Pets and instruments

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

That sounds realy nice! I attempted teaching myself the guitar, but could never figure out the strumming pattern :roll:
~Tiffany
carolb

Post by carolb »

agnoscomihi wrote: I've been meaning to record more stuff I know but I'm waiting until I fix some minor problems on my axe.
Minor problems on your axe??? :shock:
I hope you're not planning on using it on your guitar...or worse!

I had a quick listen to your first piece, agnoscomihi. Lovely!

Carol
dejanristic1983

Post by dejanristic1983 »

I have just finished listening to your performances, friend. It is not clear to me why you think that your playings are bad. Be free and do not underestimate your abilities. To ease yourself, try to find some Victor Woothen's talks on music on youtube. Thanks God, there are as many as you wish. According to him, it is not a tragedy if you sometimes pluck a wrong tone. The most important thing is to produce sounds and make music. And, when you play, be relaxed. Do not be afraid of plucking wrong tones. But, if you pluck a wrong tone, link subsequent tones to it and pluck up your creativity based on your own sweet mistakes.
Paintonthemoon

Post by Paintonthemoon »

1. I play ukulele and I am learning Guitar.
2. I have a dog called Inker. He is a rough haired Jack russell
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” — Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler)
My Librivox Catalog Page.
dejanristic1983

And how is your learning going? do you have any problems? I do not play the guitar, but I like its sound. Some people say that they have strumming problems, some say that they find it difficult to play solo pieces. do you think that playing solo on the guitar is difficult? I play the accordion and if you want to reach your goals, you're to practice a lot.
Paintonthemoon

Post by Paintonthemoon »

Yeah its going alright. I am teaching myself so it's going slowly, but I just do bits a pieces when I can. Like my ukulele it helps relax me if things are getting stressful, I just really enjoy them both. Umm ... strumming is fairly hard, but I think because I started with the Uke, I kind of got the coordination from that. But when I started with the uke I did find it hard to strum and change chords at the same time, but like you said "practice makes perfect" :) Learning the chords and getting my fingers in the right position is the hardest I find :) But I can play a few tunes :P Also, going from uke to guitar is strange because of the size difference :lol:
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” — Lemony Snicket (aka Daniel Handler)
dejanristic1983

Same goes for the accordion, that's to say bass and piano coordination. When I started learning the accordion, it was very easy to play the right side (piano side). But when I began to join together basses and piano, there were a hundred problems to be solved. Suddenly did I forget what I had acquired till then. And it was one of the hardest tasks to be solved. But, slow practicing is a remedy. the order of fingers is also an integral part of good playing.
dejanristic1983

Some of the librivox members once asked whether he/she could hear something that librivoxers had ready to show. I think that it was Catrose, But I am not so sure. Here is one of my songs written in Serbian. I wrote the text and composed music for the song. It is called 'The message of life'. I am going to do an English translation for you soon so that you can understand the message of the song. Here is a link to the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzQR9mBqRkA
dejanristic1983

I forgot to tell you that I played the accordion in that song. It was recorded in a studio, but as for the sounds of the accordion, they were my doing. Thanks!
dejanristic1983

It was raining when you went away.
as my memory tells me,
You have not sent a word back to me, anyway.
the wind was whispering:
Oh, compose yourself, don't be sad,
For she will come to you one day
and you will be glad'.

refrain:

the paths of our lifes are long and hard upon us,
You are to go the ways of sadness,
and, untill you have found your own happiness you must continue thus.
but, when reality unravels and before us has it stood,
Then the message of life can be understood.

Old people say that so it must be.
Our life never unveils its secrets for you and me.
But, as soon as, in front of us, our cards have stood,
then our whole life can be understood.

Refrain is repeated

When our love is extinguished,
In solitude never have we been.
In the depths of the total darkness the light of happiness can be seen.
that darkness is sometimes dear to me,
For, afterwards, will I be able your beauty to see.

Refrain is repeated
dejanristic1983

I hope that you will find my translation clear. It was a difficult task for me to do the translation, but I think that I succeeded in solving it.
Paintonthemoon

Post by Paintonthemoon »

Wow thats awesome :clap:
Thank you for translating and showing me :)

Beth
agnoscomihi

Post by agnoscomihi »

@fiddlesticks: It took me awhile to start getting rhythm down, I sounded like total garbage for the first couple years.

@Carolb: Axe is slang for guitar, at least among metalheads. I don't think I've ever owned a real axe, though I do have a hatchet somewhere...

@dejanristic1983: Its not the playing, its the recording. I recorded them with the same mic I'm going to be librivoxing with, and while its a decent mic its nothing special. Don't get me wrong, I thought it sounded just fine until an audio engineer buddy of mine pointed out some major things I could have done better, and now that's all I hear. That being said I do not doubt my abilities, but I'm usually pretty modest about it. I'll totally check out those videos though, they sound interesting!

Thanks for the compliments everybody!
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

@fiddlesticks: It took me awhile to start getting rhythm down, I sounded like total garbage for the first couple years.
I have no problem with chords, but when it comes to the rythm in strumming I don't even know where to begin ? I have watched videos read about it everything I can think of but I am no further along than when I first tried, its odd, because I can play the violin by ear reasonably well, someday I will give it a try, but life is really stressful right now so that would make it more so :roll:
One question, did you teach yourself? Aside from the Internet :wink: I am entirely on my own
~Tiffany
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Bottleneck slide guitar can be wonderfully drifty and meditative, and you don't need to have got very far with basic guitar-playing technique to make beautiful sounds. I'm really a very basic guitar player (I've learned three tunes by heart, with a little finger picking), but can still make nice sounds with the bottleneck.

Slide has the advantage that with the guitar in standard tuning (EADGBE), the top three strings form a minor triad (starting with an open E minor chord), while strings 2-4 form a major chord (starting with G major open).

I've noodled around for about 3½ minutes, but I'm not sure how to get the recording to you, if anyone would like to listen. Mediafire seems to have stopped working for me. May I drop it into our Test folder for a couple of days?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger