New blog: "Gilded Grammar"

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ccfpcl

Post by ccfpcl »

I saw a truck today go past me carrying a load of calor bottles with

"Rick's gas's" on the side in 2ft high letters.

:roll:
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

If I see one more "I don't want to loose my deposit" or "I am going to sale my old grammar books" I will scream. Internally, of course, so as not to scare the dogs. :)
Laurie Anne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

chocoholic wrote:If I see one more "I don't want to loose my deposit" or "I am going to sale my old grammar books" I will scream. Internally, of course, so as not to scare the dogs. :)
At a risk of sounding like an ignorant, I'll ask: what's wrong with the latter sentence? EDIT: OH, I get it...

Oh, and nothing I've seen here so far beats "cereal killer" :mrgreen: I've seen it written, in an absolutely serious post on a certain forum. In case you should wonder, the poster meant "serial killer".
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Mike001

Post by Mike001 »

chocoholic wrote:If I see one more "I don't want to loose my deposit" ...
Similarly, you will see sentences similar to "She went like a lamb lead to the slaughter".

Perhaps there are vague memories to do with the sound/spelling of the metal coming in there.
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

MY pet peeve - "I borrowed him the book."
No, you did not. You loaned him the book. He borrowed it from you."
(Or you lent him the book, I suppose, if you speak British English.)
Last edited by ElleyKat on July 26th, 2013, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Oh, I have another one. "It needs cleaned." I have been seeing variations of that all over the place lately. I am seeing it so much now that I am wondering if it's a colloquialism, as opposed to people just not knowing.
Laurie Anne
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Colloquialisms have their way of popping up into existence and become widely accepted. Take "thanks very much" for example. Is "thanks" a verb here? Then who thanks? The one who speaks it? Nope. If it were, then we'd have "thank" (1st person), right? Somebody else? (As in "it thanks very much"? Unlikely. So, it's not a verb. It's a noun, then. As in " thanks, a lot [of them]", right? So, "thanks very much" is a replacement (or a variation on) "thanks, a lot" or "thanks, a million"...

I come to the conclusion that when a living language is concerned, don't try to make sense of some parts of it. And trying to get people to go back to a "proper" way is like trying to quell a volcano from a teapot.

As for "thanks very much", I am guessing it's akin to Russian "спасибо" (spasibo, "thank you"). It came from two words "Спаси Бог" ("may the god save [you/us/everybody]"). Eventually it became its own word.

I would not really be surprised to learn that some years from now "it needs cleaned" or "I borrowed him a book" become accepted... :roll:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

'Thanks' in this case is a noun, and according to the OED, is
a much abbreviated expression of gratitude for a favour received or recognition of a service; = I give you my thanks, my thanks to you, or the like.
'Thank you' is similarly an abbreviation for 'I thank you'.

'Borrow' and 'lend', however, are opposite in meaning.

Using the wrong tense or part of speech merely shows a basic lack of understanding of grammar in my opinion, but, as grammar doesn't seem to be taught any more, I suppose it isn't surprising.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

Speaking of thanks, what's up with "You're welcome."
I don't understand this exchange.
[I lend you a hankie.]
You: Thanks. (I thank you.)
Me: You're welcome. (You are welcome.)

Welcome to what?

And on top of that, there are people who get all uppity if you say some variant of "you're welcome," like "no problem," insisiting that's a rude reply. Um, if you're telling me thanks for something I did, then I should be able to response however the heck I want. I was already nice to you. Sheesh. I usually find myself saying "Thank YOU" back. Like, thanks for thanking me!!

Synonyms (acknowledgment of thanks): de nada, don’t mention it, my pleasure, no problem, not at all, no worries (Australia, informal), think nothing of it

Language be weird, yo. Word up.
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

I also enjoy :

"I need to unthaw the chicken." (You just said you need to freeze the chicken there, buddy, when you meant thaw. It's just thaw. No un.)

"irregardless" (Regardless is already without regard. You don't need to add an extra without. I think you meant either regardless or irrespective, not both of them smooshed together.)

them/those
~Elley

Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

ElleyKat wrote:no worries (Australia, informal)
Not only Australia, I hear this often in Canada too. I think it's a shortened "Don't worry about it."
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Ernst Pattynama

Post by Ernst Pattynama »

Darvinia wrote:
ElleyKat wrote:no worries (Australia, informal)
Not only Australia, I hear this often in Canada too. I think it's a shortened "Don't worry about it."
.. no sweat ...
We are never so ridiculous for the qualities we have as for those we pretend to.
Mike001

Post by Mike001 »

tovarisch wrote: I come to the conclusion that when a living language is concerned, don't try to make sense of some parts of it. And trying to get people to go back to a "proper" way is like trying to quell a volcano from a teapot.
Absolutely. There's an impoverished idea of "sense" moving behind that notion. People's utterances are often "incomplete", frequently idiomatic, and just as frequently highly allusive. And if there are authors out there complaining about "bad grammar" on that basis ... well, they're barking mad.

I'd go further than that. It would be silly to take the attitude that anything goes, but the idea that written, let alone spoken, language should always conform not to what good writers (or speakers) actually do but to rules that originally arose as a way of analysing how people used a language in order to be able to speak about that use is peculiar. It's mistaking the stepchild of an activity for its parent.

One should also notice that in the past people have often tried to make English usage conform to rules extracted from the way Latin works. But English is a different language and works in a different way. So you end up with an artificial standard of correctness that is actually incorrect: it's precisely not what native speakers do.