Knitting! (and other needle arts...)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Here you go, I posted my finished blocks on Imgur
https://imgur.com/gallery/JpGeZef
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Looks super cool! :thumbs: That piece with cats is definitely my favourite! :D The finished piece will be a masterpiece, something one can scrutinize for hours, with all those small details and different prints. Great work! :clap:
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
ShadowRain

Post by ShadowRain »

Hi everyone!

I just got myself a knitting machine and I was curious if anyone had any pointers or book recommendations to share :) .
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Test Knitters Wanted!!!

I've recently designed a quick little knitting pattern for a butterfly. It uses scrap yarn (sock or sport weight) and straight needles. The butterfly will come out to around 2 to 4 inches from wingtip to wingtip, depending on your gauge. It's flat and lacy and good for sewing or pinning onto anything you want to dress up with a butterfly.

You'll need to know:
knit
purl
knit 2 together
yarn over

Does anyone want to test this pattern for me and give me some feedback as to readability, accuracy, ease of following the pattern, and so forth?
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

I’d be willing to give it a go! Might take a little while because I can’t get very far without my knuckles hurting but it sounds fun!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 10th, 2019, 9:06 am I’d be willing to give it a go! Might take a little while because I can’t get very far without my knuckles hurting but it sounds fun!
It takes me about 15-20 minutes to make one. I think I knit at a slightly above average speed, so maybe that gives you a bit of an idea. (On the other hand, I now have the pattern memorized. It'll take longer while trying to read/learn it.)

When I get home, I will put the pattern online and send you a link. Actually, I'll probably just put it here in the thread, because I don't see any reason to restrict it. I won't be selling the pattern, as I designed it to be freely distributed at my church.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 10th, 2019, 9:06 am I’d be willing to give it a go! Might take a little while because I can’t get very far without my knuckles hurting but it sounds fun!
Ok, here is the pattern. Sorry it took me a couple of days to actually remember about uploading this. Please let me know (whenever you can; no rush at all) how it goes for you. General things like:
  • how easy or difficult was it to follow the pattern?
  • were there abbreviations you didn't understand? If so, what?
  • were the given stitch counts accurate?
  • any specific problems that arose
  • any suggestions you may have to make the instructions more clear
  • etc
I'd love to see a picture of your work, too! Maybe through an email attachment, if you don't mind. I can PM you my email.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

mightyfelix wrote: March 12th, 2019, 12:50 am
Ok, here is the pattern. Sorry it took me a couple of days to actually remember about uploading this. Please let me know (whenever you can; no rush at all) how it goes for you. General things like:
  • how easy or difficult was it to follow the pattern?
  • were there abbreviations you didn't understand? If so, what?
  • were the given stitch counts accurate?
  • any specific problems that arose
  • any suggestions you may have to make the instructions more clear
  • etc
I'd love to see a picture of your work, too! Maybe through an email attachment, if you don't mind. I can PM you my email.
Sounds good! I will get on it when I can (and when I actually remember :lol:). Looks like fun!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Pinkigloo

Post by Pinkigloo »

Just found this off topic, by my post count you will see that I am new to LibriVox. I love yarn!!!! I have been crocheting since grade 1 and as an adult have also picked up knitting and needle tatting. Saw this thread and had to introduce myself, so hello! There are so many posts to read in this thread, it may take we a while :wink:
Kozmique

Post by Kozmique »

Does anyone else in here embroider, or is it all knitters? One of my closest friends is a dedicated yarnie, who spins and dyes her own wool and can tell you the name of the sheep it came from, but I've never picked up the knack. But I'm great at embroidery! :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There's a big thread on cross stitch viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15742&hilit=cross+stitch
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've never tried embroidery, but I don't think I'd enjoy it. I didn't care for cross stitch much. I have just recently started bobbin lace, and I'm loving it! Such a cool art form, and really not that complicated when you break it down into individual stitches.
Kozmique

Post by Kozmique »

I don't enjoy cross stitch. I prefer freeform embroidery, which is like painting with thread.
Pinkigloo

Post by Pinkigloo »

Hey Kozmique!

I do embroidery, as well as a good number of other yarn/thread related making. I feel that cross-stitch (I also do) and embroidery are very different though
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

About three months ago, I started going to a class on bobbin lace making. It's so wonderful!

https://youtu.be/ZdLTFOSEp3Q