Knitting! (and other needle arts...)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
carolb

Post by carolb »

Christine, I suggest you post this question in the Help/Advice thread - it will possibly be seen quicker there by someone who can answer. I had a look at the chapter, and know what it means. In a modern pattern the x would be a bracket. Perhaps you could say - 'Knit 10, then 'make I knit, 2 together' and repeat until 6 stitches remain.' It would make more sense than saying 'x' but I'm sure someone will advise.

Carol
Edited to add: Or maybe your BC and MC are of the rare breed of men who knit! Image
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi Christine,
:hmm: This is written a bit oddly. Normally it would be
Knit ten * make one, knit two together, repeat from * until six remain
and we would read
Knit ten, star, make one, knit two together, repeat from star until six remain
or
Knit ten, asterisk, make one, knit two together, repeat from asterisk until six remain

I guess you could read it as
14th row—Knit ten; "ex", make one and knit two together, repeat from "ex" until six remain; knit three; make one; knit three.

You can hear some examples in this project: http://librivox.org/exercises-in-knitting-by-cornelia-mee/
Sections 4 and 19 have examples (and probably some others as well).
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
christinelamberton

Post by christinelamberton »

Hello,

Thank you smijen and carol for your advice. I think I will read it as it is and just say "ex", as this will keep it simple.

Christine
wib66

Post by wib66 »

I thought I would resurrect this thread. I am currently crocheting Amigurumi dolls. I am working my way through a set of Dr Who for a friends son who is a mad fan and is a poorly lad. Doing this to cheer him up. Have also crocheted a Tardis to go with them. I have to say that they are all designed by Allison Hoffman a very talented lady.

What is everyone else doing?
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

I am working on a Doctor Who quilt for my daughter as a gift for graduation from high school. It's going to be a surprise. I have 10 of 20 blocks done and I'll be working on a dalek next. The patterns are being published by 2 friends in usa and the last pattern came out today. This is the Flickr group for it.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/2183212@N20/pool/with/11278839084/
- Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Hey, Wib66. I'd love to see photos of your Doctor Who stuff.

-Hazel
[size=150][i][color=cyan]Eat.[/color] [color=blue]Sleep.[/color] [color=darkblue]Read.[/color] [color=indigo]Repeat.[/color][/i][/size]
micky

Post by micky »

Michelle - those sound really cool! I would love to see some pictures or even patterns if you have a link:)
And Hazel - I am so jealous of your daughter, that quilt looks amazing:) I know she'll love it!

I am currently working on a 4th-Doctor scarf and have been for about 8 months now. Also, for my senior year I have a goal to make 100 hats for chemo patients for the program Halos of Hope, so I'm definitely busy working on hats:)

Micky
micky
mshine1217

Post by mshine1217 »

Hello,
I crochet, cross-stitch & needlepoint, although I'll try most anything. I'm currently working on two afghans (one @ work, one @ home), two hats for BFF's daughters and cross-stitching a celtic design. I had surgery on my left ankle last fall :( and was off my feet for two months. It was one of those situations where I had plenty of time with a very short attention span, so I had several projects going at the same time. I completed a sweater, vest, and granny square afghan during that time. It also lead me to LibriVox :clap: I'm so glad to meet people with so many different interests.
Karen aka mshine1217

"There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate." - Charles Dickens
wib66

Post by wib66 »

micky wrote:Michelle - those sound really cool! I would love to see some pictures or even patterns if you have a link:)
And Hazel - I am so jealous of your daughter, that quilt looks amazing:) I know she'll love it!

I am currently working on a 4th-Doctor scarf and have been for about 8 months now. Also, for my senior year I have a goal to make 100 hats for chemo patients for the program Halos of Hope, so I'm definitely busy working on hats:)

Micky
When I finish my latest one I will post a pic. You have to buy the patterns so you would have to go to her website. Not sure I can post it here as it could be classed as advertising. But just do a search for Dr Who crochet patterns on Google and you should be able to find them. :9:
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Today I knitted a superman-shirt and a cloak for my son's pet - but mostly I knit socks, mittens and pieces of children's clothing. Very destressing, though - and works well to do while I DPL :)
Kathrine
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

I crochet when I'm not chasing my foster kids around. I do mostly blankets and scarves. I taught myself about two years ago so that I could send foster kids back home to their parents with a blanket to serve as a reminder of us.

Then the ladies of my church started having babies in rapid succession, so I've also done about 7-8 baby blankets over the course of the two years, and am working on one at this moment for a baby that my friends adopted last week.
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

Links to pictures! Please? I love looking at what others are crafting.

-Hazel
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Well here he is finally David Tennant as Dr Who crocheted using Allison Hoffmans pattern. such fun creating these

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uHh3gMvIP0ptMmpqAKUYC_7bLG0W6kgJfUyvQ6SbS5U/edit
Michele
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

That's amazing! I love it. Is it a gift?

-- Hazel
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hazel Pethig wrote:That's amazing! I love it. Is it a gift?

-- Hazel
Yes it is for a young man who I work with who has a brain tumor. He is only 11 years old but is mature way beyond his years and never complains. He is a real inspiration and its hard to believe that one day he may not be with us. He is a mad Dr Who fan so I am crocheting him all the Dr Who dolls that Allison Hoffman has created. So far I have done Matt Smith and David Tennant. Have given him it today and he was made up with it. Just love seeing other people happy its worth everything. He wants me to make Dr number 4 next who is Tom Baker looking forward to doing that one. Will post a pic when it is finished.

:9:
Michele