Knitting! (and other needle arts...)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
linny

Post by linny »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: October 14th, 2020, 8:05 pm The 1000 unique beanies challenge: https://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au/story/6960526/knitting-nelda-makes-1000-beanies-for-operation-christmas-child/?cs=13425

Chris

P.S. While on oxygen too, by the looks of it.
Very cool! I couldn't agree more with the statement "It's something to do with your hands while you're watching TV. I always feel it's a waste of time just sitting and watching TV. I like to be doing something at the same time."
linny

Post by linny »

mightyfelix wrote: October 14th, 2020, 7:23 pm
StarFire wrote: October 14th, 2020, 5:06 pm Oh I had completely forgotten about this thread! Since I was last on here I've picked up crocheting! I usually make small stuffed animals (amigurumi's) but am currently working on a shawl for my grandmother
Stuffed animals are my favorite things to make as baby gifts. I'm nearly finished with this one: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-humpback-whale
My animals always turn out looking as if they were raised in a nuclear cleanup site. I've gotten older and lazy enough that I have my favorite hook sizes and whatever size it turns out is just fine by me. That doesn't work well for detail work. :lol:
StarFire

Post by StarFire »

My animals always turn out looking as if they were raised in a nuclear cleanup site. I've gotten older and lazy enough that I have my favorite hook sizes and whatever size it turns out is just fine by me. That doesn't work well for detail work. :lol:
haha yeah my first couple were not very pretty XD I usually work worsted weight with a very small hook (3.25 or 3.75 are my go-to for amigurumis) but I've done a few with chunky/two strands before and it's super fun to do! They come out much bigger but it's much easier to work cause you don't have to have your nose quite so close to see the stitches :lol:
--Winter

"I know nothing with any certainty,
but the sight of the stars makes me dream"
- Van Goph
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Wow. I am so impressed! I have gone full stop into charity knitting and then quit abruptly, although I have friends who only knit for charities.

I've been doing scarve shawls, beanies, (I just did a reversible one that was fun,) and I'm working on a coat sweater for my grandson. I suppose it's almost mitten time.
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
Bookerina

Post by Bookerina »

That's so cool! I wished I was enough skilled to be able to knit for other people. I did a few beanies and scarfs, but nothing I'd like to wear sooo... :roll: . But even if the end result doesn't match my expectations I still love the process, so relaxing!
How did you guys learned to knit? Have you got some tutorials or books to share?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I like to say I learnt the traditional way; from my grandmother :D
in a time when youtube and youtube tutorial were non existent
and I had a few old books, borrowed from my mom :mrgreen:
KimyardaRichelle

Post by KimyardaRichelle »

Books and knitting in the same Forum only one way to describe the feeling!!! :9: Now that I have calmed down. lol My name is Kimyarda. I am a newbie to recording (1mth) and knitting somewhat (2yrs) I am always grateful for advice in both. I look forward to chatting it up with you all! Happy recording, reading, and knitting!
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Hello, long-running knitting-and-other-fibercrafts thread! I have found you at last.

I thought I'd show off the project currently keeping my fingers busy while listening through my recordings, waiting for the declicker plugin to run, etc.

These are going to be thigh-high rainbow stockings which I intend to wear while skating around with my roller derby league at various Pride 2023 celebrations, which means there will have to be a LOT of knitting in May. Got about five full rows across both of 'em (toe-up two-at-a-time magic-loop method) during today's chapter.

(Full size pic on Imgbox)

I've been knitting thigh-high socks for a while now - my first pair was in the colors of the home team I'd just been drafted to in 2012. But in all that time I hadn't done any in rainbow stripes yet, so, it's about time!

When these are done, I'll probably go back to nibbling away at the large shuttle-tatted skull that's patiently waiting for me to finish it. It's soooooo close but it does not have a deadline, so it had to take a back-seat to these suckers.

What all have y'all been working on in the two-anna-half years since this thread was last active?
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

WOW, these are SOOOO cool... 8-)
I had absolutely no idea one could knit both together, or start from the toe up! It would be lovely if you could post close-ups sometime. :mrgreen:

I have never graduated to knitting socks... I'm afraid my only attempt was back in fifth grade and the result was two VERY different socks... :shock: (Come to think of it, perhaps it was high time I made another attempt after all these years! :lol:)

Right now I'm considering how to repair the sleeves of a much loved sweater I'm upcycling. Also, I'm crocheting very simple panels to add to a pair of jeans that require upsizing.

In the last couple years I used up odds and ends to make a poncho-tunic. That worked well. I also knitted a hat, which definitely didn't.

Thank you for your inspiring post!
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Dulcamara wrote: April 30th, 2023, 10:41 am I had absolutely no idea one could knit both together, or start from the toe up! It would be lovely if you could post close-ups sometime. :mrgreen:
My flipphone camera doesn't do good close-ups, I'm afraid, but I'll try! Until I get around to attempting that, here's the page I keep coming back to, to remind me how to begin: https://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html ("Magic Cast-on for Toe-up Socks")

Doing the thigh-highs two at a time helps me get the increases in the calf and thigh the same on both - otherwise I'd have to take a bunch of notes on the one sock to replicate it later, and I'd probably just screw it up.
I have never graduated to knitting socks... I'm afraid my only attempt was back in fifth grade and the result was two VERY different socks... :shock: (Come to think of it, perhaps it was high time I made another attempt after all these years! :lol:)
You should totally do it! I believe in you!
Right now I'm considering how to repair the sleeves of a much loved sweater I'm upcycling. Also, I'm crocheting very simple panels to add to a pair of jeans that require upsizing.

In the last couple years I used up odds and ends to make a poncho-tunic. That worked well. I also knitted a hat, which definitely didn't.
I would love to hear more about the upcycling and the jeans upsizing. I wonder if your crochet panel technique would also come in handy in extending the life of jeans that have started to split at the thigh seams?

I've got my eye on the Habitation Throw pattern from Ravelry for using up fingering-weight scraps - I started a collection of those with the leftovers from making a shawl last year, but I want to get a bit more color variety in the scraps stash before I start in on the pattern. (And finish these socks, of course!)
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Thanks so much for the link and the moral support! The instructions seem friendly. :lol: Perhaps I'll gather courage and give it a try once my current projects are finished.

The panels I'm making for the jeans are long, narrow strips about 1.5 inches wide. The idea is to insert them along the outer seam up to ten centimetres below the waistline. In my mind it already looks wonderful, isn't imagination a great thing?

I checked the Ravelry pattern, it'll be a lovely throw. The combination of garter and eyelet looks really pretty!
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.