You know you're addicted to LV when...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

smoke free for 40 days, one day at a time
new quitting method, every time you feel the urge, record a chapter!
Jc

Post by Jc »

... when you hallucinate having listened to the book when you've actually read it. And when it gets serious, you'd swear you remember a particular reader / voice reading it.

( I'd swear I've listened to "the time machine", then I see the thread in Readers Wanted... :shock: )
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Jc wrote:... when you hallucinate having listened to the book when you've actually read it. And when it gets serious, you'd swear you remember a particular reader / voice reading it.

( I'd swear I've listened to "the time machine", then I see the thread in Readers Wanted... :shock: )
:lol: That happens with me also. I quess I am also addicted.
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

... when you have a bad cold and your first thought is not: "I can't go to work and earn money. " and not: "I can't go to that invitation I was looking forward to for weeks." but "Oh, I will not be able to record for days!"

... when you go to the next room to fetch your cigarettes but have a short look to the forum instead and completely forget about your cigarettes.

... when this computer in the other room is on most of the day so you can have a quick look to the forum every now and then.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

...when you're listening to a commercially-produced audio book and start searching Project Guenberg for the text so you can proof against it...and then realize that it's still under copyright.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Oh Paul I can totally relate! I listened to an excerpt of a commercial audio book and was comparing the reader to our readers. She really was NOT that good!! I much preferred many of OUR readers! :D

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Starlite wrote:Oh Paul I can totally relate! I listened to an excerpt of a commercial audio book and was comparing the reader to our readers. She really was NOT that good!! I much preferred many of OUR readers! :D

Esther
The best reader I have ever heard (and I've listened to a LOT of readers since starting to lose my vision) is George Guidall-Shapiro (better known as just George Guidall...a professional reader, and one of the most prolific professional readers around). I have heard many readers who are very close to him...ano more than half of those are from LV! And I, too, have heard professional readers who I will not purchase another book read by them, regardless of how badly I want to listen to it. WHO SAYS YOU HVE TO BE A PROFESSIONAL READER TO READ PROFESSIONAL QUALITY WORK????? :evil: Lemme at 'em, lemme at 'em, I'll larn 'em a thing er three!!!
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

... when you go to the next room to fetch your cigarettes but have a short look to the forum instead and completely forget about your cigarettes.
ha!
musicmaiden

Post by musicmaiden »

Bigbuckhunter wrote:I know this is a old thread, but,

You know your addicted to Librivox when,

Your 6 year old brother comes up to your sister while she's PL'ing, and says, "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org" (or, maybe my brother's addicted)
. . . when your brother's first post says that you're addicted to LibriVox. And when on his first post he knows what 'PL' means.

. . . when you're posting on the basement computer, and you notice your brother is logged in on the upstairs computer.

. . . when there are 4 kids listening to 4 different LV books in 1 house.
www.musicmaiden.wordpress.com
Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal »

Musicmaiden/Buckhunter - thats kul, wonderful little family addiction your cultivating there :) :P
Have you always wanted to act? Well Now you Can!! My Projects
BrianaBird

Post by BrianaBird »

I wish that kind of book bonding happened in my house - all my little brother and sister care about is hunting, fishing, and trucks. -_-;

...when you have dreams of recording, and suddenly other LV voices come in and scream, "YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT!!!!"

Seriously, I woke up sweating at 4 this morning. :shock:
"I'm pretty illiterate, but I like to read."
-Holden Caufield in [u]The Catcher in the Rye[/u] by J. D. Salinger
[url]http://brianabird.blogspot.com[/url]
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

that's a real nightmare ... don't worry no one will ever say that to you in real life... !
musicmaiden

Post by musicmaiden »

Briana, my brother is actually very similar to yours: hunting, fishing . . . and LibriVox!
www.musicmaiden.wordpress.com
genecode

Post by genecode »

I guess I am addicted to Lv....
I feel *guilty*when I had time and access to the Internet but don't check on this forum for more than two days... :? :?
Whoops, I know I am a scatterbrain...but there is so much to do and so little time to do.
[url=http://www.havivi.net]Vivian Chan[img]http://havivi.net/wp-content/plugins/logopic/havivilogo-mini.gif[/img][/url]
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

genecode wrote:I guess I am addicted to Lv....
I feel *guilty*when I had time and access to the Internet but don't check on this forum for more than two days... :? :?
No, I'm sorry Vivian. You are not jet addicted.
You wouldn't feel guilty. You would check. :wink:

But you are on the best way.