Words I fail at EVERY BLOODY time...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert » August 8th, 2012, 8:22 am

I know this is because of my non-english tongue: I really have a hard time pronouncing words that end with -sts, like bursts, tests etc..... the final -s always seems to be missing :(
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » August 9th, 2012, 1:07 am

JohanLiebert wrote:ha, me too. I always pronounce three as 'free'. :lol: and through as 'froo' :lol:
And thanks as fenks? :mrgreen:
JohanLiebert wrote:I know this is because of my non-english tongue: I really have a hard time pronouncing words that end with -sts, like bursts, tests etc..... the final -s always seems to be missing :(
This reminds me of the german "jetzt" ...a t-s-t sound. I'm still not sure if I'm pronouncing it right :hmm:

JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert » August 9th, 2012, 2:07 am

Rapunzelina wrote:And thanks as fenks? :mrgreen:
quite so :)
I'm practising to set the pronunciation right though, so you'll hear fenks at a minimum :D
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!

NoDecaf

Post by NoDecaf » August 11th, 2012, 5:21 am

For me: "sleep", "slept", "sleeping". These words too often get hissed or ssshhhh-ed.

On the other hand, I listened to a professional audiobook recently where the narrator did the same thing. I felt vindicated.

Forhad

Post by Forhad » August 12th, 2012, 8:31 am

And i usually face problem with the word exaggeration. :( Every-time i become confused with the mixing of x and g.

Guero

Post by Guero » August 13th, 2012, 7:46 am

OK...for some reason I'm not having a problem with the word "soldier". I keep pronouncing it as "sholdier". :shock:
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson

neckertb

Post by neckertb » August 14th, 2012, 12:21 am

Rapunzelina wrote:I somehow get a problem with the word "information".... You can imagine how many takes I have for every intro!
"for more ifformation..." "for more infomation ..." "for more imfonation..." and it goes on and on :lol: :lol:
Have you considered just getting it right once and pasting it into all your recordings?

My problem is with basically every English word...
Then in French all the "dont on n'a" always seem to come out wrong somehow...
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus

Britannia

Post by Britannia » August 14th, 2012, 8:44 am

JohanLiebert wrote:I know this is because of my non-english tongue: I really have a hard time pronouncing words that end with -sts, like bursts, tests etc..... the final -s always seems to be missing :(
I have the exact same problem ! These -sts words are quite tricky

I have also experienced troubles lately with the name "Nathaniel Hawthorne".
Sarah

Moromis

Post by Moromis » August 17th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Everything I've done thus far in my short LibriVox reading career has had long strings of words that all start with sh and/or s. Needless to say, I have to re-record a few times. And in general, I stumble quite often, and I feel like I spend more time editing than I do reading. :D
Good on ya!

"If no one writes a book about you, you're doing it wrong."
(Doing what wrong?)
"Life."

J_N

Post by J_N » August 18th, 2012, 1:17 am

Moromis wrote:And in general, I stumble quite often, and I feel like I spend more time editing than I do reading. :D
that's normal... very normal... you fit right in :mrgreen:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!

Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 » August 25th, 2012, 3:46 am

Polish is full of consonant clusters which take an effort to pronounce clearly. As I often slur words these combinations usually require some attention from me to say correctly.
One example from a story I recorded yesterday is "podzwrotnikowy" ("subtropical").

As for English words, I agree that "peculiarly" and "particularly" can be tricky. I also tend to have problem with reading words like "literary". I usually try to sidestep the problematic part by reading the r's in what I perceive to be a Scottish way, because the "Scottish" "r" is very similar to the Polish one :mrgreen:

Also, contemporary (another difficult word to pronounce, by the way :mrgreen: ) Polish doesn't distinguish between long and short vowels, so any fragment in which these two varieties of wovels are to be pronounced closely following each other, are bound to be problematic to me :roll:
Come help us record The Deluge THE DELUGE IS BACK!
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS

petecamberwick

Post by petecamberwick » August 31st, 2012, 12:44 pm

Hi chaps. Just looking at the forums and this came to my notice. i'm new to librivox so i'm sure I will have many word troubles. I don't tend to struggle with words until i make a mistake and then consciously try not to do it again. Then I get a complex about it and keep doing it. I was reading a book for my wife and I had to keep saying "invisibility". I did ok the first couple of times then i said "imvimbim" or something like that, then it kept happening. lol I've just done my first librivox reading and hoping to do more so there may be other word issues to come. :-) Great fun though.

carolb

Post by carolb » September 1st, 2012, 10:37 am

Hi Pete,

Glad to know that you're like the rest of us! Image

You're sure to like The Bloopers Thread. I've directed you to the first page, where you'll find my all time favourite - 8th one down 'Mrs Boehm'. I wonder if the reader had Peter Sellers in mind?!

Carol

petecamberwick

Post by petecamberwick » September 1st, 2012, 6:24 pm

Hi Carol. Yes indeed that link made me chuckle. I do hope the lady with the "bug" cleaned the mic afterwards. lol. Well I did indeed have lots of bloopers, but unfoartunately I do my recording on a tape bassed system so it's more practical and much easier to go back over the mistakes so I don't keep them. Probably just as well, as I would have had to bleep myself quite heavily. Not to mention that I was reading "Dick Wittington" and on a couple of occasions I fear I used his name in a slightly different context! Lol, maybe i'll leave a separate recorder running next time. Thanks for the link. Pete

Jessi

Post by Jessi » September 2nd, 2012, 10:16 am

I can't say physician, it always turns out weird no matter how often I practise it beforehand :roll: