Films better than books

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
SPly

Post by SPly »

mightyfelix wrote:
SPly wrote: Same here, because I have never read the book. (It sounded rather dark)
I've read it, but only once. I don't remember it being particularly dark. There are several interjections of the author (pretending to be the editor), some of which are kind of jabs at classical authors deviating from the storyline to make an aside about something tangentially related. I kind of resented those jabs, because I usually enjoy those deviations.

That being said, Inigo and Fezzik breaking into the Pit of Despair is WAY better in the book!
Sounds interesting!
I loved the movie!
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

Metropolis. I've never had the pleasure of reading the book, but having seen its silent film translation, I'm not quite sure the book could live up to that film's incredible conveyance of the utter bleakness inherent in our society - for it is not only a reality within the story itself. It is a society within which people are enslaved, robotized & lobotomized all in the name of a monotonous, mind-numbing abstraction falsley labeled 'work'. I'm in full agreement with thinkers like Emma Goldman, David Thoreau, and other classical anarchists in that any work that does not promote beauty, life & joy and is not entered into simply because one wants to is 'work' that destroys both Self and Earth. That said, my view on the matter may seem skewed to some, though it is one I challenge anyone to deny is, sadly, simple truth.
WHITE PHOSPHORUS was dropped on Palestine tonight.
watekinslet

Post by watekinslet »

Obviously Lord of the Rings! Lightyears better than the books
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

watekinslet wrote: January 26th, 2018, 5:49 am Obviously Lord of the Rings! Lightyears better than the books
We may have to agree to disagree here. I could go into some of the reasons why PJ's adaptations must have poor J.R.R.T. rolling in his grave, but then you might not be able to get me to shut up!
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Red Dog (2011). No question.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GTExiWzvJlo
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 27th, 2018, 5:42 pm Red Dog (2011). No question.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GTExiWzvJlo
I'd never heard of it, but I may have to find it now. Thanks for sharing.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Stardust! (Book by Neil Gaiman)

Great movie, well paced, good balance of humour and adventure, and of course Clare Danes!

The book is much darker, takes a lot longer and the ending not nearly as satisfying. It is more Neil Gaiman though. I like his writing overall, but it does tend toward the dark.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

watekinslet wrote: January 26th, 2018, 5:49 am Obviously Lord of the Rings! Lightyears better than the books
Oh no, definitely not! The movies are a fun adventure romp through fantasy land with a bit of humour thrown in. The books are philosophical reflections on human nature and society, among other things, as well as being the archetype for fantasy world building. There are some slow parts, granted, and some bits like Tom Bombadil that don't advance the plot at all. But overall LOTR improves on a second and subsequent readings - I've just finished my fifth (I think) read through and still found new insights to appreciate!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'd have to admit that I hestitate to start reading it again , because every time I start I have to read them all and finish up reading in the middle of the night.
I didn't want to watch the movie because I couldn't see how they could fit it all in but I enjoyed it and it was true to the story concept , though my sister and her daughters were upset about Tom's absence :D

Anne
watekinslet

Post by watekinslet »

Elizabby wrote: January 28th, 2018, 10:29 pm
Oh no, definitely not! The movies are a fun adventure romp through fantasy land with a bit of humour thrown in. The books are philosophical reflections on human nature and society, among other things, as well as being the archetype for fantasy world building. There are some slow parts, granted, and some bits like Tom Bombadil that don't advance the plot at all. But overall LOTR improves on a second and subsequent readings - I've just finished my fifth (I think) read through and still found new insights to appreciate!
Fair points. But I really think that movies did a better job of cutting out any unnecessary fat and really trimming down the story to be more accessible. I enjoy both the books and movies, but find myself flipping through the pages to skip endless backstory and songs! Plus, who doesn't love getting to see the action come to life?
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

I agree Eliz. The books are masterpieces I've read them through more than I can count, the only part I am ever tempted to skim is all Treebeards songs... J.RR just can't help himself. I like how it portrays the roles of the people, the women where they should be, the men fighting to protect them and beauty, and the smallest(Hobbits) being the greatest. Its a good template for life.

If only real life were that pleasant, I fear that Mordor is in our own hearts, not only an external thing. I think that's the only thing J.RR is not quite honest with. However, they are my favorite series.

And the films are amazing... Except the Hobbi... No, lets not even mention it, maybe we can keep our sanity. What were they thinking! Come on! :mrgreen: Legolas running on air, they lost the point to everything. But I have to wait like five years to watch them again, cause when you can repeat line for line, I think its time to wait a bit.

I hear Amazon is going to make a new series, I can't imagine they won't butcher it. :)
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm currently on my (I think) fourth read through of LotR, and this time, I'm listening to a series of free online lectures over the books by Corey Olson (AKA The Tolkien Professor). He spends quite a lot of time on the songs and poetry, actually, and it's been really fascinating how they lead to a deeper understanding of the characters who sing them and the cultures they portray.

Getting back to the original topic, though, I recently learned that Forrest Gump was a book first. I never knew that! So obviously, I've never read it, but it would have to be pretty spectacular to beat the movie.

Also, Big Fish (with Ewan MacGregor, directed by Tim Burton) was based on a book. That's another that I haven't read, and I know by watching interviews and behind the scenes stuff from the movie that there were some things they changed for the film. But based on that little bit that I know, I don't think I would like the book as much as the movie. (Also, I'm a big Tim Burton fan.)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Oh, speaking of films better than books - Born on the Fourth of July! The movie was pretty inspirational stuff about a soldier who had his legs blown off and ended up in a wheelchair protesting the Vietnam war. The book was actually pretty depressing and bitter, but the movie with Tom Cruise was great!

I'll be interested to see Ready Player One - I've just read the book, so I can't wait to see how they do with the movie!
Win2017

Post by Win2017 »

I've heard about that movie a lot, I didn't know it was based on a book. Is it worth reading?
Hope Kuerschner

It is not the will of God that in this life we should be sinless, Lest we should find a perfection apart from forgiveness. P.T Forsyth
Theologians have done more to hide the gospel of Christ than any of its adversaries. GM
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Ready Player One? It was OK - the author is more of an 80's geek than a true SF writer, IMHO. I've seen much better books based on the idea of virtual reality (Tad Williams, City of Golden Shadow was amazing!) but it was a fun romp through the 80's arcade games in memory. It reminded me a bit of "The Last Starfighter" if you've seen that one.

(If you meant Born on the 4th of July, I'd give the book a miss - all the best stuff made it into the movie. It's the "good bits version" of his diaries. The book is just about what happened, and it doesn't so much end as trail off... )