Anyone else prefers recording in a foreign language?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I've just finished recording - and then re-recording! - a chapter from a Polish project. It reminded me what a workout for speech muscles it is for me to read something clearly in my native language. Polish tends to have lots of consonantal clusters which take an effort to pronounce clearly, so being as I am a mumbler by nature it can definitely be a challenge.
If I were to count my sections recorded in Polish and in English both here and on Legamus I'm sure the latter would be more numerous. Obviously, recording in English comes with its own challenges, but still I think I prefer it overall. (In fact I have prepared a whole mental list of pros and cons regarding either of the languages :mrgreen: ).
So, am I a freak of nature or are there other people like this here? :mrgreen:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm the same, preferring to record in English rather than in German.

I prefer reading Non-fiction, and many of the books I've read are not even available in German. Also, there is the question of extra impact for a language essentially everyone on the planet is learning. :wink:

I just checked: The only 3 solos I've done in German are a novella by an Austrian author, the Austrian State Treaty of 1955, and a book on continental drift by the guy who came up with the theory - a German...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i also read more in english than in my native language, but thats mostly because i have friends at the other end of the world who listen to my recordings. they dont speak german, but they were the ones encouraging me to read in the first place, and when i read, i have them in mind as listeners. if it werent for that, i would probably read more in german than in english.
Carolin
IsabelleB

Post by IsabelleB »

I enjoy recording as much in my native language (French) as I do in English. Recording in English involves much more editing, and I feel far less confident than I do with a French recording.
I also feel that there are so much more people on LV able to record in English than there are in French, so maybe my contribution is more valuable in the French department.
That being said - I have a passion for the specific musicality of the English language, and had I more time and more confidence, I might record more of it. :)
Isabelle
bropops4

Post by bropops4 »

malo Latinam loqui linguam. dm
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

bropops4 wrote:malo Latinam loqui linguam. dm

Lucky you! As a near-monoglot Australian I obviously prefer to record in English.

I have just enough of four other languages to enjoy reading bits of them when they occur in an English language text. I'm beginning to get quite brave at attacking short Latin poems though I haven't quite settled on a pronounciation.

French, which is so damn pretty to listen to and which I can understand, is so difficult to pronounce that I'd never attempt to record it.

Italian I learnt to pronounce for singing so I'm quite fearless about it.

Most of all I relish reading snippets of German. It's a language I know only from its wonderful poetry and the even more wonderful musical settings of the same - maybe that's why the rhythm and rise and fall of German are so attractive to me? Also perhaps because it is a third cousin of English - English with the added benefit of consonantal groups you can really get your tonsils around - Schleswig-Holstein.
GardenerOfStars

Post by GardenerOfStars »

Interesting question...

At this point I definitely prefer recording in German- rarely get to speak my native language, so it feels like a trip to the "old country" every time I record.

Besides, I do like the idea of my non-English speaking family members to check out some of my stuff :). Now I'm just waiting for hubby to learn German :D

Take care,

Rebecca
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. (Mark Twain)
J_N

Post by J_N »

I don't have a particular preference... but since I don't get to use English all that often (apart form things like "He is not in the office today, can I help you?") I tend to record more in English and I would love to record in French, but I have not had the courage, yet :wink:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!