Post by ultraspacemobile » May 3rd, 2014, 11:46 pm

annise wrote:Before I answer, what exactly do you mean by criticisms ?
Interesting question. Allow me to answer with another question: Is there one kind of criticism you would like to do, and another kind you would not like to do?

To help iron this out, I will list a few of the meanings I understand from the word "criticism":

1. As a way of properly delimiting an idea, such as in Kant's Critiques.
2. In the sense of "art criticism" or "literary criticism," where it's used as a way of contextualizing an artwork with a culture, as a way of trying to get at its meaning.
3. In the sense of "formal criticism," saying what is good and bad about something, or what works and doesn't work, and for whom it is good or bad.
4. As "buying advice," so to speak, where the the audience takes the critic as an authority on the subject, whose opinion is trustworthy.

I think pretty much all of these would be fair game for a podcast--it really just depends on what the community would want to do , if any of them.

DrewJ

Post by DrewJ » May 4th, 2014, 1:23 pm

ultraspacemobile wrote:
annise wrote:Before I answer, what exactly do you mean by criticisms ?
Interesting question. Allow me to answer with another question: Is there one kind of criticism you would like to do, and another kind you would not like to do?

To help iron this out, I will list a few of the meanings I understand from the word "criticism":

1. As a way of properly delimiting an idea, such as in Kant's Critiques.
2. In the sense of "art criticism" or "literary criticism," where it's used as a way of contextualizing an artwork with a culture, as a way of trying to get at its meaning.
3. In the sense of "formal criticism," saying what is good and bad about something, or what works and doesn't work, and for whom it is good or bad.
4. As "buying advice," so to speak, where the the audience takes the critic as an authority on the subject, whose opinion is trustworthy.

I think pretty much all of these would be fair game for a podcast--it really just depends on what the community would want to do , if any of them.
Regarding 2, I think it would be very interesting to delve into a book's plot, and pick it apart to find meaning.
Read some poetry?

ultraspacemobile

Post by ultraspacemobile » May 4th, 2014, 5:09 pm

DrewJ wrote: Regarding 2, I think it would be very interesting to delve into a book's plot, and pick it apart to find meaning.
I agree--this would be interesting. It would be a neat spin on it, too, I think, if the podcast reported the readers' opinions on a work. It would present a different kind of perspective, especially for poetical works, which get at least some of their meaning and aesthetic value from the rhythms of speech. I'll also note that there is a big difference between reading a passage silently and reading it aloud--some things that seem quite reasonable in text form can sound absurd when read aloud.

Do any of you guys do research on a work to contextualize it before you read a chapter? Have you ever had difficulty saying something aloud that you thought was fine in text form?

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » May 5th, 2014, 12:54 am

Have you ever had difficulty saying something aloud that you thought was fine in text form?
Oh, boy, yes! :lol: viewtopic.php?p=664685#p664685

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

DrewJ

Post by DrewJ » May 5th, 2014, 5:22 am

ultraspacemobile wrote:
DrewJ wrote: Regarding 2, I think it would be very interesting to delve into a book's plot, and pick it apart to find meaning.
I agree--this would be interesting. It would be a neat spin on it, too, I think, if the podcast reported the readers' opinions on a work. It would present a different kind of perspective, especially for poetical works, which get at least some of their meaning and aesthetic value from the rhythms of speech. I'll also note that there is a big difference between reading a passage silently and reading it aloud--some things that seem quite reasonable in text form can sound absurd when read aloud.

Do any of you guys do research on a work to contextualize it before you read a chapter? Have you ever had difficulty saying something aloud that you thought was fine in text form?
If there is information available, it would be interesting to draw a connection from the author's life to his thoughts in his book.
And if there are two (or more) opinions on a work, it would be interesting to see the pros and cons of each side, more making all the information available to the reader than an 'approved opinion'.
Read some poetry?

fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks » May 9th, 2014, 9:17 am

and I think a lot of the topics have been covered, so it's harder to come up with new ideas.
Just wondering if a podcast about recording on your iPad/iPhone etc has ever been done, if not I think it would be very helpful. It took me over a month of searching, experimenting and frustration to find something that works for me.
Last edited by fiddlesticks on May 10th, 2014, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Tiffany

”There is no Frigate like a Book To take us Lands away"
– Emily Dickinson