Pets and instruments

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

I was just curious about a few things

1. What kind of instruments do you people play, i have found that most book people i know are also instrumental, or at least would like to be :D I know not everyone plays them, but those who do what do you play? I play the violin. I have attempted numerous times to teach myself the guitar, I can learn the chords, but, despite my love of music I most certainly do not have "an ear for music" and cannot get the strumming :roll: I have played around a little with the recorder and harp, but don't know enough to play anything and, if there are no more than three flats I can play the right hand on the piano :lol: that is my very limited musical talents

2. What sort of pets do all you people have? and, if you don't mind me asking, what are their names? I know sombody has cats, can't remember who. But I have two degus, if you don't know what that is just look up the word 'degu' they are sooooooo cute! Their names are Periwinkle and Serena, I usually name my pets after a character in the book I am currently reading or one I have read recently, when I got them I was reading one called 'the little white horse' I have a chinchilla named Izzy, she came with that name. A cat named Tigger I was into Winnie the Pooh when I got her as a kitten eight or nine years ago, my sisters and I have a rabbit named Fiddlesticks, that name came from a book called Fiddlesticks and Freakles. And last but not least I have a horse I am training named Miner, he also came with that name. The pets of my family that are not mine include four more cats named Charles, Stripy, Lynea, and Seret, and a whole bunch of chickens which get treated as pets by my siblings and most of them have names, even if I could remember them I would not bother typing them up :wink:
~Tiffany
catrose

Post by catrose »

1. I am also a violinist! :D Brilliant when played right! Sound like you're strangling kittens when played wrong! I play in a Junior String Orchestra (Hopefully, I'm leader this year) and I've just been invited to join my first Junior full Orchestra. I also taught myself to play the ukulele reasonably well (Both chords and plucking, but chords are more recognizable) I can also almost play the keyboard (Right hand and very very simple left hand)

2. A dog called Alfie (who knows how to hide under the table and avoid my bedroom when I'm recording) and a fish called Fishie (Such an oh so creative name ehh?)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

1. Recorder, piano, drums
2. None at the moment but have had dogs and a cat in the recent past. Dogs were Spook, Rocket, Buster. Cat was Sunshine. All were male. A long long time ago I had a dog named Dandylion.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

who knows how to hide under the table and avoid my bedroom when I'm recording
:lol: :lol:

If did any recording I am sure I would have the oportunity to post under bloopers me freaking out over Izzy chewing a cord, or telling her to get out of that box etc. ect. while recording a section :wink:

I am still learning the violin, but I am far ahead of where I supposedly am in the book, but I know enough to play pretty much whatever I want to if I know the tune.

Dandelion is a really cute name!
Last edited by fiddlesticks on November 3rd, 2012, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Tiffany
catrose

Post by catrose »

fiddlesticks wrote: I am still learning the violin, but I am far ahead of where I supposedly am in the book, but I know enough to play pretty much whatever I want to if I know the tune.
Done any grades yet? :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I don't play any instruments, but when I was a kid, I wanted to learn to play the clarinet. Does that count? :lol:

We have a bunny, her name is Lucy. She is named after Lucy in The Chronicles of Narnia, and her name totally fits. Always into everything, trying to get out of the yard! But she is so much fun.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

I am learning at home with two of my brothers, out of nine we are on 4 and 4a/5a which is like four and a half I guess, it is the one that teaches vibrato the author added a few after she had 'finished writing them so I think that was one she added after. I do not know what level or grade we are at the books don't tell you :roll:
~Tiffany
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

I don't play any instruments, but when I was a kid, I wanted to learn to play the clarinet. Does that count?
Of course it counts! :D

I had better finish my PLing now, got a little distracted :lol:
~Tiffany
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No instruments. I can plunk out notes on a piano, but not enough to actually be called "playing."

No pets. I would like a cat, but I've been vetoed. Image
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

I played violin in the school orchestra when I was a kid (up to age 13 or so) but nothing currently. I'm not very musical. :)

One dog named Oscar. Totally obsessive pet owner as anyone who's seen my Facebook can attest. We had to take him to the vet today for an eye infection and he was a VERY good boy, but now we have to dose his eye with ointment three times a day. Ew.
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Poor Oscar and poor you! I don't know if I would prefer having drops put in my eye or having to put them in someone else's! I am obsessed with pets as well! :D
~Tiffany
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Beginner at five string banjo and recorder (the latter to Grade 2), but stupidly gave away the banjo some four years ago and haven't touched the recorder in possibly ten years.

Beginner at guitar (folk and blues style), learning a little slide, too. Shakuhachi for relaxation (I took lessons for a year or so about eight years ago, but couldn't afford to continue).

I've not had pets since I was a child ... when they were more my parents'.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

I dropped my piano lessons when I was seven, and I only learned how to play the flute :D

I have 6 cats btw :D 1 Calico, 1 Tabby and 4 bi-colors :D
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
carolb

Post by carolb »

Classical guitar for about a year - it seemed a shame that my wedding gift to my husband had lain unused for so long! Then life became too busy, but this thread has perhaps inspired me to think again.

We had an unusual cat that wasn’t interested in birds or fish, but would chase large dogs down the road, growling. A recent conversation with friends reminded me how lucky I’d been. Their generous cats bring gifts of rats, mice, squirrels, frogs etc. – dead, alive and half–way between the two!

(Lucky veto, Tricia!) :wink:

Carol
I spent my childhood with a lovely dog whose only fault was to follow me and jump on the bus to school!Image
Last edited by carolb on November 4th, 2012, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
elainesilva

Post by elainesilva »

1. Church organ, sometimes piano and flute. I love music and had been playing for our church since I'm in 6th grade, which is about approx. 9 years ago... I would love to play the guitar though, and violin!

2. I don't really have a pet 'coz the only animal I'm partial with are cats... Though I'm fine with dogs, not every dog, but my cousin's pet which is named Oreo because his fur is black and white though we call him Munchkin because he's so small...
Lyn Silva

“Never say good-bye because saying good-bye means going away and going away means forgetting.” -J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan