Knitting! (and other needle arts...)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
frogeyedape

Post by frogeyedape »

I have too many WIPs! Socks (self striping yarn, making up the pattern to fit my foot as I go along), lace shawl with handspun, a hat, a rug on the loom, plus the handspinning projects! The knitting yarn stash is bad (glorious!) enough, but now I've got fiber stash and weaving stash, too!
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Sometimes I tend to have too many ufo's, then I panic and either try to finish them, or FROG them, which drives my partner crazy. "I'm making a ball of yarn out of a sweater. That takes TALENT!"

Right now it's not too bad -- I have a pullover half done, made from some Mashem Mayhem I bought in Scotland last June. I have a hap shawl (made with some other yarn I bought in Scotland!) I think that's actually all. Maybe I need to start another project!
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
linny

Post by linny »

Although not a very active thread I thought I'd share my latest project. I have two nieces that are pregnant so two new baby blankets to makes. This is my standard baby blanket. It takes 2 different stitches, uses an I hook, and approximately 5 skeins of yarn. Between working on them when I DPL longer sections or in the evening while my husband watches tv they take about 2 weeks each to make.

They haven't been washed or blocked yet but here's the last one. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HAagHXIPMGrZ9YIr7dtNpIagfdjaHfgi
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Wow -- that's amazing! I'm a very basic crocheter -- much more of a knitter. I taught myself to crochet last year and went far enough with videos to be able to figure out the fancy shawl everyone was doing -- I can't remember the name now.

Other than a huge granny square, all in black (at the request of my grandson,) who wanted a black blanket, I'm mostly knitting.

Lucky babies -- that blanket is heirloom quality.
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Nan! That’s kind of you to say. I’m glad you like it. I gave one to a cousin a number of years back. She put it on the ground with little white Christmas lights under it with the baby on top. That’s the picture they used for their announcements. I was surprised at just how pretty the picture was. :9:

Since it’s only two stitches it’s actually pretty easy. Let me know if you ever want the pattern.

I tried to learn to knit last year. I got distracted trying to figure out the second row of a washcloth. :lol: I’ll have to give it another try someday.

I made a big red and white granny square throw from my mom a couple of years ago for Christmas. Before it was over I was pretty bored with it. I give you a lot of credit for sticking with it given it was just one color and a dark color at that.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, I tried the granny square throw as well, because I saw one at a relative's house that I admired. It's fun at first but gets very tedious by the end. I ran through two skeins and it wasn't quite as big as I wanted. But I wasn't having fun with it anymore and didn't want to go buy more yarn for a project I wasn't in love with. So it's only four feet or so.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I wondered what a "granny square throw" was, and followed a few threads about crocheting ... and found this: a crocheted face mask cover!

https://www.allfreecrochet.com/Crochet-Accessories/DIY-face-mask-crochet-pattern

How on earth can a crocheter (is that the right word), make so many little movements to create a couple of square metres of blanket?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oi, I really hope no one thinks they can crochet or knit a face mask and call it good. I know it says it's designed to be worn over your real mask, but a lot of people don't actually read these things, they just skip to the pattern. I wish I could just crochet one, since I'm much better at that than sewing. But it doesn't work that way.

To answer your question, Peter, one stitch at a time, that's how. :)
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

I have an almost brand new sewing machine set up on the dining room table, cotton-type fabric gathered from all over the house, extra needles, thread, and an iron. I want to sit down and make masks for my coworkers, family, and clients, but something always comes up.

The pattern is super simple -- your basic two-layer three-pleated mask (with a slit in the back to add filter material) -- no elastic, instead cloth ties.

I was working on a pillow with a colorwork owl on it. (It's on Ravelry -- just search "owl pillow.") Ten rows in, I realized I wasn't having fun, so I stopped. I like that owl too much to feel meh about the project. (Maybe it was the yarn I picked, I dunno.)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I was thinking of making my own mask, too ... and am digging my old sewing machine out. I've not done this yet; I've just been playing with paper to get the proportions right.

Make from muslin plus J-cloth, perhaps. I have some particle filter sheet for my kitchen exhaust fan that I might try instead of J-cloth.

I haven't a good line-drawing program, so I'll have to describe the pattern. An 8x5 inches rectangle, hemmed, marked with a (lengthways) horizontal mid-line. That line then cut across with lines 2.5 inches from each end. Each of the four corner squares folded on the diagonal from the corner and pinched, so the whole piece of cloth now forms a cup. Stitch firmly along those diagonals and cut off the flaps.

Make two of these, turn them so the stitches face inwards, and sew together with some filter material between them.

Sew tape along the top and bottom edges (perhaps 16 inches long, to give 4 inches at each end to tie behind the ears).
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

there are patterns on the internet - the straight pleated rectangle with hair ties as ear holders and a straightened paper clip to sit on the nose to a shaped one that went under the chin that people were making for their local hospitals and nursing homes.

Anne
What exactly is J cloth - I suppose I could google it. I've seen coffee filters suggested as the middle layer
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

J-cloth is a material made from what seems like a long-fibre paper, with a regular texture punched into it. Used for mopping up liquids, it doesn't break down as paper towel does, and can be washed.

Peter
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That seems to be what we call Chux (unless we buy them at Aldi :D cos they are cheaper)

Anne
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

I had a package of an industrial type towel by Brawny in the house, from when FC (Father Christmas, the person I live with without benefit of matrimony,) took care of his late wife. It is very dense and strong and does not tear. Maybe like J cloth? I then got all caught up in pandemic buying and got another huge box of something similar. My plan is to cut a lot of rectangles (or have FC do it -- he's 81 and has been in lockdown for 7 weeks, and gets giggly when he gets to unload the dishwasher, he's so bored,) and to put a dozen or so in the bag with the finished mask.

Sounds pretty ambitious for a Sunday, but I'm clocked in with not much to do in the field, so maybe today is mask day. (With a little Uncle Wiggley for funsies!)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I tried making one mask. I made the outer layer from a pair of busted-out jeans. I'd never tried sewing denim before, and was a bit nervous about it, but I took it slowly and carefully. Everything went mostly ok, until I got to the very last seam, and my machine decided it had had enough. No matter what I did, it refused to sew that final seam for me, and I finished up by hand. But now I'm afraid that my machine may not want to speak to me, and I'm scared to try again, even with a lighter material.

Oh, yes, and I forgot to mention.... Although the mask I made is beautiful, it's way too big for my husband's face. :|