Things I will never understand.

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

I will never understand an historian who can't pronounce the word "ancient"! He says ainkshunt! I can't stand it!
-Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

I will never understand how people can enjoy listening to rap music. And why it's even called music anyway
-Bria

Dramatic Readings of Bible passages

Some reason I decided to try to write fiction. And it sucked me far away from LibriVox into the world of writing, editing and blogging.
Click here to read about it.
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

I will never understand America's craze over football. I mean, I get how it could be exciting to watch a football game, but I can't in the least understand the extent to which it's taken (the millions of dollars spent on the Superbowl, the celebrity of the players, the fans who drive across the country to see them play). I mean, why would anyone spend time watching football when they could be making LibriVox recordings? :lol:
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Hobbit wrote:I will never understand America's craze over football. I mean, I get how it could be exciting to watch a football game, but I can't in the least understand the extent to which it's taken (the millions of dollars spent on the Superbowl, the celebrity of the players, the fans who drive across the country to see them play). I mean, why would anyone spend time watching football when they could be making LibriVox recordings? :lol:
Ditto
-Bria

Dramatic Readings of Bible passages

Some reason I decided to try to write fiction. And it sucked me far away from LibriVox into the world of writing, editing and blogging.
Click here to read about it.
Arnieh

Post by Arnieh »

I have never quite understood why the names of various Carthaginian leaders, as reported by the ancient authors, end with 'bal'. i.e. Hannibal, Hasdrubal, Marhabal, etc. But I think it may relate to the Carthaginian worship of the god Baʿal.

In the film "World War Z", I could never understand why/how the plane they are on, just happens to crash within walking distance of a WHO facility.

Football, soccer, basketball. If you speed up the action, all you will see is people running back and forth. :)
GardenerOfStars

Post by GardenerOfStars »

I'll never understand why my dear fellow Americans keep insisting that I "really don't have an accent" and then don't understand a word of what I'm saying :P
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. (Mark Twain)
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Hobbit wrote:I will never understand America's craze over football. I mean, I get how it could be exciting to watch a football game, but I can't in the least understand the extent to which it's taken (the millions of dollars spent on the Superbowl, the celebrity of the players, the fans who drive across the country to see them play). I mean, why would anyone spend time watching football when they could be making LibriVox recordings? :lol:
I will never understand why it's even called football- the 'ball' doesn't even resemble a ball, it looks like an elbow, and use of the elbows seem more prominent than kicking it with the feet. (Hence I've called it elbow-ball.) Then, the truer game of football is called soccer, which sounds more like a boxing reference.
Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 »

I will never understand why there hasn't been a post on this thread in a year. :wink:
Tauriel

Post by Tauriel »

I will never understand America's craze over football. I mean, I get how it could be exciting to watch a football game, but I can't in the least understand the extent to which it's taken (the millions of dollars spent on the Superbowl, the celebrity of the players, the fans who drive across the country to see them play). I mean, why would anyone spend time watching football when they could be making LibriVox recordings? :lol:
I completely agree with that! This is the second year in a row that I have decided that I shall NOT watch ANY of the Super Bowl. Which mean's I'm isolated in another room on the computer while my family watches the game…Oh, well. :wink:

I will never understand why all my friends on Facebook feel the need to "like" every single thing I do…

And I will never understand the students in my college class who were trying to figure out how to get out of reading the ONE book we have to read. One book! That's it! And they don't want to read it! And they're all supposed to be "adults"! *gasps of horror and outrage and anger* And I still can't believe we only get to read that one book…besides the fact that I heard from my friend that it's not very good, anyway. So they might as well have added some better ones for us to read as well, if we have to read that one. I mean, seriously, I've been home-schooled since first grade, and we read around 42 books a year for school! And they call college "higher education."

OK, I'll stop my raging tirade now. :wink:
~Vanessa Cooley (Tauriel)
_________
"She walks in starlight in another world..."
~Kili, The Desolation of Smaug
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I get the Super Bowl. What I will never understand is the obsession with Super Bowl Ads. "Sneak preview of all the new Super Bowl ads!" "Rate this year's Super Bowl ads!" "Super Bowl ads ranked best to worst!"

Seriously. WHO CARES?
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Tauriel

Post by Tauriel »

Well, as crazy as it sounds, some people just watch the Super Bowl for the ads. When our old church had a Super Bowl party, and people found out that they wouldn't be showing any commercials, a whole bunch of people left to watch the game (or, the ads, I suppose, actually) at home.
~Vanessa Cooley (Tauriel)
_________
"She walks in starlight in another world..."
~Kili, The Desolation of Smaug
Paige24601

Post by Paige24601 »

I don't understand why people eat small fish in a can. a.k.a. sardines...
haimerej

Post by haimerej »

I will never understand geek culture's obsession with Benedict Cumberbatch.
I've been ionized, but I'm okay now - Buckaroo Banzai
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

I will never understand why my friends never love musical and classic.

(These days, in my friends in school - never loves musical - except me! :P)
~Jessie

Epic Music composer studying Film and Media Arts, BA :D
I love lights, camera, colors, and story!
Here are some tunes I made.

Staying in the U.S. starting Fall 2021.
kukailimoku

Post by kukailimoku »

I will never understand how we can have advanced technology to great heights and still can't stop the little dribble of shaving cream that comes out after you stop pressing the button.

Oh wait...that makes the can empty faster...it's about profit.

Duh.

Well then I can't understand why toothpaste comes in a tube that you can't possibly empty.

Oh wait...
Why yes there IS a blog about choral singing. Thanks for asking.
http://www.thewindwardchoralsociety.org/news/