The top sci-fi short stories on PG - poll

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes » September 8th, 2012, 11:23 am

We've recorded many of the short science fiction stories available on Project Gutenberg, but I'd like to get a consensus on the best sf stories on PG. The floor is open...
8-)
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » September 8th, 2012, 12:45 pm

"Best" is a difficult one. I've looked through the list on gutenberg to see how many titles and authors I recognise. I subscribed to Analog for about five years long, long ago (and remember reading Dune month by month, which as well as the gripping story, had some wonderful illustrations .. and Analog experimented with an A4-sized format at around that time, too, which was interesting).

I looked at a few on that list at random, too .. .and wow, there's some appalling badly written stuff there!

But the one short story that I recognised immediately from reading it well over forty years ago, was "Poppa Needs Shorts" by Leigh and Walt Richmond.

Then there are the Retief stories by Keith Laumer, of which there are two in the list: Gambler's World and The Yillian Way.

And finally, some stories whose style of writing has definitely dated, but which I'd love to see published as a collection if there are more of them, are a group of stories by John Berryman ("Walter Bupp"): Card Trick, Modus Vivendi, and Vigorish. These are about a Lodge of psis forming and trying to enforce their rules on other psis out in society ... done in a sort of Mike Hammer style.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » September 8th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Does The Sex Life of the Gods count? :twisted: :lol:
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

catrose

Post by catrose » September 8th, 2012, 12:49 pm

icequeen wrote:Does The Sex Life of the Gods count? :twisted: :lol:
Exactly what I was wondering! :twisted:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!

jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered » September 11th, 2012, 7:13 am

Personally I feel that you haven't experienced the excellence of vintage sci-fi until you read H. Beam Piper. I adore his work "Little Fuzzies" but I also really love all the other ones too, Four Day Planet, Lonestar Planet, and Space Viking (I mean, thats just a great name).

The X-Minus One Project also contains a numerous amount of short stories from the early careers of some now very well known authors, such as Philip K Dick and Leibowitz. I normally dont go in for short stories, but this collection was absolutely excellent.

Andre Norton is well represented on PG and LV too, but while I enjoy her works, the two above I enjoy more.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!