Knitting! (and other needle arts...)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » October 15th, 2020, 1:32 pm

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 8:05 pm
The 1000 unique beanies challenge: https://www.bluemountainsgazette.com.au/story/6960526/knitting-nelda-makes-1000-beanies-for-operation-christmas-child/?cs=13425

Chris

P.S. While on oxygen too, by the looks of it.
Very cool! I couldn't agree more with the statement "It's something to do with your hands while you're watching TV. I always feel it's a waste of time just sitting and watching TV. I like to be doing something at the same time."

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » October 15th, 2020, 1:35 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 7:23 pm
StarFire wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 5:06 pm
Oh I had completely forgotten about this thread! Since I was last on here I've picked up crocheting! I usually make small stuffed animals (amigurumi's) but am currently working on a shawl for my grandmother
Stuffed animals are my favorite things to make as baby gifts. I'm nearly finished with this one: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-humpback-whale
My animals always turn out looking as if they were raised in a nuclear cleanup site. I've gotten older and lazy enough that I have my favorite hook sizes and whatever size it turns out is just fine by me. That doesn't work well for detail work. :lol:

StarFire

Post by StarFire » October 15th, 2020, 4:54 pm

My animals always turn out looking as if they were raised in a nuclear cleanup site. I've gotten older and lazy enough that I have my favorite hook sizes and whatever size it turns out is just fine by me. That doesn't work well for detail work. :lol:
haha yeah my first couple were not very pretty XD I usually work worsted weight with a very small hook (3.25 or 3.75 are my go-to for amigurumis) but I've done a few with chunky/two strands before and it's super fun to do! They come out much bigger but it's much easier to work cause you don't have to have your nose quite so close to see the stitches :lol:
--Winter

"I know nothing with any certainty,
but the sight of the stars makes me dream"
- Van Goph

Nedge

Post by Nedge » October 16th, 2020, 8:09 am

Wow. I am so impressed! I have gone full stop into charity knitting and then quit abruptly, although I have friends who only knit for charities.

I've been doing scarve shawls, beanies, (I just did a reversible one that was fun,) and I'm working on a coat sweater for my grandson. I suppose it's almost mitten time.
"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strength." -- Corrie ten Boom

Bookerina

Post by Bookerina » November 9th, 2020, 11:27 am

That's so cool! I wished I was enough skilled to be able to knit for other people. I did a few beanies and scarfs, but nothing I'd like to wear sooo... :roll: . But even if the end result doesn't match my expectations I still love the process, so relaxing!
How did you guys learned to knit? Have you got some tutorials or books to share?

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » November 9th, 2020, 11:49 am

I like to say I learnt the traditional way; from my grandmother :D
in a time when youtube and youtube tutorial were non existent
and I had a few old books, borrowed from my mom :mrgreen: