Knitting! (and other needle arts...)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

My wife just finished this hat for our granddaughter yesterday. :9:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

:clap: Absolutely adorable!
Both the hat and the baby! Especially the baby :D
smijen

Post by smijen »

So cute! :9:
Hats for babies are the best. They work up so fast and there are so many cute patterns. <sigh> My big girl just wants store-boughtten normalness these days.

Is Jennifer on Ravelry? Tell her to friend me (I'm "smijen" there, too) if she wants to swap hat photos. :)
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

No she isn't on Ravelry, I found that pattern on facebook so she made up a couple. That's the first knitting she has done in a while, it's mostly quilting and sewing these days. :D
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

aradlaw wrote:My wife just finished this hat for our granddaughter yesterday. :9:
That is the cutest thing ever! :9:
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hi everyone,
I do crochet but mainly use double stitch. I've used single stitch in the past, but I forgot how to do it...can anyone please tell me, how do you do a single stitch again? Thanks.
Also, how do you do a triple stitch? I looked it up online but couldn't figure it out.
(Also, is this thread still active? I've noticed the last time volunteers posted here was two years ago...please tell me if I'm not supposed to be posting here :| :| )

Thanks for your help!

Best,
JayKitty
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

It's been a while since I have crocheted, but I will try to explain the triple stitch. It's basically like the double, you just add another step.

OK, just like with the double, you want to loop the yarn around your hook, except you do that twice. Then, you want do like you would with a double, go under the stitch of the row you are adding onto, grab the yarn and pull it through. You will have three loops on your hook. When you pull the yarn through the loops, you do just like a double, wrap and pull the yarn through each loop, which you will do three times. And that is it!

I hope I explained that well enough! It is really hard to pull that action into words!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I saw a show on the TV about someone who built a, house learning skills from youtube, maybe there is a How to Crochet there too?

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Youtube is a great resource for anything crafty. Here is a video for single crochet: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wgVOkQcf5qw

Here's one for treble (or triple): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DFS3fceNyJU

The best thing, of course, is to find a local knitting/crochet group to meet with. I don't have one currently, but I used to, and I really miss it. It's great having a bunch of folks to get together with and share what you're working on, teach, learn, etc.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

I learned quite a few stitches from youtube, i recommend it :thumbs:

In other news, im crocheting a scarf for my father for christmas. Hes a hunter and going on 70 so he needs to wrap himself up properly when he insists on sittting in a tree at night. So i chose thick, green 100% wool yarn and started making a scarf 60cm (2 ft) wide and over two meters (idk like 7 ft? 3 yards?) long (ill spare you a rant about how expensive wool is. I might just buy myself a couple of sheep and make wool myself before embarking on a project like this again). My fingers hurt, but i do get some proof listening done these days! It is almost done, ill post a picture before Christmas :D
Carolin
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

icequeen wrote: December 4th, 2018, 9:18 pm It's been a while since I have crocheted, but I will try to explain the triple stitch. It's basically like the double, you just add another step.

OK, just like with the double, you want to loop the yarn around your hook, except you do that twice. Then, you want do like you would with a double, go under the stitch of the row you are adding onto, grab the yarn and pull it through. You will have three loops on your hook. When you pull the yarn through the loops, you do just like a double, wrap and pull the yarn through each loop, which you will do three times. And that is it!

I hope I explained that well enough! It is really hard to pull that action into words!
Thank you, Ann! This helps a lot! :D It definitely makes sense, so thank you!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I just learned how to crochet, and I'm making my first project...it's a light green afghan (I started at 80 stitches, but for some reason, I keep losing stitches...like I said, it's my first project, and sort of a practice piece). I'm about a quarter of the way through, and it's really entertaining. I'll post a picture of it when I'm done. I don't know why I'm losing stitches, though...I don't think I'm skipping any stitches. Any advice is appreciated :D I Googled it and I could only find instructions to increase/decrease stitches at will, but nothing on why I'm accidentally losing stitches :|
It's a lot of fun to make :D
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Is it row after row? Do you perhaps lose a stitch when you change to the next row?

Congrats on starting your first project! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Rapunzelina wrote: December 5th, 2018, 4:32 pm Is it row after row? Do you perhaps lose a stitch when you change to the next row?

Congrats on starting your first project! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!
Thanks!
It is row after row...I am using double stitch and after every row (i.e., at the first stitch of every new row) I do a turning chain (is that the right name?) of three stitches. It's really strange because I count the stitches on every new row- once I lost 10+ stitches, then on the next row gained 6, then lost 1, then gained 1...etc. If you want, I can post a picture of the current state...it's not looking super wonky, either, as you might expect from losing so many and gaining so many row after row. You can just tell it lost a few (maybe 5 max)… so not exactly sure what's happening.
My original practice piece turned out teardrop-shaped, but I think that's because I wasn't using a turning chain...maybe? I just don't want my finished piece to eventually look like a triangle because I keep losing stitches :| :lol:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You might just be losing your place, not finding each stitch in the bottom row that you're supposed to build from. Is your yarn really fuzzy, such that the stitches are really hard to see?

I made my husband a scarf using really fuzzy yarn. I couldn't for the life of me see my row of stitches. The thing is the worst shape ever, because I kept adding and removing stitches. :? But he still wears it on really cold days! He wraps his neck inside his collar and tucks it inside his coat, so no one can see its sorry shape. :lol:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine