Visiting relatives suck, a rant by Izze

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Izze

Post by Izze »

Very rarely do relatives visit my father's abode for long during the holidays; a wise decision as no one in the house can cook, and no one in the house can stand being disturbed while working. But, coming from a large farming family (My generation is the first to not own or work on any farms since agriculture became invented -don't laugh, my grandmother has tracked down records nearly that far to prove it), relatives love to visit as often as possible to show their holiday spirit.

And a bah humbug to them, I say!

I do not mind the festivities, and I do mind the relatives now that I am of age (meaning I can get legally drunk with them) to partake of their 'learned' discussions.

But, I also have relatives of the younger sort visiting, especially now that they are old enough to travel, and must deal with them. While a DVD and a VHS do quite fine as is, they become easily distracted, and easily mischeviously devious.

I had to run out for an emergency (my friend's computer was literally hissing sparks at her), and forgot to turn off my laptop on the way out the door, merely noting that I had securly closed the guest room (my room while on break) door while on the way out the front door.

But, this close-ed door would not stop the little vermin duo, the infamous gigglesome Thing One and Thing Two. And it was to THEM my laptop fell prey, and to them my great work of but a mere week destroyed.

Oh, how I toiled and sweated and suffered while recording the full first chapter of Kim! How I learned the software, and I suffered my throat until my vocal cords were stripped bare! (No, literally, I couldn't talk for two days, it was a pin the butt)

But those little demon children- a curse upon the earth!- laughed and so easily deleted the work; as if it were nothing but a tiny blip on their consciousless radars, and made a whole weeks of work in vain! :cry:

(Gods, I was so going to kill them when I got back and found out what they had done. On the upside: my cousin-their mother- has grounded them until Jan 25th, which means they can't open their christmas presents until then. Serves the two freaks right! :x )
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

No access to temporary files that might be undeleted?
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Oh, Izze! LOL at your Christmas lament and many, many sympathies. Good luck on recovering the files.
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
kayray

Post by kayray »

Oh, poor, poor Izze.

hugs and sympathy and... merry christmas anyway :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Izze

Post by Izze »

Peter Why wrote:No access to temporary files that might be undeleted?
Nope. The amazing powers of a seven year old are to delete things completely. :shock:

Next time I'm rigging the door wiht claymores to keep them out. :twisted:
kayray

Post by kayray »

or maybe password-protect your computer!
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Izze

Post by Izze »

I like the claymore mines better. Send more of a "Stay Out" message than a password. :lol:

Thankfully, I'm already half way done with the first chapter again, and as I now know what I'm doing, it's going a lot faster. :D
kayray

Post by kayray »

Yes, it's very true that the first few recordings are the hardest and slowest. You get really efficient after a while :)
Kara
--------