You know you're addicted to LV when...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

You know you are addicted (or that LibriVox has got its claws into you), when you look through the audio books in the book-store and after searching through a lot of strange titles say to yourself: 'I can find better books to listen to in the LibriVox Catalogue'.

Lars :)
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

Rowland wrote:You know you are addicted (or that LibriVox has got its claws into you), when you look through the audio books in the book-store and after searching through a lot of strange titles say to yourself: 'I can find better books to listen to in the LibriVox Catalogue'.

Lars :)
LibriVox must have had its hooks in me for a while, because, ever since I found out about it, I've had that thought about most books I see in audiobook form. :twisted:

Of course, my selection has traditionally been much more limited by the fact that I couldn't afford to pay for audiobooks, so I had to go by what was at the local library. But now that libraries are catching up with the internet, I can download audiobooks via the library computers to my MP3 player. That's a nice feature, but I still like to try LV first for any book plausibly in the public domain. :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

...when you wake up in the morning anxious to check to see if those last one or two sections in 4 different projects you're BC'ing or MC'ing or PL'ing have come in overnight, so that you can FINALLY get the projects off your plate and in the catalog.

Only to find that no, no such luck. :cry:

*sigh*
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon »

...when your phone message is "For more information, or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org"

...when your ringtone is "public domain. public domain. public domain..."
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

As I said elsewhere :
You know you're addicted to LV when you're willing to pay money to hear the books, even though you could just get them for free.
So little space, so much to say.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

You know you are addicted when:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSLqZbSrnIQ

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

Starlite wrote:You know you are addicted when:

LOL that was great! :D
Barry
My Recordings
Darn stuff! I have books to read!
anna

Post by anna »

Starlite wrote:You know you are addicted when:

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

... you bite into an innocuous piece of toast and peanut butter, and you suddenly realise with utter horror that one of your front teeth has simply snapped off? :shock:

You feel deep, ghastly gloom at the huge prospective dentist's bill. You can't smile. You can't laugh. Yes, that's bad - very, very bad. :cry:

But worst of all: you can't say F or V without air escaping through the gap and you can SEE the fricatives on the wave form.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
catchpenny

Post by catchpenny »

RuthieG wrote:... you bite into an innocuous piece of toast and peanut butter, and you suddenly realise with utter horror that one of your front teeth has simply snapped off? :shock:

You feel deep, ghastly gloom at the huge prospective dentist's bill. You can't smile. You can't laugh. Yes, that's bad - very, very bad. :cry:

But worst of all: you can't say F or V without air escaping through the gap and you can SEE the fricatives on the wave form.

Ruth
Ruth, I seriously hope it wasn't a live tooth. Ow, that would be painful. Incidentally, I thought Briton had free health care. (Now, if that is any thing like free dogs, that ain't cheap.) Is dental care not covered?
Anyone can read accurately. [i]I[/i] read with great expression.
Jc

Post by Jc »

If UK healthcare is anything like here, it's probably only covered for kids. (here it's for kids up to 10 or 12 yrs old)
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

catchpenny wrote:Is dental care not covered?
Regrettably not. Even if you can find that rare beast, a National Health Service dentist, there are fees to pay (except for under 18s, the elderly, the pregnant and anyone on benefits, which seems to be at least 50% of the population, but not me. :roll: ). And NHS dentistry provides the basics - not the replacement of my quite inimitable smile. :lol: I shall learn the financial damage today.
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
pdw

Post by pdw »

You know your addicted to Librivox when you scour the catalog to find a book you just read a review of. (Arthur O. Friel's The Pathless Trail)

And you've done this far quite a few books, too!

(Ruthie, sorry about your tooth.)
markpenfold

Post by markpenfold »

....when you have no problem skipping meals for days so you can record just...one...more...section.

....when your voicemail message says, "I can't come to the phone right now...or EVER for that matter...I'm recording YET ANOTHER SECTION...just don't even bother!!!! (beeep).

....when you're at work, and you wonder ALL DAY LONG whether that section you THOUGHT you corrected might still have a mistake, and then you phone your manager and tell him that you left the coffee pot on at home by accident when in fact you did no such thing, you lying son of a (beeep)!
m@rk p&nfold
lincoln, ne, usa
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

......when you go away on vacation and bring your recording equipment.... just in case you get some quiet time! ( I just packed my Zoom H2)

Heading 'up north' to Thunder Bay on Friday for 2 weeks. Far away from 'civilization' lol.

Esther :D :9:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw