How to make a Project Gutenberg eBook

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

That's a pretty great setup! Way out of my area of expertise, but I like it!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

LikeManyWaters wrote: May 9th, 2019, 9:52 am I meant to say THANKS before now, oops! :D

My husband says he will help me set up something like this DIY book scanner. Thought it might be nice to share... so if you have some scrap plexiglass... it doesn’t open the book all the way, so less spine stress.
April - did you ever get this set up? I just got a hard copy book, whose spine hardly feels used, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to photo the pages to upload to Archive without hurting it. :?

Oh, and for a different project - if anyone wants to take my 7000-word Word/OpenOffice document and convert it to clean html, I'd appreciate it! I've tried some of the online converters, and they make really messy html. :roll:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:13 pm
Oh, and for a different project - if anyone wants to take my 7000-word Word/OpenOffice document and convert it to clean html, I'd appreciate it! I've tried some of the online converters, and they make really messy html. :roll:
I'll give it a try. I'd like to see if I know how this can be easily done. I'll pm my e-mail address.

I won't be offended if you say you would prefer someone who knows what he is doing!
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

LOL no, I wish I did, but never found time. ! :)
LikeManyWaters wrote: May 9th, 2019, 9:52 am I meant to say THANKS before now, oops! :D

My husband says he will help me set up something like this DIY book scanner. Thought it might be nice to share... so if you have some scrap plexiglass... it doesn’t open the book all the way, so less spine stress.
April - did you ever get this set up? I just got a hard copy book, whose spine hardly feels used, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to photo the pages to upload to Archive without hurting it. :?

April
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

KevinS wrote: December 19th, 2022, 8:13 pm
I'll give it a try. I'd like to see if I know how this can be easily done. I'll pm my e-mail address.

I won't be offended if you say you would prefer someone who knows what he is doing!
Hey, if you're willing to take a crack at it, go for it! Email being sent. 8-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

What I have learned over the past few days:

(1) Find a way to make clean html. The online converters do a very bad job, even on "plain text" kinds of files. (I grabbed a simple work off PG, similar to the structure of the work I was converting, and changed over its html to my own in WordPad. It wasn't a cake walk, even knowing some html. CSS is/are my nemesis.)

(2) Just because you have the html file practically perfect doesn't mean you can neglect the plain text version. :lol:

(3) This page: https://upload.pglaf.org/ under "Required formats and checks" has a list of the html and txt checks you should do on your files. They don't catch everything, but you should correct the errors they find.

(4) The epub checker will give you errors you don't understand or even need to deal with (such as the lack of the PG header/footer). I guess there must be some errors that you DO have to deal with, which is why they recommend running your file through it.

(5) Their instructions and tips haven't been updated in a while. :P

Even a 7000-word work was... well, a lot of work!