Things I will never understand.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

MBraymiller wrote:I'll never understand why it is that as soon as I claim a section or three of a book, I catch a cold and and sound like a nasally yak for the next four weeks!
i have exactly the same and am just as baffled as you are :roll:
Carolin
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

I'll never understand why someone will dive and dodge their way through traffic that's going at an average speed of I-didn't-know-a-car-could-go-that-slow-without-actually-stopping. Everyone ends up at the same traffic light.

Sheesh.
Why yes there IS a blog about choral singing. Thanks for asking.
http://www.thewindwardchoralsociety.org/news/
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

... drivers / motorcyclists who don't use signaling devices while waiting for a turn. Just sit in the middle of the road and you don't know if they're turning or their car has stalled. :evil: :roll: Also -- waiting til last second to signal, then abruptly turn. Ugh.
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

To continue with the theme (after having to travel our one major highway during rush hour)...

I will never understand how law-abiding citizens decide it's okay to clog the commuter lane when they are alone in their car. I started keeping track for a while...3 out of 5 cars had no passengers.

I guess it's the old "Law of the Commuter": me first, you....never.
J_N

Post by J_N »

oh, I have one along those lines as well... on our highways we often have 3 lanes... basically far right is for slower cars... middle is for over-taking those slower cars if you are faster... and far left is for over-takting the cars on the middle lane... and you are supposed to get back into the right lane once you have finished over-taking... but for some reason, some people stay on the middle lane for the WHOLE time... no matter if they are going exactly the same speed as the far right lane or sometimes even slower... SO annoying... get out of the way like you were taught in driving school... :evil:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

J_N wrote:some people stay on the middle lane for the WHOLE time... no matter if they are going exactly the same speed as the far right lane or sometimes even slower...
I HATE THOSE PEOPLE! they somehow seem to think the right lane is only for busses and trucks. but they are also for people who drive their fiats like busses, so get out of the way :evil:
Carolin
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

Ah yes, the Left Lane Loafer. Just makes you want to ease up and tap them ever-so-gently with your bumper, doesn't it?

Moving on...

I'll never understand why weather forecasters attempt to be so ridiculously specific when they're really just guessing. For example, instead of saying, "It may rain today, bring an umbrella", they have to provide a "Percent of Precipitation". It turns out this is an actual calculation of a guess, according to NOAA:

"PoP = C x A where "C" = the confidence that precipitation will occur somewhere in the forecast area, and where "A" = the percent of the area that will receive measureable precipitation, if it occurs at all."

Which really means it's a guess multiplied by another guess to generate an exact number with the qualification that it may be completely incorrect.

(No, I did not bring my umbrella today. And I'm wet.)
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I will never understand how in my whole life I have never inserted a USB plug the right way on the first try. Never. Not once. Sometimes not in two tries.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

sjmarky wrote:I will never understand how in my whole life I have never inserted a USB plug the right way on the first try. Never. Not once. Sometimes not in two tries.
Yes...I think it's the same way with HDMI.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

kukailimoku wrote:Ah yes, the Left Lane Loafer. Just makes you want to ease up and tap them ever-so-gently with your bumper, doesn't it?
I always drive in the left lane don't mind other people doing it to. But I do understand why some people usually drive in the right lane.

What I don't understand is why people drive in the wrong lane.
-Bria

Dramatic Readings of Bible passages

Some reason I decided to try to write fiction. And it sucked me far away from LibriVox into the world of writing, editing and blogging.
Click here to read about it.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Breeze wrote:
kukailimoku wrote:Ah yes, the Left Lane Loafer. Just makes you want to ease up and tap them ever-so-gently with your bumper, doesn't it?
I always drive in the left lane don't mind other people doing it to. But I do understand why some people usually drive in the right lane.

What I don't understand is why people drive in the wrong lane.
Why I don't understand is why people sometimes drive (and park) across two lanes at once! My dad used to say "Pick a lane, any lane, but just ONE!" :lol:
Renkotsu

Post by Renkotsu »

I will never understand why people use letters in place of actual words. for example 'hw r u?' or 'hru'. it always gets me when non-native english speakers say that's the reason why they do that......I would think that would be the precise reason why you SHOULD be spelling words out? anyway that's just one of my pet peeves and I really want to smack people that do that when they're messaging me. I don't understand alot of things though lol
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

I will never understand why there's a "no diving" warning next to the 4" deep section of the swimming pool at the Trump Tower.

Lawyers...gack.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

kukailimoku wrote:I will never understand why there's a "no diving" warning next to the 4" deep section of the swimming pool at the Trump Tower...
:shock: There exists a swimming pool with a four inch deep section? Is that for cats? :?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Toddlers ... our local swimming pool has a circular area to one side at one end that starts with a dry step and works its way gradually deeper till you meet the rectangular swimming pool at about one metre deep. So yeah, 1" deep, 4" deep, 12" deep. It's all there.

But the "No Diving" notice isn't until you reach the one metre point.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart