Things I will never understand.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
leonidas444

Post by leonidas444 »

:hmm:

I'll never understand why people watch so much TV (with tons of commercials!), when they could read (and listen) books.
A movie can be seen also in internet or cinema.

I have a television at home, and most of the time, it is watching me while I'm reading a book. ;) :clap:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i dont own a tv. i watch what i want online, and that is very little (mostly news). but i have stopped telling people in real life that i dont have a tv because im afraid they take me for an elitist hipster queen (which i am but try to hide) :lol:
Carolin
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

leonidas444 wrote: :hmm:

I'll never understand why people watch so much TV (with tons of commercials!), when they could read (and listen) books.
A movie can be seen also in internet or cinema.

I have a television at home, and most of the time, it is watching me while I'm reading a book. ;) :clap:
Because reading a book and watching TV are completely different things? I've been watching the BBC's Planet Earth 2 recently, and I'm quite sure no book could be interesting in the same way.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
linny

Post by linny »

I will never understand why the components of making a handmade blanket, quilted or crocheted, is SO MUCH more expensive than purchasing one already made. [sigh] I like to make blankets but the cost of the yarn and especially material is beginning to make these items unrealistic. I wonder if these will become lost arts? :(
Jan_M

Post by Jan_M »

linny wrote:I will never understand why the components of making a handmade blanket, quilted or crocheted, is SO MUCH more expensive than purchasing one already made. [sigh] I like to make blankets but the cost of the yarn and especially material is beginning to make these items unrealistic. I wonder if these will become lost arts? :(
Not in my house, linny! I'm an avid crocheter and have more afghans in my house than I can give away!

I buy inexpensive acrylic yarn to crochet with, a few skeins at a time. If I try a new pattern and don't like it, I can "frog" it and reuse the yarn in a scrap project or just toss it. And recipients of gift afghans appreciate acrylic yarn because they can machine-wash and -dry the afghans.
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

timberwolfmage wrote: November 14th, 2006, 3:40 pm I will never understand why Iceland is green, and Greenland is covered in ice.
‘Greenland’ was a marketing trick done by Eric the Red to get people to settle there. But as for the ice part in Iceland, that is already obvious. :D
And to stay on topic, I will never understand the auto-correct function on technological devices. What is the purpose? The dumbing down of human intelligence to prepare us for a robot takeover(forgive my rant)? 😡 :D
Last edited by Bookworm360 on September 6th, 2020, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

timberwolfmage wrote: November 15th, 2006, 3:58 pm
gypsygirl wrote:I don't understand... Mask's joke. :lol:
There's a theater tradition that says Shakespeare's play Macbeth is cursed, and that you will bring down disaster on yourself (or your production of the show) if you say its name, specifically within a theatrical setting.

MACbeth, MACdonalds. *grins*
Then what do you do when you are performing it? :hmm:
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Bookworm360 wrote: August 26th, 2020, 1:38 pm
There's a theater tradition that says Shakespeare's play Macbeth is cursed, and that you will bring down disaster on yourself (or your production of the show) if you say its name, specifically within a theatrical setting.

If you say "Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Puck will make amends!", you should be safe. :wink:
(reference for the confused: https://youtu.be/h--HR7PWfp0?t=71)
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

From my limited knowledge as a former community theater participant, I believe it was something like if you are talking about the character of Macbeth, it is ok, but if you say the name of the play it is not. I could be completely wrong though.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: August 27th, 2020, 10:51 am

From my limited knowledge as a former community theater participant, I believe it was something like if you are talking about the character of Macbeth, it is ok, but if you say the name of the play it is not. I could be completely wrong though.
I've read that it's only "ok" if you say 'Macbeth' when talking about Shakespeare's play, so the character or the play's name would both be fine. Otherwise it's referred to as the "m word" :lol: tbh it's just keeping with tradition, like the phrase "break a leg." I do theatre, and I only found about the whole Macbeth thing through a tiktok video that my friend sent me, so it's not all that common now, at least where I peform :lol:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
lymiewithpurpose

JayKitty76 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 4:45 pm

I've read that it's only "ok" if you say 'Macbeth' when talking about Shakespeare's play, so the character or the play's name would both be fine. Otherwise it's referred to as the "m word" :lol: tbh it's just keeping with tradition, like the phrase "break a leg." I do theatre, and I only found about the whole Macbeth thing through a tiktok video that my friend sent me, so it's not all that common now, at least where I peform :lol:
I'm sure you know more than I do. It was years ago that I did theater.
Campbell
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: August 29th, 2020, 5:13 pm

I wasn't trying to say that I knew more, apologies if it came across that way. just adding on to what you'd already (correctly) said :wink: . I didn't know you did theatre, that's really cool! it's really a passion of mine.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
lymiewithpurpose

JayKitty76 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 5:34 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: August 29th, 2020, 5:13 pm

I wasn't trying to say that I knew more, apologies if it came across that way. just adding on to what you'd already (correctly) said :wink: . I didn't know you did theatre, that's really cool! it's really a passion of mine.
No, I get that you weren't trying to say that. I just meant that for anybody reading this, yours is the answer to trust because you probably know more about this. Yes, I did it for a bit before I decided it wasn't for me. It's cool that you do it though!
Campbell
Bookerina

Post by Bookerina »

...People who don't respect other people's opinions. I like to to speak to people who have different views than me, but way too often it ends in a "Yes, but well, I'm so right and you're so wrong" situation. I like to think that everyone has the right to his opinion and it is weird to take others credibility I think. I don't mean it in a "rant" way, but it is just something that came to my mind when I saw this thread :wink: .
andybeddy

Post by andybeddy »

what 99% of the items are that always seem to be trending on twitter and why there isn't a "for Dummies" guide to the slang that goes around on there (EG snowdrop, woke, BLM etc, things that never seem to crop up in real life conversations)